Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Says its not so !! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/says-its-not-so-62389.html)

Erina 07-05-2013 02:45 AM

Says its not so !!

Article in newspaper auto section today ( Australian ) claims the current 2014 SRT may be the last often big V8's for the JGC due to increasingly tight mileage and emission targets.

Man if that's right I am going to grab a SRT and put it in cottonwool.

Scottina06 07-05-2013 06:41 AM

Re: Says its not so !!

meh....maybe in 10 years?

JeepFreak12 07-05-2013 06:54 AM

They wouldnt stop production because of poor gas mileage, I dont think people buy SRT's for that lol. Plus thats why they issued the "Gas Guzzlers Tax" when you purchase the vehicle.

DCRSRT 07-05-2013 06:57 AM

For you US boys its an Aussie news article.

We increasingly live in a nanny state where the Gov thinks they know better than the people.

ba_jeepfan 07-05-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCRSRT (Post 853168)

We increasingly live in a nanny state where the Gov thinks they know better than the people.

I think we can relate. Perhaps our friends down under don't read the US news but we aren't too far behind. They want to run everything from A to Z.

GenevaSRT8 07-05-2013 11:20 AM

From what we know about the next GC SRT, it seems with the current engine we are indeed peaking in terms of displacement (the next engine being forecast as the "hellcat" supercharged 6.2)
But there is still a LOT of way to go before we end up with something like a 900cc 3-cylinder triple turbo... :D

RockSRT8 07-12-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 853166)
They wouldnt stop production because of poor gas mileage, I dont think people buy SRT's for that lol. Plus thats why they issued the "Gas Guzzlers Tax" when you purchase the vehicle.

No gas guzzler tax on the GC SRT because it's considered a "truck". That was a pleasant surprise. My Challenger had one I believe.

JeepFreak12 07-12-2013 12:47 PM

Hmm that's weird that they consider it a truck when the registration company classifies it as a station wagon lol.

LSU_FAN 07-17-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 853166)

It wouldn't be because of the customers it would be because of government regulations. Chrysler as a whole has to maintain a certain mpg average through out the fleet of vehicles they offer, thats why your gas guzzlers will be the first to go.

lstowell 07-17-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockSRT8 (Post 857093)
No gas guzzler tax on the GC SRT because it's considered a "truck". That was a pleasant surprise. My Challenger had one I believe.

Some gov'ts are aware that many vehicles classified as "trucks" aren't really, and some of the lack of requirements for mileage are to be disappearing--at least on the north side of the big pond.

Hopefully work on battery/hybrid technology keeps going to where a hybrid SRT is faster than the current one.

[Disclaimer: I don't own an SRT, but boy oh boy do I think about it every now and then...and I hope outrageous vehicles like this are not doomed to extinction.]

lstowell 07-17-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCRSRT (Post 853168)

Oh lord, they've migrated down under as well, huh?

lstowell 07-17-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 857176)
Hmm that's weird that they consider it a truck when the registration company classifies it as a station wagon lol.

Oh now wait a minute. The Jeep is still a jeep even if it does cruise Nurburgring like a Porsche. The glorified overpriced station wagons are the Ford Explorer, GMC/Chev Blazer, the new Nissan Pathfinder, etc. etc. etc.
... although a 7+ litre ls7 Blazer might be a hoot as well.