Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Tow hooks and hitch installed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/tow-hooks-and-hitch-installed-62489.html)

bigpappy33 07-07-2013 08:52 PM

Tow hooks and hitch installed

Installed my black tow hooks and the factory hitch this weekend. Both went smoothly and it was pretty fun/nerve racking cutting up a brand new rear bumper but it came out great.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/ba4aty5e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/9e7ede8u.jpg

Here are a few pics, car is dirty. Big changes are coming in the next 2 weeks as I am tinting the tails, and ditching the chrome on the tail lights and side mirrors to match it to the car. Also am having the factory wheels powder coated black, and throwing in the black honeycomb overland grille. I'll post up again when it's done!

hawada 07-07-2013 09:19 PM

Those are the 2 things I want to do to my black limited ! A couple is questions:

Are you able to get the chrome tow hooks ?
Was it difficult Installing them ?
Did you need a new lower fascia or did the mesh combs pop right out for the tow hooks ?

What tool did you use to Install the hitch ?

Lastly what was your final cost ?

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get I plan on adding the hitch, tow hooks and overland grill.

bill_de 07-07-2013 09:49 PM

Re: Tow hooks and hitch installed

You did a nice job. Good to hear that you found it to be fun. I remember those days. :)

bigpappy33 07-07-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawada (Post 854386)
Those are the 2 things I want to do to my black limited ! A couple is questions:

Are you able to get the chrome tow hooks ?
Was it difficult Installing them ?
Did you need a new lower fascia or did the mesh combs pop right out for the tow hooks ?

What tool did you use to Install the hitch ?

Lastly what was your final cost ?

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get I plan on adding the hitch, tow hooks and overland grill.

The chrome hooks are available, but are ridiculously expensive.
It was pretty straight forward to install, if you change your own oil and can use a wrench you will be fine on the tow hooks. The hitch was a little tougher, just because you had to take off the whole bumper, not just the lower fascia. Make sure you have somewhere to put it and be able to work on it where you wont scratch the paint and will give you a sturdy area to cut. I used a dremel tool and a box cutter to cut out the hole and tabs for the hitch. Other than that all you need are socket wrenches and a torque wrench. The reinstall of the rear bumper needs a plastic rivet gun, but you can find that at harbor freight or any tool place if you don't have one.
I got all my parts from Mopar Jeep Accessories & Parts Store at JustForJeeps.com, you can browse there and find everything you need (specifically here 2011 - 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Carriers and Cargo Hauling Accessories ) The parts from the 20111-13 are the same as we would use. They also have a discount code for jeepgarage members.
I got the hitch cover separately, as well as the connector for the hitch wiring harness (my car was prewired from the factory, just needed the connector) both of these are also available from the same site.

hawada 07-11-2013 07:55 AM

Thanks for the reply/help ! I am ordering the parts this weekend. I saw the chrome tow hooks on Amazon for $350 !! You're right they are way too expensive. I'm going to get the black tow hooks and the hitch kit. When you cut the bumper for the hitch, how did you know where to cut ?

bigpappy33 07-11-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawada (Post 856387)
Thanks for the reply/help ! I am ordering the parts this weekend. I saw the chrome tow hooks on Amazon for $350 !! You're right they are way too expensive. I'm going to get the black tow hooks and the hitch kit. When you cut the bumper for the hitch, how did you know where to cut ?

Yeah they really try to make a buck on the chrome ones. The bumper will have an outline on the inside of where to cut. It's very straight forward with the instructions they give, just keep a steady hand!

hawada 07-12-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpappy33 (Post 856463)

Yeah they really try to make a buck on the chrome ones. The bumper will have an outline on the inside of where to cut. It's very straight forward with the instructions they give, just keep a steady hand!

That's he scared part lol is the steady hand. Does the trim piece they provide have room for error lol?? I've been looking for videos of the install online but there aren't any mopar installs. :/

schandna01 07-12-2013 11:21 PM

Have you guys seen the red tow hooks from the Trailhawk? It's a good bit more expensive compared to the black ones, but it looks really good. I'm trying to decide if its worth it

hawada 07-13-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schandna01 (Post 857526)
Have you guys seen the red tow hooks from the Trailhawk? It's a good bit more expensive compared to the black ones, but it looks really good. I'm trying to decide if its worth it

What color is your Jeep ? I have no red on my car, so it's hard for me to justify it.

bigpappy33 07-13-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawada (Post 857525)
That's he scared part lol is the steady hand. Does the trim piece they provide have room for error lol?? I've been looking for videos of the install online but there aren't any mopar installs. :/

Yea it doesn't have to be pretty. Just stay close to the lines as the trim piece covers over all of the cuts. There is a little write up in the Tech tips section on here if you haven't seen it.

schandna01 07-13-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawada (Post 857649)

What color is your Jeep ? I have no red on my car, so it's hard for me to justify it.

2014 dark grey Laredo. I don't have any red either - I thought about getting red brake calipers to match, but I'm afraid it would look like I'm trying to clone an SRT

Aaron Jors 11-03-2013 10:08 AM

Could you share a little more info on the tow hooks. Did you have to cut the front bumper or are their inserts that just pop out? From your description it sounds like the tow hooks just bolt on?

Where did you buy your tow hooks from...do you happen to have part #'s or links to the black and chrome ones?

Thanks, Aaron