Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   05 wk completely shuts off while driving (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/05-wk-completely-shuts-off-while-driving-62316.html)

creativeblendz 07-03-2013 04:55 AM

05 wk completely shuts off while driving

I have an 05 grand Cherokee and while driving about 40-45mph, the engine completely shuts down and the check engine pops on. I have checked the code it was throwing and it came up as "egr position sensor high." I have taken it to my local mechanic and they say that code wouldn't make the engine to stall out. To make a long story short they don't know the reason why its stalling out. I have the 4.7 liter engine btw.

jeepgcoman 07-03-2013 09:38 AM

Re: 05 wk completely shuts off while driving

First, get a new mechanic. If the EGR valve opens too far when it is not suppose to, especially at lower RPM, it will kill the engine. My guess is that you'll have a few other subtle symptoms going on also....erratic rough idle, low speed surging, and maybe lousy fuel economy and performance. Bottom line is to change the EGR Valve. The part shouldn't cost too much.....about $30-50. Try to get a name brand, not some "never heard of" brand.

dr.lee.baugh 07-03-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 852275)
First, get a new mechanic. If the EGR valve opens too far when it is not suppose to, especially at lower RPM, it will kill the engine. My guess is that you'll have a few other subtle symptoms going on also....erratic rough idle, low speed surging, and maybe lousy fuel economy and performance. Bottom line is to change the EGR Valve. The part shouldn't cost too much.....about $30-50. Try to get a name brand, not some "never heard of" brand.

x2. Many people on this forum have experienced stalling due to a bad EGR (even with no code being set).

On the off chance that the EGR is not causing your stalling issues, the code is telling you that the EGR is no good anyway and you should have it replaced regardless.

jeepgcoman 07-03-2013 03:44 PM

Amen, Doc!!

creativeblendz 07-03-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 852275)

Thanks for your insight. Do you think I should get this part directly from mopar or from any auto parts store?

jeepgcoman 07-03-2013 05:14 PM

I got mine from O'Reilly's, and it has worked fine for ~20K, so far. There's a thread right now on one of these forums where a member is having problems again, after not that many miles. Don't know what type he used, but if you can find one made in the U.S. or ?? (as opposed to China), I'd go for it first. You could check the dealers but, as I recall, they're way out of line in the prices for these. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and where you get your part(s) and the price. Also, do a search online. Sometimes there are good deals on good parts there.