Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   2014 Overland Speakers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/2014-overland-speakers-62546.html)

mkmydnr 07-09-2013 01:23 AM

2014 Overland Speakers

So in my many hours of research I seem to have come up with a lot of conflicting information. I understand the 2013 model had a 9 speaker Alpine system which many people werent happy with. Some sources seem to suggest that these speakers have been maintained with only the Summit getting Harmon Kardon speakers (19 of them) while others are claiming that the Overland also get HK speakers just 9 of them.

Can anyone tell me what speakers are in the 2014 Overland and what they are like if they have heard them first hand.

JonBed 07-09-2013 12:13 PM

Re: 2014 Overland Speakers

OK I'll bite! Overall rating is Good (7 out of 10) in my opinion, details are below.

The system is fundamentally the same speaker set up as before - the 9 speaker "Alpine" system + subwoofer.

This is the standard system in the Limited and Overland 2014. The headunit (uconnect) is new, and has different digital processing (new surround mode, etc.). They have not labeled this one "Alpine" in the marketing materials but it looks the same and sounds very similar having test driven the 2013.

I am a bit of a value oriented audiophile and have pretty high quality stuff at home (Marantz, KEF, Audioengine), driven a multitude of cars at various price points with lots of different systems (volvo, audi, lexus, ford, etc.), and had interesting audio systems in my childhood home like B&W, NAD, Klipsch, B&O, etc. So, long story short, I can tell the difference in sound quality between bad, good, and excellent stereos....

The 9 speaker +sub system in the 2014 is Good. It lacks the really crisp and pristine highs you might find in a HK Logic 7 system, but has pretty solid bass. It will get loud with out audibly distorting (I've had it cranked up about 80-90% of the way) listening to classic rock and top 40.

If I were going to put a brand name on it like Jeep did in prior iterations ("Alpine"), it sounds like any fairly good and generic optional system in a mainstream vehicle like a "Sony" (Ford), "Fender" (VW), "JBL" (toyota), etc., and generally as good as the base-level stereos in Audi, VW Toureg, Mercedes, Volvo, etc.

That said, it is not a Mark Levinson (Lexus), HK Logic 7 (BMW, LR, Mercedes), or Bang and Olufsen (Audi) - those are all paid upgrades however that cost $750 to $3k more as an option.

The biggest gripe I have is how BAD the Sirius XM sounds in comparison to FM HD radio. This is an example of how source material alone causes what some people have called "muddy" sound. Comparing FM 100.3 on Sirius and via over the air FM HD radio in NYC - I can tell you that XM is pretty bad source material. I prefer to use the iPod or HD sources when when listening semi-critically as it sounds much better. While I haven't tried yet, I'm willing to bet that high quality MP3 (or other) files on USB/SD cards would sound pretty close to an "Excellent" system.

I do believe that the Uconnect system is partially at fault for the varying levels of sound quality across sources as the levels are not balanced between different sources - ipod is way louder and bass heavy, XM lacks treble and bass, FM seems pretty good. I am willing to bet that the 8.4A/AN stereo performance could be improved via software updates (i'm running 15.4, and will upgrade soon to 19.0)

In closing:

there will always be better systems, just know that this is a ~40-50k car and not a 100k high luxury vehicle and you won't be disappointed. If you need that next level, I bet that Summit trim may provide a better experience with its more advanced system.

sswails 07-09-2013 12:26 PM

Don't forget the Dynaudio in the VW Touareg.....we love ours.

bill_de 07-09-2013 12:27 PM

I am not an audiophile. I can tell the difference between a decent system and one with torn speaker cones. Yup, I really can. :thumbsup:

I think this is the same radio/speaker combination I had in my MDX tech. I liked it in the Acura. I like it even better in the Jeep because it is not competing with a lot of cabin noise. I listen mostly to FM (HD), then cd's ripped to an SD card, then SiriousXM. I have no complaints with any of them, but I guess I must find the SiriosXM the least desirable since it is always my third choice.

---

JonBed 07-09-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswails (Post 855198)
Don't forget the Dynaudio in the VW Touareg.....we love ours.

Fair addition, but that is only on the top level "Executive" trim - much like the Summit with the HK system. So it is an option effectively.

mkmydnr 07-09-2013 05:04 PM

I am in Australia so we dont get offered the Summit so I will have to make do with the current system or upgrade it myself. Having previously ordered a 2013 (which was cancelled due to the release of the 2014) I had planned to upgrade but if the 2014 is noticibly better I will just wait and see how it sounds.

CHALLENGERBIZJET 07-09-2013 08:06 PM

What I do notice in my 2014 overland is when listening to music on the sd card or any other types you do have to increase the sound quite a bit to get a high level of response as far as highs or mids become the volume is very flat initially until you turn anything up.

not_too_shabby 07-10-2013 10:05 AM

I have given up on Sirius. My wife has it in her Mercedes w/ a harmon kardon system and it sounds equally horrible. Sirius used to advertise CD quality sound when it first started, but now they don't. It's clear that the music is heavily compressed to add all the additiona stations and sounds like garbage compared to even standard FM. HD FM doesn't even compare and I find myself using either HD FM or my iPod. Sirius will not be renewed when the time comes.

bigpappy33 07-12-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 855829)
I have given up on Sirius. My wife has it in her Mercedes w/ a harmon kardon system and it sounds equally horrible. Sirius used to advertise CD quality sound when it first started, but now they don't. It's clear that the music is heavily compressed to add all the additiona stations and sounds like garbage compared to even standard FM. HD FM doesn't even compare and I find myself using either HD FM or my iPod. Sirius will not be renewed when the time comes.

Agreed x1000

hemi15 07-15-2013 06:52 PM

I have HK logic 7 in my other car,Bmw. I paid $800 for it and I don`t see that much of difference between those. Actually GC has a better bass IMO but the HK can go higher volumes without any distortion.

Sirius is not good in both systems.

Radknight 08-04-2013 10:52 PM

Crazy thing is that in Australia we are paying ~AUD$76,000 (USD$67,000) for an Overland. Do you think the audio system is worthy of any vehicle in that price range, with no upgrade available unless you go SRT or do it yourself?

This, and the light frost beige carpet, are the only foreseeable negs to an otherwise awesome 4x4.

only1tobin 08-08-2013 04:35 PM

I've been pretty underwhelmed by the sound system in my '14 Limited. One of my biggest gripes is the level difference between different sources of audio. My FM is one level and mp3's from my SD card are load and bass HEAVY. Does anyone know if Uconnect is able to save equalizer settings by source? My other car does this and is pretty old (2004), so I would assume the '14's had this ability? Am I wrong???