Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Heat Wave? Let's talk about snow tires.... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/heat-wave-lets-talk-about-snow-tires-62265.html)

DanMartin 07-02-2013 01:09 AM

Heat Wave? Let's talk about snow tires....

Hey all,

Thinking ahead to this winter, I'd like to have a plan in place for the SRT when the ice and snow hits.

Does anyone have experience with the Scorpion Ice & Snow tires in actual ice and snow with an SRT?

Also, who has a line on black aftermarket (read:cheap) wheels that will fit a
'14 SRT? I see a lot of stuff out there for the JGC, but few of them fit the SRT, and I want to order a set for bolt-on winter tires.

Thoughts?

Dan Martin
'14 JGC SRT Brilliant Black/Black Vapor

rusty104 07-14-2013 06:19 AM

Re: Heat Wave? Let's talk about snow tires....

I bought a set last winter and although we had only two good storms, they worked well. A friend of mine has a Subaru and my wife has a Volvo XC70, both AWD had some front wheel slippage in my driveway before all 4 wheels caught. My JGC didn't slip a bit.
Do you NEED a set of snows to move the beast - probably not. But there's no question that snows not only will move you better but will also stop you better than all season tires. I'm glad a bought them.
I bought a set of used factory wheels on e-bay for the second set.

SRTgeek 07-14-2013 08:23 AM

Living in Canada - you'd best believe I'll be adding snow tires. I've got to buy wheels as well though, and I need to figure out the sizes to fit over the Brembos.

good times :D

DCRSRT 07-15-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR8 (Post 858020)
and I need to figure out the sizes to fit over the Brembos.

You'll need 20" rims apparently. Not sure about you US guys, but in Aus we get a 18" spare which for some stupid reason wont fit on the front!!!

If your front tyre (tire) gets flat, you have to put the spare on the rear and your rear on the front.

DanMartin 07-15-2013 10:13 PM

It's probably the same here (I wonder why I had that spare at all with run-flats).

I need to get a set of factory wheels for this winter I guess (I hate the dismount/mount game).

Here in Portland, OR where I am, we get snow/ice about every other year or so, but we do get frosty mornings and a LOT of rain. With the cold/wet, we need a compound that works well in the wet when the ambient temp is below 50.

rusty104 07-16-2013 04:50 AM

The first thing I did when I got my Jeep was to remove the spare. Not only does it reduce vehicle weight , it opens up a huge space for storage.

lstowell 07-16-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanMartin (Post 851536)
Hey all,

Thinking ahead to this winter, I'd like to have a plan in place for the SRT when the ice and snow hits.

Does anyone have experience with the Scorpion Ice & Snow tires in actual ice and snow with an SRT?

Also, who has a line on black aftermarket (read:cheap) wheels that will fit a
'14 SRT? I see a lot of stuff out there for the JGC, but few of them fit the SRT, and I want to order a set for bolt-on winter tires.

Thoughts?

Dan Martin
'14 JGC SRT Brilliant Black/Black Vapor

If they make them in your size, try the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV.
Although your SRT isn't a Bentley going over 200 mph, world's finest ice tire and in the top 2-3 for snow.
New ice world record

Dadio61 07-17-2013 01:53 PM

I went with a set of knockoff SRT wheels from eBay & mounted 265/50/20 blizzaks on them. Not planning on any 100+mph runs at -20, so this setup will work fine.

DanMartin 07-17-2013 03:16 PM

The problem with the knock-offs is that many of them do not fit on a real SRT Jeep! That's my challenge...finding some cheapies that will clear the brakes and not look goofy.

Dan

phillysrt 07-24-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanMartin (Post 860005)
The problem with the knock-offs is that many of them do not fit on a real SRT Jeep! That's my challenge...finding some cheapies that will clear the brakes and not look goofy.

Dan

All factory repos for over the front brembos

12Jeep 07-24-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCRSRT (Post 858427)
You'll need 20" rims apparently. Not sure about you US guys, but in Aus we get a 18" spare which for some stupid reason wont fit on the front!!!

If your front tyre (tire) gets flat, you have to put the spare on the rear and your rear on the front.

Yep, we get the same spare!!