Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/summit-v8-hemi-fuel-choice-62488.html)

jeepman917 07-07-2013 08:32 PM

Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

hi all..

regarding my 2014 Jeep Summit..

After I ran through my first tank of dealer provided gas - I filled up with regular. Immediately I noticed a performance issue - not only was the car a bit sluggish - the MPG average (after reset on fill up) was way lower -- and was lower while driving.

Like to get your opinion on fuel for the hemi based on your experience. What are you guys putting in and what is your experience...

Subsequently - I ran the tank to half and put in premium - effectively having a full take of a mid range octane... The car ran much better (still not as good as when I picked it up with dealer gas)... Maybe the gas I got at second fill up was sub parr - it was from Sams club - Ive never had problems there.

Thanks! Appreciate your advice. I know what the manual says - looking for your opinions and experience...

xJoshxx 07-07-2013 08:33 PM

Re: Summit - V8 Hemi - Fuel choice

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepman917 (Post 854350)
hi all..

After I ran through my first tank of dealer provided gas - I filled up with regular. Immediately I noticed a performance issue - not only was the car a bit sluggish - the MPG average (after reset on fill up) was way lower -- and was lower while driving.

Like to get your opinion on fuel for the hemi based on your experience. What are you guys putting in and what is your experience...

Subsequently - I ran the tank to half and put in premium - effectively having a full take of a mid range octane... The car ran much better (still not as good as when I picked it up with dealer gas)... Maybe the gas I got at second fill up was sub parr - it was from Sams club - Ive never had problems there.

Thanks! Appreciate your advice. I know what the manual says - looking for your opinions and experience...

Owners Manual States 89+

BobsWK2 07-07-2013 08:36 PM

I bet most dealers only put 87 octane in the WK2, no matter what engine it has in it.

jeepman917 07-07-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 854355)
I bet most dealers only put 87 octane in the WK2, no matter what engine it has in it.

Agree - in fact it was the dealer who told me they use regular when I went to get my plates - and - that is what they suggest. Not what I found out to be true - at least not with that fill up...

xJoshxx 07-07-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepman917 (Post 854358)
Agree - in fact it was the dealer who told me they use regular when I went to get my plates - and - that is what they suggest. Not what I found out to be true - at least not with that fill up...

Yep fill up with a tank of 91+ you should be good. Gas stations around here only do 93+

jeepman917 07-07-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJoshxx (Post 854367)
Yep fill up with a tank of 91+ you should be good. Gas stations around here only do 93+

thanks xjosh

bill_de 07-07-2013 09:27 PM

Trying to figure out how each tank of gas is reacting in a brand new vehicle is an exercise in futility. Maybe after a few thousand miles on the car you can detect something. The difference you realize could be from the gas, could be from the drive train going through various stages of break-in, could be you adjusting your driving to a new vehicle, and a good dose of "It's all in your head".

Use the gas the manual recommends - 89 octane. Now, forget about mileage for awhile and just enjoy your new ride. :)

---

jeepman917 07-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 854393)
Trying to figure out how each tank of gas is reacting in a brand new vehicle is an exercise in futility. Maybe after a few thousand miles on the car you can detect something. The difference you realize could be from the gas, could be from the drive train going through various stages of break-in, could be you adjusting your driving to a new vehicle, and a good dose of "It's all in your head".

Use the gas the manual recommends - 89 octane. Now, forget about mileage for awhile and just enjoy your new ride. :)

---

agree fully! its probably all in my head also! next tank will be 89

Specx 07-08-2013 01:08 PM

So far I only fill up with 89. The dealer put 87 in the tank when I took delivery, but I hardly notice the power difference and what little I felt was probably in my head as suggested.

Keirik 07-08-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 854678)
So far I only fill up with 89. The dealer put 87 in the tank when I took delivery, but I hardly notice the power difference and what little I felt was probably in my head as suggested.

Manual says 89 octane. Anything higher is a waste. Not 87, not 91, not 93, just 89 lol.

lstowell 07-08-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepman917 (Post 854676)
agree fully! its probably all in my head also! next tank will be 89

It could also be related to the local altitude and the gasoline area you drive in.

At higher altitude, 87 is the midgrade [pump method].

If you are around LA, I have no idea what sort of witches brew they put in the gas there, but it drives like [censored], and the premium seems worse than the regular.

Rexlion 03-20-2014 10:14 PM

Reviving this older thread to see if anyone in the last few months has done any experimenting between regular and midgrade in their 5.7 hemi, to see if any differences in mpg or performance can be quantified. Any new data to add?