Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/jeep-feels-like-it-is-struggling-around-1-2k-rpms-62565.html)

adamchrtrnd 07-09-2013 01:54 PM

Hello everyone,

I'll do my best to explain the situation but I'll be honest I am not the greatest with automotive verbiage.

While it doesn't happen every time, I have experienced what seems like my WK2 struggling around the 1k RPM mark when I am going up a "hill". It feels like the Jeep is "rocking", kind of like what you would feel if you were in a rocking chair but constantly moving forward. I hope this makes sense.

When I brought the Jeep in for an oil change the technician mentioned it could just be the torque converter kicking in. To me it just doesn't feel normal and was wondering if anyone had experienced this as well.

ChrisOC 07-09-2013 02:25 PM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
I haven't notice the rocking feeling but when I was in mammoth this past weekend I noticed the jeep struggling once as well. I was making a right turn from a dead stop going up a hill. It was as if the jeep went to third gear way tooooo fast for the hill so I just put shifter into 1st or 2nd and that solved the problem. While I love this car and the gas savings when I'm under 2500 rpms, I am not a fan of the acceleration up to 2500-3000 rpms. Once past those rpms I can really feel the power of the penstar. I'm not a gear head so I don't know exactly the problem but it seems like with 1st and 2nd gear jeep went with fuel saving gears instead of acceleration gearing.

Btw, I don't want to give off the impression that I am complaining, I love this car and have just adapted to how it gets going. Adam, I hope nothing is wrong with your jeep. Oh and lastly, a long long time ago, I almost ran out of gas in my ford ranger and the last few minutes before I got to the gas station the truck kind of lurched around. I just remembered that, otherwise I would have written that at the start. So maybe you were low on fuel for the rocking effect?

adamchrtrnd 07-09-2013 02:35 PM

I'm glad you like your jeep! I have the V8 so I don't have as many reservations about the acceleration from a stop. However, it is a very heavy truck so I would imagine with the V6 it would be frustrating, at least for me.

I wasn't low on gas so I don't think that was the problem. I am starting to think that maybe it was the torque converter kicking in. Who knows.

Willx 07-09-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamchrtrnd (Post 855261)
I'm glad you like your jeep! I have the V8 so I don't have as many reservations about the acceleration from a stop. However, it is a very heavy truck so I would imagine with the V6 it would be frustrating, at least for me.

I wasn't low on gas so I don't think that was the problem. I am starting to think that maybe it was the torque converter kicking in. Who knows.

I think you are referring to the "fish bite" feeling... like something is tugging under slight throttle pressure but without downshift. What year is your truck?

adamchrtrnd 07-09-2013 02:51 PM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 855265)
I think you are referring to the "fish bite" feeling... like something is tugging under slight throttle pressure but without downshift. What year is your truck?

YES! That is exactly it. It is a 2013 Altitude V8.

Willx 07-09-2013 03:27 PM

This is a known issue I can send you the star case later on tonight. I believe it is a programming fix and it was originally slated for August but it looks like it was pushed back to September. The Durango I am driving does the exact same thing so I'm very aware of the problem.

adamchrtrnd 07-09-2013 03:35 PM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 855302)
This is a known issue I can send you the star case later on tonight. I believe it is a programming fix and it was originally slated for August but it looks like it was pushed back to September. The Durango I am driving does the exact same thing so I'm very aware of the problem.

I am glad I decided to post this to the forum. I figured it was a Jeep thing. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know!

Willx 07-10-2013 05:30 AM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attached copy of STAR Case.

adamchrtrnd 07-10-2013 05:59 PM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
Thank you for the information! Much appreciated!

rjrobinson3 07-11-2013 03:00 AM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
I have the same issue (along with a bunch of other issues) with my 13 Laredo X. This has been a known issue for more than two years. They either don't know what's causing it, or don't know how to fix it. Two years is a really long time for a software update, and they keep pushing back the release date. Who knows how much time they are investing in trying to solve the problem? Chrysler has been no help at all. They'll just tell you it's normal operation, when obviously, they know it isn't. No vehicle should do this.

Willx 07-11-2013 05:54 AM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjrobinson3 (Post 856318)
I have the same issue (along with a bunch of other issues) with my 13 Laredo X. This has been a known issue for more than two years. They either don't know what's causing it, or don't know how to fix it. Two years is a really long time for a software update, and they keep pushing back the release date. Who knows how much time they are investing in trying to solve the problem? Chrysler has been no help at all. They'll just tell you it's normal operation, when obviously, they know it isn't. No vehicle should do this.

Honestly it is a bit bigger problem than that. I did some testing on the problem and it does not affect anything other than the feel. If you run 89 Octane or better it basically goes away and as that is the fuel they recommend for the Hemi technically they don't need to do anything because if you run the recommended fuel it works fine. I have had the problem get better simply by using different brand fuels as well so it is obviously fuel quality related.

The fact is that any adjustments that they make on the system to fix this will affect Fuel Economy and this particular fix affects a huge range of vehicles and transmission combinations. It is actually being worked on so we will see what happens in September.

padgett 07-11-2013 08:06 AM

Re: Jeep feels like it is struggling around 1-2k RPMs
 
Moderate load/low rpm is where the secondary ignition (coils, plug wires, plugs) is stressed the highest. After it happens have you checked for any misfires in history ?

Having a '12 V6 I check for misfires monthly.

Will admit to being somewhat fanatical about troubleshooting and knowing exactly what my engine is doing. If you are not comfortable with that, when was the last time you threw a set of plugs at it ? I understand the hemi has an appetite for them.

An old Jag trick was to gap the plugs about 20% narrower than stock to help a weak ignition (Lucas). If that cures the problem then you know where it lies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community