Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Power sunroof without power (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/power-sunroof-without-power-62453.html)

jacko15 07-06-2013 07:45 PM

Power sunroof without power

I'm not having a problem, but this came up in a conversation today. My friend's car has a crank handle with the jack that fits a fitting in the roof to close the sunroof if the battery is dead. Could come in handy in certain situations. Does the JGC have anything like this? Couldn't find anything in the OM. Just wondering.

AAAA 07-07-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Power sunroof without power

Well, 129 people have viewed this with no response. All I can guess is that we all close our roof before we turn off the ignition. Seriously, I do remember this feature on cars but considering Jeep is removing features (flipper glass) I doubt it exists or will exist.

jp467 07-07-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 854149)
Well, 129 people have viewed this with no response. All I can guess is that we all close our roof before we turn off the ignition. Seriously, I do remember this feature on cars but considering Jeep is removing features (flipper glass) I doubt it exists or will exist.

I have had many jeeps and other cars with sunroofs and have never seen this feature. As far as the flipper glass I think that was removed because nobody used it and they would leak sometimes. So it probably wasn't worth the expense to have a feature that nobody used and also could leak.

jacko15 07-07-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 854177)
I have had many jeeps and other cars with sunroofs and have never seen this feature. As far as the flipper glass I think that was removed because nobody used it and they would leak sometimes. So it probably wasn't worth the expense to have a feature that nobody used and also could leak.

You may have opened up an old can of worms with that statement! :slapfight:

Debauch 07-07-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 854177)

Use it all time.

Sample size: 1.

Tony407 07-07-2013 07:19 PM

I don't think any car I've ever owned had a crank to manually close the sunroof.

Tony

hemi15 07-07-2013 07:38 PM

I only saw this on my roadster. None of my cars had it for a sunroof including 05 WK.

BobsWK2 07-07-2013 07:45 PM

I remember when I got a 1993 Lexus SC400 back in late 92, it had a small crank handle for the sunroof that was in with the tool kit.

bill_de 07-07-2013 07:49 PM

I've been thinking about this, and for some reason I couldn't put my finger on it just seemed it really wouldn't help that much. Then, about a minute ago it started pouring out.
I didn't give the sunroof a thought because I never open it. But I had to stop and think if my windows were closed. I leave them open most of the time when my car is in the driveway. And, if the battery was dead I couldn't close them without a crank.

So I propose we have one crank that will close the sunroof, the windows, and what the heck, lets use it to start the car. :lol:

---

AAAA 07-08-2013 06:03 AM

OK. I remember that when the VW Beetle went from a fabric sunroof to a metal one it used a crank exclusively.
Flipper glass... where do I start? I use mine often. It was one of the features that caused me consider the new Grand Cherokee. I also imagine that if you have a trailer or hitch rack the flipper glass comes in real handy in accessing the "way back." I guess I can get used to it if I trade for a newer one in 2015, but not thrilled by its removal.

Willx 07-08-2013 06:20 AM

Interesting thought,

My camping trailer comes with manual cranks for the front jack, ground jacks and the slide and all fit into a power drill just in case. I think they do it because of the weight and higher chance of failure, not power loss because you can back feed everything from the tow vehicle if the batteries die.

I believe I had seen a sunroof crank many years ago but I believe it was placed there because again the chance of failure was higher back then. I suppose if you were really worried about it (ran your battery down often) you could put a mini 12 Volt (jetski battery) with some clamp leads in your trunk storage bin beside the tire. That would be enough to close up everything in a pinch.... still room on the other side for the booster cables once you find a power donor!

suzieque 07-08-2013 12:33 PM

I use my WK flipper glass quite often, I consider it an excellent feature.

The problem with a manual crank sunroof is then owners will want manual crank power windows. I recall a co-worker that demanded any vehicle he own have manual windows in case of a rollover.

I've read about power sunroof issues that cause them to stay open, I guess a manual override would be nice to have in cases of a stuck power sunroof.