Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   V8 eco mode vs V6 sport mode (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/v8-eco-mode-vs-v6-sport-mode-62457.html)

dtrvm 07-06-2013 10:12 PM

V8 eco mode vs V6 sport mode

What is the performance difference for v6 in sport mode vs v8 in eco mode.

I think edmunds claims the 0 to 60 times for each is 0.8 seconds. I have driven both and the 8 is nicer. But I do not put my foot into it all the time so I was just curious if there was any data for 6 sport vs 8 eco?

LeCheese 07-06-2013 10:24 PM

Re: V8 eco mode vs V6 sport mode

Get the diesel. V8 performance with better than V6 economy :D

JeepGCOverland 07-07-2013 10:05 AM

Go for the V8. If you like it better, go ahead and get it or you will be hitting yourself later. You *might* actually get better fuel economy driving the V8 in Eco than driving the V6 in sport because the V8 won't be straining as much.

JoeD 07-07-2013 01:34 PM

On my 2013 Hemi Eco mode only works when under light throttle position or low engine load like cruising down the road. It's not on all the time so I don't see how it can be compared.

jdchamp31 07-07-2013 01:36 PM

They are talking about the14's. on the 11-13 there is no Eco Mode per say. The vehicle will display ECO when your driving habits equal good fuel economy or the cylinder deactivation is active.

On the 14 there is an actual Eco mode button and a more enhanced sport mode. That is the question here

Baalic 08-12-2013 11:19 AM

It has the fuel cutouff also when you are coasting, not sure if the 13's have that feature or not but you can watch your MPG go from 14-20 to 99 as soon as you let off the gas, and playing with this feature, on eco and using extremly passive driving techniques, I was able to get 24-26 mpg average on a short 6 mile trip through town.....though it I never caugt a redlight I could have had around 30 mpg.....and yes this was on the 5.7....IN TOWN

Specx 08-12-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalic (Post 874475)
It has the fuel cutouff also when you are coasting, not sure if the 13's have that feature or not but you can watch your MPG go from 14-20 to 99 as soon as you let off the gas, and playing with this feature, on eco and using extremly passive driving techniques, I was able to get 24-26 mpg average on a short 6 mile trip through town.....though it I never caugt a redlight I could have had around 30 mpg.....and yes this was on the 5.7....IN TOWN

I did the exact same thing with the same results. My wife brought the car home on empty and didn't realize the light had been on. I ended up taking the risk and driving to the gas station and as long as I babied it and continued to get green lights, I was getting mid 20's in the city. By the time I got to the station, the low message indicator turned off and it said I had 33 miles worth of fuel in the tank. I'm sure the V6 can do even better if treated the same, but I was happy to see if I need and allowed to, the V8 can manage fuel consumption very well.

f1anatic 08-12-2013 06:13 PM

How many of us had a chance to put both models through their paces ? It is a very...difficult comparison to achieve especially since you are not comparing apples to apples (e.g. ECO mode for both engine types)

YjagetaJeep 08-13-2013 12:50 AM

Yes, the 5.7 can get decent mileage...but if you live where there are hills, you'll pretty much have to coast all the downhills to make up for that tremendous sucking sound going uphill...especially if you get a redlight at the bottom of some of those hills. Inertia is a SOB for a 2-1/2 ton vehicle! Worth it though...I LOVE MY BIG WK2!