Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Front parking sensor- Can it be added to a non Summit model? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/front-parking-sensor-can-it-be-added-to-a-non-summit-model-62541.html)

JWS360 07-08-2013 10:18 PM

Front parking sensor- Can it be added to a non Summit model?

Forgive me if I missed this, but it appears that only the Summit model has front parking sensors. The Overland has rear only.

This seems totally illogical. Is anyone aware of a way to add front sensors to the Overland? My spouse is parking challenged in both forward and rear directions!

Ordinarily I'd just get a Summit, but we don't care for the poop brown and black interiors in the Summit and want the skid plate package, which is inexplicably not available in the Summit!

GCOverland 07-08-2013 10:25 PM

Re: Front parking sensor- Can it be added to a non Summit model?

While I can't answer the question in regards to the parking sensors, I'm quite sure that the skid plates can be added to the Summit as dealer accessory.

JWS360 07-08-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCOverland (Post 854955)
While I can't answer the question in regards to the parking sensors, I'm quite sure that the skid plates can be added to the Summit as dealer accessory.

Hmm....interesting and thanks.

I'll have to look into the cost. Adding them to an Overland is something like $250. I wonder what they'd cost individually? However, the Summit only comes w/ 20" wheels.

I wonder if the 20s handle more or less well? I recall reading in one of the car mags that for most cars anything above 18" tends to result in poorer handling. Whether this applies to a Jeep I am not 100% sure.

Either way, thanks for taking the time.

Jim_in_PA 07-09-2013 02:41 PM

The lack of skid plates (and tow hooks) on the Summit is intentional...it's not being marketed as an off-road vehicle; rather, it's positioned as a luxury SUV trim level. The 20s handle beautifully, IMHO. But I'm 99.99% highway driving.

If you plan on needing the off-road stuff from the factory and prefer 18s, then the Overland is likely a better choice for you. And you have two other interior options that way. But you do give up some other 'bells and whistles' that are only available on the Summit...

Jeep_addicted 07-09-2013 02:52 PM

It is not impossible to add sensors.

The components are different.

The parking module need to be changed to the proper one.
The sensors have to be added and you would need all the harnesses to make it all work.

Keirik 07-09-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 855268)
The lack of skid plates (and tow hooks) on the Summit is intentional...it's not being marketed as an off-road vehicle; rather, it's positioned as a luxury SUV trim level. The 20s handle beautifully, IMHO. But I'm 99.99% highway driving.

If you plan on needing the off-road stuff from the factory and prefer 18s, then the Overland is likely a better choice for you. And you have two other interior options that way. But you do give up some other 'bells and whistles' that are only available on the Summit...

I agree with you in theory but every Jeep commercial so far has shown a Summit going offroad on the beach, rivers, hills, etc

JWS360 07-09-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 855277)
It is not impossible to add sensors.

The components are different.

The parking module need to be changed to the proper one.
The sensors have to be added and you would need all the harnesses to make it all work.

Wow, that sounds complicated, even assuming additional harnesses would have a place to plug in and the existing bumper could accommodate the sensors. I wonder if additional programing would be needed. Can't believe they don't put front sensors on an Overland. Seems cheap and/or stupid. At least allow for an add on cost option!

ChrisOC 07-09-2013 10:45 PM

Maybe get the Miss's a Smart car. :)

Joking aside, people have gotten a lockpick device and have added a frontal camera to their rides. Not sure if it works with 14s but just throwing that out there.

JWS360 07-10-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOC (Post 855595)
Maybe get the Miss's a Smart car. :)

Joking aside, people have gotten a lockpick device and have added a frontal camera to their rides. Not sure if it works with 14s but just throwing that out there.

I've heard of the Lockpicks. Not sure of reliability, though. I recall reading VERY mixed reviews on the device and company itself in the past, but can't speak to recent status. In fact, we had one on a Lexus several years ago. They were generally "OK', but the company was difficult to deal with. I am curious to see if they've gotten better/worse.

Willx 07-10-2013 08:29 AM

JWS360,

I like poop brown ;)

JWS360 07-10-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 855769)
JWS360,

I like poop brown ;)

LOL! My wife sat in one & said "Looks like I'm sitting in a turd". I personally tend to prefer more lighter, yet earth toned interiors. I can appreciate the purple/brown combo, for example, but in someone else's car.

What I don't get is why Jeep doesn't even OFFER a lighter interior in the Summit. Many, like me, dislike the alternative, a black interiors. A good friend was set to buy some Ford vehicle in its highest trim line (Titanium?) and walked when he saw that only black was available. I wonder why the supposedly higher trim levels tend to have the fewest choices. Seems backwards to me.

Jim_in_PA 07-10-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keirik (Post 855332)
I agree with you in theory but every Jeep commercial so far has shown a Summit going offroad on the beach, rivers, hills, etc

There is off-road and there is "off road". What they show in the commercials is pretty mild stuff that far less capable vehicles could handle. The good news is that a MY14 Summit 'can' be equipped with skid plates, tow hooks and alternate wheel/tire combinations if one wants or needs them. Aside from the necessary facia modification to allow installation of the tow hooks, it's just "money"... :)