Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Locking doors with key fob in car (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/locking-doors-with-key-fob-in-car-62787.html)

Chunderboy 07-13-2013 10:12 AM

Locking doors with key fob in car

So yea, you can do that. I would think that with the engine off and key fob in the car you can you would be prevented from being able to lock the doors with it inside. But then again you can push the button on the handle on the outside to lock it.

I don't know, I just thought there would be some sort of preventive measure to ensure the doors can't be locked with fob in the car.

Yup, useless gripe.

bill_de 07-13-2013 10:22 AM

Re: Locking doors with key fob in car

You should not be able to lock the fob in by accident. Even using the lock button on the door it should take four tries. If you accidentally hit the button four times ... well, that's on you. :)

---

Chunderboy 07-13-2013 10:29 AM

Nope. As a test, the door was open and I pushed the lock button on the inside of the door and it locked.

bill_de 07-13-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 857684)
Nope. As a test, the door was open and I pushed the lock button on the inside of the door and it locked.

What happened when you closed the door? The driver's door should have unlocked.

---

Chunderboy 07-13-2013 10:34 AM

Didn't check that part. I put the fob on the passenger seat and hit the lock button and engaged the locks. I will check that now and report back.

Chunderboy 07-14-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 857686)
What happened when you closed the door? The driver's door should have unlocked.

---

You sir are 100% right. Three horn honks and the driver door unlocks. Thanks again!

jacko15 07-14-2013 12:47 PM

Like I've mentioned before, the JGC is NOT completely idiot proof, but pretty close. If it were COMPLETELY idiot proof most normal people would be driven up the wall with redundant idiot proofing!

hemi15 07-15-2013 06:17 AM

Yesterday I forgot the keys in the cup holder, click the button on the handle and it didn`t lock. First I thought I forgot the keys at home:)

1973Commando 04-27-2014 11:05 AM

Two ways to lock your keys in your car by accident or on purpose.
1. May only pertain to MY 2014 and must have autostart; with the driver door open(or driver door plus other doors open) press autostart button twice then put keys on the front seat and close all doors, DONE! Keys now locked in the car
2. Pertains to all vehicles, I think, with key fob or remote. With only the hatchback open press lock button on the key fob / remote leave keys inside (where your groceries just were) and close the hatchback. Done! Keys inside all doors locked.

Both of these, I believe, can be done with the engine on or off. Certainly the first can.

Also version 14.05.03 of Uconnect has been installed; (latest as of 4/27/2014)

Copefree 04-27-2014 11:31 AM

This *can* be done as I literally learned this on Friday. I had my fob and my wife had the other fob in her purse.

I left my fob *in* the Jeep and my wife was able to lock the doors with her fob. I was a little shocked by this but somehow the Jeep knew it was okay.

Not sure if this was already known by all, but it was new to me.

1973Commando 04-27-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copefree (Post 1013011)
This *can* be done as I literally learned this on Friday. I had my fob and my wife had the other fob in her purse.

I left my fob *in* the Jeep and my wife was able to lock the doors with her fob. I was a little shocked by this but somehow the Jeep knew it was okay.

Not sure if this was already known by all, but it was new to me.

All the instances I talked about locking keys inside, do not involve the second key fob.

BTW, Both my ways you can also lock both key fobs inside.

FYI: When traveling far from home for 2 weeks or more I bring both key fobs. Once I arrive at a destination I always leave one Fob outside the vehicle, in my hotel room.

chucksc 04-27-2014 01:12 PM

You guys do know you can unlock your vehicles with the key inside from the owner's dashboard on the Jeep site? All you need is access to a computer, iphone or ipad. :thumbsup: