Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (
-   -   Transmission solinoid A malfunction P0750 (

winmag4582001 07-08-2013 05:44 PM

Transmission solinoid A malfunction P0750
This is my first post.....
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland AWD 4.7L automatic

CEL P0750 Shift Solenoid A Malfunction (tranny went into safe mode)

This is my first problem with the vehicle.
Step 1. I'm going to check the connector on the left side of the tranny.

Step 2. If step 1 doesn't solve it I will replace the valve body BUT I'm having one hell of a time finding the part number I need. I think it is a 45 series transmission.

Question; What part number do I need if I end up replacing the valve body? What transmission fluid do you recommend?

**NOTE** It's been years since I've done any auto work but I'm sure this shouldn't be a problem if I have the part numbers.

Thank You!

cnynctry 07-08-2013 06:08 PM

Re: Transmission solinoid A malfunction P0750
While you might get a response in this section your best bet is to post your question in the section for 2004 GCs. This one is for 2011 and newer.
Good luck

winmag4582001 07-08-2013 06:56 PM

Re: Transmission solinoid A malfunction P0750
OK, thanks.... dumb question... which is mine? WK?

Frango100 07-08-2013 07:15 PM

Re: Transmission solinoid A malfunction P0750
Welcome to the garage, and your jeep is a WJ.
Your problem is not the valve body, but a solenoid inside the TRS/solenoid block. Eventually a wiring problem (shaved through and grounded or a cut wire) could give this message as well.
The OEM solenoid block is sold here: I bought mine there and i found the price right. Its indeed a 5-45RFE transmission and it uses ATF +4.
Change also both filters (both internally, one oval inlet filter and the other a round spin-on return filter).
TJXJWJ did a writeup on how to change the transmission fluid. If you want i can give you more directions on how to remove the valve body and solenoid block

winmag4582001 07-09-2013 08:14 AM

Re: Transmission solinoid A malfunction P0750
Thank you!
So I need the solenoid and not the whole body/block? I was looking on ebay and the whole assembley sells for less than $300.
The last trans I worked on was my TH350 back in the early 90's. Reversed the valve body, heavy bands and a stall converter. It was fairly straight forward as I remember.
Would you happen to have the part number for the part I need?
I tried stopping by the parts store, but parts stores have turned into "tune-up" stores and dont seem to sell actual repair parts anymore.

Thanks again for the reply!

Frango100 07-10-2013 01:46 AM

Re: Transmission solinoid A malfunction P0750
The solenoids are not separately available, you need to change the TRS/Solenoid block, which is mounted on top of the valve body.
You can buy the OEM solenoid block at :
The old solenoid block you have most probably has still the black connector, this one is not made anymore. (you probably can find some refurbished ones, but not sure if that is advisable). Nowadays they make a white connector solenoid block, which seems to be of an improved design. I have this one on my jeep now. You will only need a new TRS selector plate as well, which is sold at the same site. When i remember well i also paid around USD 300 for the complete block and plate. They also sell both filters.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community