Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   2004 rim size confirmation please ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/2004-rim-size-confirmation-please-62623.html)

GCUK 07-10-2013 10:51 AM

2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
Hi Guys,
My 2004 Overland has factory 17 inch wheels. According to what Im reading on the WJJeeps.com, those wheels have a 7.5 rim width.
Can anyone confirm Ive read that correctly ?

Reason being I have stock size (and worn out) 235/65 17 tyres and Id like to fit something bigger without a lift if possible. The stock combo just seems abit small for the wheel arch size. According to General tyres info I can get the new Grabber AT in 245/70 17's (just one size bigger) and they are suitable for rims 6.5 to 8.0 width.
I had a good look around the wheels/arches, and even at full lock there seemed plenty of clearance room, unless Im wrong ?

Extreme 4x4 Ltd GENERAL TIRE'S NEW GRABBER AT TYRES

Thanks

Frango100 07-10-2013 11:31 AM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
Yes, the standard jeep rims are 17x7.5
Your speedometer will be around 5% off with the new tire size. Have a look at this tire size calculator: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

cheapjeep 07-10-2013 11:44 AM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
Those are too big without a lift. I run that size now and at 2.5" of lift they rubbed the fender liners at full lock. This size is over 1.5" bigger in diameter than the stock size. Also on a side note this is the absolute biggest size that will fit in the WJ spare tire well. The sad part is I don't think you can get the Grabber AT in a smaller 17" size.

GCUK 07-10-2013 01:36 PM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 855888)
Those are too big without a lift. I run that size now and at 2.5" of lift they rubbed the fender liners at full lock. This size is over 1.5" bigger in diameter than the stock size. Also on a side note this is the absolute biggest size that will fit in the WJ spare tire well. The sad part is I don't think you can get the Grabber AT in a smaller 17" size.

Thanks for this information, I've been wanting to find someone who's running this size. You recommend staying stock size then ? I guess my tires are so worn that a new set of AT's at full tread depth will instantly look bigger !!!

01grand 07-10-2013 02:33 PM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
I used to run 245/70R17 Bridgestone duelers with my 2001 with factory up country suspension, there was just barely no rub at full lock, however YMMV. I am currently running 245/65R17's, they look good on the WJ being just a hair wider than stock, only about 1% off on the speedometer, and no rub at all. If you want to find tires that may not be offered in the exact stock size, 245/65R17 is where to go.

cheapjeep 07-10-2013 09:06 PM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCUK (Post 855958)
Thanks for this information, I've been wanting to find someone who's running this size. You recommend staying stock size then ? I guess my tires are so worn that a new set of AT's at full tread depth will instantly look bigger !!!

Like Aaron said above 245/65/17 is a good compromise but I don't think General lists a Grabber AT in that size . You may have to change brands.

Baalic 09-01-2013 01:37 AM

i had 255/60/17's on mine and at full lock and full articulation, i wasn't rubbing... "thinks that was the size". mine was an 01 though

duggy2145 09-01-2013 04:51 AM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
Hey guys ,I was running 255/65 r17 Conti LX's prior to the current set and no problems on a 2002 Overland at all. Currently running 265/65 r18 Cooper AT3's on 18x8 AEZ forged wheels and it has the slightest rub at full lock on one inner fender so slight I didnt notice it till I ad it up on my hoist and a mate pointed it out.
Cheers Doug

Trav1s 09-01-2013 06:33 AM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
I am running 255/65-17 tires on my 2004 with 10mm spacers on the front springs. Everything about my suspension is stock. I have a slight rub at full lock but nothing to worry about. The tires are cooper Discoverer AT3 and I am happy with them. Eventually th WJ will get a set of UC springs to replace the saggy original springs.

VistaCruiser 09-05-2013 05:54 PM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
I just ordered the Cooper AT3's in the 235 70R17 (30"x9.5). Just an inch taller, I'll report back once I get them on & do some real world testing. Cooper definetly has the most selection on tire sizes & load range in the AT3 with 17" rims compared to other companies. 16" rims have a TON of selection.

Sam

Trav1s 09-05-2013 09:37 PM

Re: 2004 rim size confirmation please ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VistaCruiser (Post 888349)
I just ordered the Cooper AT3's in the 235 70R17 (30"x9.5). Just an inch taller, I'll report back once I get them on & do some real world testing. Cooper definetly has the most selection on tire sizes & load range in the AT3 with 17" rims compared to other companies. 16" rims have a TON of selection.

Sam

You should be fine. That size has a slightly shorter height and the tread is .5" narrower than than the 255/65-17 I am running.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community