Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Anyone else notice ads on Sirius radio? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/anyone-else-notice-ads-on-sirius-radio-62251.html)

rich mac 07-01-2013 08:58 PM

Anyone else notice ads on Sirius radio?

Since I've had my subscription to Sirius radio (a little over two years), I've tolerated the DJs (why do they even need DJs?) talk over the beginning and ending of songs, announcements of upcoming events, and listener call in. Recently they have started having commercials for the Sirius All Access package complete with the web site address where to buy. This is an extra cost upgrade package.
Am I wrong in thinking this violates their "no commercials" promise? Anyone else have a problem with this, or should I just get back on my meds?
:confused:

AAAA 07-01-2013 09:07 PM

Re: Anyone else notice ads on Sirius radio?

Just like cable TV's "no ad" policy back in the late '70's and early '80's!

jacko15 07-01-2013 09:20 PM

I was getting lots of ads on XM as far back as 6-7 years ago. SAT radio is definitely overpriced for what you are getting, even when you haggle a discount.

Northland 07-01-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 851472)
I was getting lots of ads on XM as far back as 6-7 years ago. SAT radio is definitely overpriced for what you are getting, even when you haggle a discount.

Yep - I heard ads on XM (way before Sirius bought them out) starting many years ago; after they looked me in the eye and promised me "ad free service" when I first signed up back then. The way to get Sirius is wait until just before or after your free trial expires; call them and tell them the full subscription price is too much so you won't renew. After some protests on their part, and maybe transferring you to another CSR, they'll eventually offer you a year's full subscription for around $77.00. But, never give them a credit card number - make them invoice you for it (and they'll charge you another $2.00 to send a paper invoice). If you give them a cc number they'll put your account on auto-charge and you'll be renewed at the full rate the next year.

Route 66 07-01-2013 10:45 PM

They have been commercial free on music channels like the 50's through 90's and have commercials on most other channels, loads of commercials on news stations.

jacko15 07-02-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northland (Post 851507)
But, never give them a credit card number - make them invoice you for it (and they'll charge you another $2.00 to send a paper invoice). If you give them a cc number they'll put your account on auto-charge and you'll be renewed at the full rate the next year.

I've read on other forums of folks doing this and having their checking accounts auto billed a year later. I'd send them a money order to be safe.

padgett 07-02-2013 07:53 AM

I'm just turning everything into .mp3 and .wma & putting on an SD card. 32 GB can hold about 600 albums. If that is not enough, another 32 GB can hold another 600.

Nice thing about a tablet is that it displays the album covers and can sort by album, artist, or title.

Am working with an Acer W3 now: Windows 8 in an 8" form factor. Just popped the music SD out of the 7" Samsung Android tablet and into the Windows tab.

ps Sirius keeps sending me $25 for six months offer. Not interested. As was said once in it is very hard to turn off.

jerryw1000 07-02-2013 07:44 PM

I had no problem canceling my service last month. My subscription was up 06/06 and I called them a week before and told them I did not wish to renew and that under no circumstances were they to bill my credit card. That night I logged on to their web site and my "account" had a notice that my subscription was due to expire 06/06 and on 06/07 my service disappeared. No charges on my CC. I am now getting the $24.95 for 6 months and no activation fee offers......which I may take them up on. I don't listen to music much but I miss the news and talk radio. Keeps the wife from talking.

sndrsk 07-03-2013 11:50 PM

The ads and host voiceovers and all of that junk is what prompts me to not renew Sirius after my trial period expires when buying a new vehicle. If I'm going to listen to DJ's babble, I at least want it to be local and relevant to me. I'm also not a fan of how they organized their channels and genres.

jk101 07-04-2013 08:10 AM

Sirius is crap. The quality is so bad it's unlistenable, which is why I never use it even though its free for the first year. I'll stick with streaming Slacker through my iPhone

jacko15 07-04-2013 10:26 AM

Sirius/XM's business model is creating renewing revenue streams, not satisfying customers with service and content. If any customers are happy, it's purely by accident. I might consider keeping TravelLink and NavTraffic, but for music, there are just too many better alternatives to be wasting my money on all the low quality entertainment they pump out.

Overland1 07-04-2013 10:33 AM

That high speed disclaimer after the "medication" ads is sort of funny, though. :lol: