Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2011 GC Overland v6 2wd - A/C Fan Continues to blow - but not through vents... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2011-gc-overland-v6-2wd-a-c-fan-continues-to-blow-but-not-through-vents-62550.html)

morty346 07-09-2013 08:36 AM

2011 GC Overland v6 2wd - A/C Fan Continues to blow - but not through vents...

Driving quite a bit lately in the hot FL weather - requring heavy use of A/C. This has happened 3 times now:

After about an hour of driving with AC set to Auto 71 degrees (about 95 outside) I slowly notice a almost hissing noise... as if the air is being pushed through an aerosol can. -

I then notice that the air is only slightly coming out of the vents - the vehicle starts to warm up inside so I turn the knob to manually turn the fan all the way up - I can hear the fan get loud so I know the fan is working but the amount of air coming out of the vent is still barely any - I change it to floor, vent, defrost, turn heat on - change from outside air to inside air - nothing seems to fix it once it gets into this mode. Thought perhaps it was a software thing so turned off then turned back on car - didn't help.

Only thing that seemed to help was to turn the car off for about 10 minutes - then it kicked back in and worked the rest of the trip.

I checked fuses - and temperatures from computer and everything looks fine

Vehicle is going to dealer this week for scheduled maintenance - what can I bring to light to help me explain this better to them, or has anyone heard of this happening that could help me out?

Thanks!

Greg

padgett 07-09-2013 09:44 AM

Re: 2011 GC Overland v6 2wd - A/C Fan Continues to blow - but not through vents...

That sounds like the evaporator is icing up and blocking flow. Turning on max heat for a few minuites may help.

Since a non-smoker I use the recirc almost constantly and have not had it happen including up and back from NC.

There are two usual causes of icing up:
1) low refrigerant
2) blocked flow (if a 2011 have you changed the cabin air filter behind the glovebox ?)

ps hissing is probably just before the evaporator blocks completely. Is the little flow you feel ice cold ?

pps have seen mention that recirc causes icing. I do not believe that is true, at least not in a high humidity area.

Mark090852 07-09-2013 08:03 PM

Re: 2011 GC Overland v6 2wd - A/C Fan Continues to blow - but not through vents...

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 855127)
That sounds like the evaporator is icing up and blocking flow. Turning on max heat for a few minuites may help.

Since a non-smoker I use the recirc almost constantly and have not had it happen including up and back from NC.

There are two usual causes of icing up:
1) low refrigerant
2) blocked flow (if a 2011 have you changed the cabin air filter behind the glovebox ?)

ps hissing is probably just before the evaporator blocks completely. Is the little flow you feel ice cold ?

pps have seen mention that recirc causes icing. I do not believe that is true, at least not in a high humidity area.

I agree. It sounds like the evaporator ices up and totally blocks the flow. I had a BMW that used to do that during high usage with high humidity. The best fix for us was to turn off the AC and just run the fan for a few minutes. The ice would melt and flow would return to normal. Eventually there was a fix from the dealer. I think the fix just automatically shut down the AC for a few seconds on a regular basis, to prevent the ice from building up.

morty346 07-19-2013 10:11 AM

Update to the issue:

was the sensor inside the AC unit - apparently goes bad after about an hour of driving so they replaced it - will see if it happens again

apparently an unusual sensor to go bad so they had to order it -