Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   High-Pitched Tuning Fork Noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/high-pitched-tuning-fork-noise-62396.html)

Lepactedesloups 07-05-2013 09:20 AM

High-Pitched Tuning Fork Noise

New issue with my 2014 WK2 just started a week or so ago.

Occasionally, when I enter a turn (be it a curve or a full-blown turn), I get this maybe 5 second long "tone" from the car. It's like a high-pitched noise (a consistent squeak), like a whistle or maybe a tuning fork noise. It's a very consistent tone, and then it goes away. It's not a scrape or a grind, it's a very clean sound (if that makes sense).

I only hear it at lower speeds (never on highway). I am NOT always depressing the brakes when this happens. Note that the tone can continue passed the turn for a second or two (even when wheel is straight again). It doesn't seem to happen when I am parked and I turn the wheel left or right (so don't think it's steering pump, but I am no expert). Could this be the brake wear indicator on one of my wheels rubbing something when I am turning (as if one of them is off somehow)? I have yet to take it in and have the dealer look at it, but of course, it feels like the beginning of another exercise in frustration since it's quite intermittent.

I've driven with my radio and climate fully off to eliminate any possibilities and to hear it better (also to make sure the A/C is off to ensure it's not an A/C issue).

Note that when I stop at a light or a stop sign, I hear a brief similar noise as I am braking, but it's a lot quieter and very very short duration (it stops when I stop), so I am not certain if it's the same thing.

peckmv 07-07-2013 10:45 AM

Re: High-Pitched Tuning Fork Noise

I have the same thing on my 12' JGC and I have 26k miles. The dealer has no clue. They claim its gear whine. When it happens I switched to sport mode and it goes away. I switch back and the noise is back. I figured its in the trans and based on this crappy trans, it doesn't surprise me. Chrysler doesn't seem to be concerned along with a lot of other noises this Jeep makes. Chrysler has a history of trans problems over the years and I guess this is the norm for their products.:cool:

Lepactedesloups 07-08-2013 12:48 PM

I'll try the Sports Mode check and see if that stops it (to see if it's the same thing). Gotta say, I am not liking these "mystery noises" the Jeep makes :(

jjezek 07-18-2013 10:28 AM

I heard a similar "tuning fork" kind of noise several times yesterday . I think it was related to A/C and fan running full blast. When I turned down the fan the sound went away though it could have been a coincidence. More testing is needed.

Lepactedesloups 07-19-2013 09:38 AM

I've documented the noise for those that are interested. It's clearly audible in the video:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Mystery Noise" - YouTube

Hard to get the kids to stay quiet for these videos :)

Note that this has nothing to do with A/C. I've tried it with it on and off. Dealer is blaming the "power steering pump" but won't replace it (yet, I am working on it) saying that it's normal. Please....

satori 07-23-2013 11:14 AM

OK, I think I've been hearing this too. I wrote it off as just a few random events but now that I see others have heard it, I will pay closer attention to the circumstances in which it happens.

dramtaker 07-23-2013 12:28 PM

I too hear the noise. It is exactly as I hear it in your Youtube clip. Thanks for posting. I just bought the 2014 Jeep JGC Limited a couple weeks ago. I have 600 miles on it (dealer had 250 on it already). If I put my ear against the steering wheel, I can clearly tell the noise is coming from the steering column area. However, I have no clue what is causing the sound. I did have a bracket removed a week after I bougth the Jeep because of a vibrating noise (which by the can be seen on youtube if you have that particular problem). I plan on taking it on this week or weekend and I'll report my findings. The sound I hear is a consistent, high-pitched, tuning fork like sound as described by previous commenters.

geox19 07-23-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 854127)
I have the same thing on my 12' JGC and I have 26k miles. The dealer has no clue. They claim its gear whine. When it happens I switched to sport mode and it goes away. I switch back and the noise is back. I figured its in the trans and based on this crappy trans, it doesn't surprise me. Chrysler doesn't seem to be concerned along with a lot of other noises this Jeep makes. Chrysler has a history of trans problems over the years and I guess this is the norm for their products.:cool:

That would be weird if the noise is transmission related since he has a different model transmission then you but hey who knows.

mceb 07-24-2013 08:07 AM

lol I heard the mystery tuning fork noise this morning thought I was going nuts. Have to be going slow with windows up and no radio to hear it. No idea what it is.

Qtypie617 07-29-2013 10:58 AM

I hear this noise periodically on deceleration at speeds anywhere from 60mph to 30mph. The noise can be faint to fairly loud. I have been watching a similar thread on the SRT board as I want to see what is being deemed the root cause before I let the dealer start tinkering. My Jeep runs fine, no impact to performance etc. I would be interested if anyone has had it successfully fixed and what the culprit was? Read could be drive shaft, CV Joint.

Lepactedesloups 07-29-2013 12:36 PM

Mine is so specific, that's why I can capture it on camera. It's never when braking, only on subtle turns, never on 90 degree turns from a stop like at a light. Seems to happen more often after I've been driving a while. It really sounds hydraulic, like something is "letting off steam" so to speak (as you can hear in my video). It's such a precise-pitched noise. Anyway...

Took it to dealer today, they acknowledge they hear the noise (oh boy). There is a "zone technician" from Jeep coming to take a look at it and my videos on Thursday of this week (8/1). I will post anything else that comes out of it. If this is a normal noise for the 2014, which I doubt, EVERYONE would be hearing it and there'd be a lot more people trying to get the issue fixed. Last time I buy a vehicle in the first model year like this (where something major has been redesigned).

JeepPhoto 07-29-2013 02:59 PM

It's funny I came on here today to see if anyone else was hearing this. For me it's probably started in the last 500 miles and used to just do it on turns but now I can hear it at slower speeds when slightly pressing the gas pedal.

2014 JGC Summit