Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/finally-got-around-to-testing-a-14-v6-overland-62339.html)

JWS360 07-03-2013 03:54 PM

FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
Finally got around to driving a 2014 JGC Overland with a V6. Much, much nicer in person than expected. The interior was indeed well finished.

Positives include a well finished interior, comfortable seats and surprisingly intuitive touchscreeen interface, although hard buttons for seat heaters/vents would be appreciated. It was surprisingly quiet on both the highway and local roads, although the thicker "A" pillars do obstruct vision. I do see why some complained of the white stitching on the dash reflecting in the windshield. Didn't think I'd care, but it was surprisingly noticeable.

Power is best described as "adequate", but then again I'm coming from a BMW 335xi. The 8 has more power, but abysmal gas mileage. Since I don't tow and likely never will I cannot justify it, nor is the maybe going to appear someday in our lifetime diesel in the cards. At $4500 more it would take several years at least just to break even factoring in the higher fuel cost.

What pissed me off was the color I THOUGHT was Granite and would consider is really the now discontinued "Mineral Grey". Granite was "eh", thus leaving white as a possibility.

Going to give this more thought, but the Jeep is indeed in the running. Now, if I could only get over not having a BMW for the first time in who knows how many years.......

We also looked at a 2014 MDX. And then we walked away. Chick mobile!

Still undecided on lease vs. buy, but can see from here that 5% under invoice seems to be the going rate.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Willx 07-03-2013 04:12 PM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
I just finished a thorough run in the JGC... The Hemi is better on fuel than I thought and it performed better than I thought. The Transmission with the Hemi is the EXACT same model tranny as the BMW if that helps your BMW fever :D

LSU_FAN 07-03-2013 04:41 PM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
We average 16-18 with the Hemi with mostly city driving, IMO thats not bad for any SUV. Our's is 2wd and has 18" tires which probably helps a little on the mpg's. I don't tow with the JC but having the extra power from the 8 is very nice, it makes you feel confident while merging into traffic or passing the Sunday driver. When we were shopping I felt the exact opposite as most here when it was time to choose between the 8 and the 6, I couldn't justify buying the 6 because in my mind the little extra it did cost will be made up when I sell or trade it.

JWS360 07-03-2013 08:07 PM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LSU_FAN (Post 852506)
We average 16-18 with the Hemi with mostly city driving, IMO thats not bad for any SUV. Our's is 2wd and has 18" tires which probably helps a little on the mpg's. I don't tow with the JC but having the extra power from the 8 is very nice, it makes you feel confident while merging into traffic or passing the Sunday driver. When we were shopping I felt the exact opposite as most here when it was time to choose between the 8 and the 6, I couldn't justify buying the 6 because in my mind the little extra it did cost will be made up when I sell or trade it.

I'll have to drive the 8, but am concerned that the next round of gas price hikes could have an adverse effect on value as we saw before. Neither version will approach the 4.8 0-60 of a 335xi, so what's the difference? Still, you raise good points so I'll have to drive it. Much as I love BMW, I'm starting to get a few years under my belt & don't appreciate hunching to get into the car. The Jeep was certainly easier to enter/exit! Besides, as fast as a BMW is I never really get to use it. Too many damned speed traps and the like. Thought about a 535, but the prices are insane. Can't justify 63-65K once optioned as a BMW should be.

acilate 07-03-2013 08:25 PM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
I quite like the Granite color. Add some matte black in instead of chrome, and it looks dead sexy. To each his own though. More Granite for me :D

JWS360 07-03-2013 08:35 PM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by acilate (Post 852619)
I quite like the Granite color. Add some matte black in instead of chrome, and it looks dead sexy. To each his own though. More Granite for me :D

I really liked the "Mineral Grey" they have apparently discontinued. I'll have to look at it again in the sunlight. Today was overcast.

Where did you get the matte black trim for the exterior?

acilate 07-03-2013 08:44 PM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
Well I don't have a JGC yet, I'm waiting for the diesel. Search around for "plasti dip" - that is where I plan on starting and then as I decide what I want to stay matte black, I'll have them painted/powder coated.

mceb 07-04-2013 08:35 AM

Try it with the eco button off too (middle button below screen), gives little power boost when you need it by changing trans shifting range

Check out the indigo and brown interior on the overland - amazing with white or grey exterior

JWS360 07-04-2013 08:41 AM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mceb (Post 852833)
Try it with the eco button off too (middle button below screen), gives little power boost when you need it by changing trans shifting range

Check out the indigo and brown interior on the overland - amazing with white or grey exterior

Good point- I did try it with Eco off. Made a slight, but noticeable difference.

Didn't see any indigo/brown interiors. Not stocked in the 2 local dealers I visited. Will try others as I come across them.

kbrown127 07-04-2013 11:19 AM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
We wound up with a black limited, but almost chose the billet silver. It isn't as dark as the mineral grey was, but I think it is definitely more grey than silver. Ultimately Black on Black won out for us though.

lstowell 07-04-2013 11:32 AM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 852490)
I just finished a thorough run in the JGC... The Hemi is better on fuel than I thought and it performed better than I thought. The Transmission with the Hemi is the EXACT same model tranny as the BMW if that helps your BMW fever :D

It seems the mileage on the Hemi is highly dependent on how trained your right foot is. If you have the bad habit of toggling the gas pedal, you'll be dropping into the low teens quickly. If you can keep your foot fairly steady and get out of the lower gears quickly without going to WOT, you can get 17-18 even in city driving.

The nicest thing about the hemi seems to be in the range from 30-80 where you can transition from anywhere in the bottom of that range to 80 very smoothly and seamlessly.

It keeps going from there, but then you need a trailer to haul a gasoline tank along....

With limited miles, don't see any difference between midgrade and premium. The OM ways premium isn't recommended and that it will run just fine on regular, but luckily the difference in my main driving area is only a few pennies.

Tried the V6, but at high altitude and steep hills, it sorta failed the "I-70 uphill test" even with the 8 speeds.

LSU_FAN 07-04-2013 10:58 PM

Re: FInally got around to testing a '14 V6 Overland
 
When you test drive the Hemi give sport mode a try it's a difference you can feel.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community