Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Am I being too picky? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/am-i-being-too-picky-62537.html)

Dark_Shadow_GC 07-08-2013 09:20 PM

Am I being too picky?

I am taking my 2014 Overland to the dealer next week to have some things looked at that I've noticed don't seem right. I have them written down and will hand them the paper. Below is the list of things I want to be taken a look at. Am I being way too picky or the things I want fixed are things you would expect to come right in a $50k truck?

1. Tailgate lift handle not flush (Star Case Number: S1323000043)
2. Drivers side black plastic strip on the roof that runs along the top of the truck to the outside of the roof rails is not flush and coming off near the spoiler. Look at other side for comparison.
3. Windshield plastic that covers hood hinges on corners not sealed against the body of the fender and coming off and is unglued. See any other GC on the lot and compare to mine to see how it's supposed to be.
4. Wood trim panel where the push to start button is located is not flush on the steering wheel side. If you see the wood trim on the other side of the steering wheel, it is flush and no gap exists.
5. Center console golden trim on the passenger side right above aux/USB/sd card cubby is not flush, you can see the cables that run behind the center console. You can notice this by looking at the center console from the passenger side. In addition to that, the door that hides the aux/USB/ as card seems to be misaligned. There is kind of a bump if you slide your finger from where the door and the trim piece above it meet.
6. Lift gate misaligned. Seems to be pushed towards the passenger side as the gap is a lot smaller than the drivers side.

bill_de 07-08-2013 09:45 PM

Re: Am I being too picky?

You are not being too picky if these things bother you. But, if it something you noticed just because you are looking for things that are not perfect, I find it is often best to ignore those things.

As for the tailgate, it was discovered way back when, that it is often the bumper cover that is out of alignment, not the tailgate. Eiter way, that should be fixed.

---

AJB-830 07-08-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 854933)
You are not being too picky if these things bother you. But, if it something you noticed just because you are looking for things that are not perfect, I find it is often best to ignore those things.

As for the tailgate, it was discovered way back when, that it is often the bumper cover that is out of alignment, not the tailgate. Eiter way, that should be fixed.

---

I am keeping a list of some of the defects forum users have noted. That way when my Overland arrives, I will have some idea what to look for. Ordered it 6/5 and it's been stuck in D1 since 6/14. No estimated delivery date either. Dealer says I should see it about the 4th week in July. Not in a big rush though as I have a perfectly fine 2011 Limited to drive. Al

mceb 07-09-2013 05:31 AM

In some ways yes you are being a bit too picky looking at all the trim alignments. I too have a bit of that tailgate issue, personally I never even would have never seen or thought it about until the tread popped up here lol. The person who reported that issue had it worse than mine but guess my point is that would have not been picked up if I didn't know to look for it. I'm sure I have a few more alignment issues but personally I'd rather just enjoy the ride and not examine stuff in too much detail.

It's all personal so your experience is different so by all means take it in if the stuff bothers you. Stuff has a way of playing on your mind once you've seen it lol.

jeepgrady 07-09-2013 06:31 AM

You're not being too picky, however, you have to realize that at times when they attempt to fix something, they have a knack for making things worse. While I'm not condoning that, it's something you must be aware of.

Pharmaboy 07-09-2013 06:41 AM

If you are asking, you already know the answer.

;)

bill_de 07-09-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJB-830 (Post 854938)
I am keeping a list of some of the defects forum users have noted. That way when my Overland arrives, I will have some idea what to look for. Ordered it 6/5 and it's been stuck in D1 since 6/14. No estimated delivery date either. Dealer says I should see it about the 4th week in July. Not in a big rush though as I have a perfectly fine 2011 Limited to drive. Al

Why go looking for trouble that you wouldn't notice on you own? By the time you get everything perfect it will be time to trade it in. In the meantime you'll spend hours concerning yourself with things that you would have passed unnoticed to the next owner.

Better to just enjoy your Jeep and life in general. ;) IMHO of course.

Jeep_addicted 07-09-2013 07:47 AM

If you are pretty handy you can address some of that yourself.

If it is the bumper cover that is misaligned you can get someone to hold the bumper cover while you untightend adjust the T30 Torx bolts.

The Dash trim you can probably handle yourself.

The liftgate handle and the cowl trim I would let the dealer handle.

Most of the instructions on how the disassemble a 2011-2013 should steer you in the right direction for disassembling your 2014

AJB-830 07-09-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 855076)
Why go looking for trouble that you wouldn't notice on you own? By the time you get everything perfect it will be time to trade it in. In the meantime you'll spend hours concerning yourself with things that you would have passed unnoticed to the next owner.

Better to just enjoy your Jeep and life in general. ;) IMHO of course.

Bill, You are probably right. But I usually like to take my new Jeep for a 15-20 mile ride before I turn my trade-in back to the dealer. That way they can fix anything obivious before I sign the papers. Hopefully the 14 will be as good as my 11 as I didn't have to take it back for anything. Al

Gearhead 07-09-2013 01:09 PM

In a word, yes.

Andoskyy 07-09-2013 02:26 PM

With every problem, these Jeeps get more and more expensive....

This is BS from a $40k vehicle!
I expect more from a $43k truck!
$47k and all these problems!
I expect more from a $50k vehicle!
All these problems on a $55k truck!
A tire fell off my $75,000 Overland!!! :D

FD12ME 07-09-2013 03:17 PM

I wouldn't say you are being too picky. When Jeep ventures into the 50k sticker price mark, they venture into the premium price category...with that price tag they need to make sure everything is perfect.