Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Most Common 2014 Grand Cherokee Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/most-common-2014-grand-cherokee-issues-62816.html)

GCLimited 07-14-2013 08:30 AM

Most Common 2014 Grand Cherokee Issues

I didn't see one specific thread identifying the most common issues people are having with their 2014 Grand Cherokee, so I thought I'd start this thread for the current owners to help categorize them all. Please give a short description of the issues/complaints you are having with YOUR 2014 Grand Cherokee...not what you've read on the internet...and if the issue has been corrected or not. Here are mine:

1) Defective Airbag Sensor - The warning light lit up when I first took delivery on my new Grand Cherokee...sensor was replaced under warranty and all has been fine since.

2) Rough Shifting Transmission - Much better after a battery reset, but every now and then in bumper to bumper traffic I'll get a hard shift going into one of the lower gears. Since it varies depending on what mode you're in, I believe this to be a software issue.

3) Thumping in Back Going over Bumps (trailer pkg.) - I've read that it may be the self-leveling shocks...but I've looked under the rear of the vehicle to see if anything is loose, tried tightening down spare tire and better securing the Styrofoam jack/tire iron setup...along with putting weight on the rear cover itself hoping it would quite things down...no luck so far.

4) Outside Temperature Display Incorrect - I've heard there's a fix coming, but as it stands now, I don't even bother looking at it.

5) Vibration at Highway Speeds (20" Wheels) - Between 60 and 70 mph I get a slight vibration in the seat and steering wheel...in my opinion it's the tires. I've made an appointment at the dealership to address this.

6) 8.4A Issues - From day one I've had assorted issues with my 8.4A like settings not being saved, and static pops when listening to FM, but I have to say that over time things have improved...possibly from UConnect updates since I've not brought my Jeep back to the dealership yet. NAV could be improved upon as well (maybe just an update is needed), there's been a couple of instances where it tells you to exit at turnoffs that don't exist, tells you to turn off the main road...just to put you back on it later, and to this day it still lists my house on the wrong side of the street.

7) Drivers Exterior Mirror Keeps Losing Original Setting - I've had to turn off the option of having the exterior mirrors tilt down (to see the curbs) when selecting reverse gear because the drivers mirror does not go back fully to the original adjusted position.

mceb 07-14-2013 08:36 AM

1100 miles and only issue I have is a pretty loud creak / squeak that is most likely pano roof related. Hearing it from passenger side back seat up near roof. Read that there are adjustments that can be made to pano roof so need to schedule a service visit unless there is anything I can DIY?

My trans is smooth as glass.

Overland late May build date.

kjf18 07-14-2013 11:07 AM

3,500 miles. Love the vehicle. A few issues:

1. Exhaust blows a lot of blue smoke on startup. Dealer replaced PCV valve at Chrysler's direction, which had no effect. Dealer is now replacing the head.

2. Ceiling grab handle over second row on passenger side is not anchored. A passenger nearly pulled down the entire headliner. Dealer to fix this week.

3. Usual Uconnect flakiness - nothing too serious. Can't get VR to work very well for navigation. Hoping for future upgrades.

4. Usual HVAC issue on remote startup - HVAC shuts off when driver's door is opened.

KJF

blkvette94 07-14-2013 11:21 AM

Re: Most Common 2014 Grand Cherokee Issues

Issues to date will occur with both FOBs:
--Nav/radio randomly reboots (both while driving and while parked) very distracting and a safety issue to have your car “control–alt-delete” while driving along at 70 in traffic
--Nav has completely lost me and put me in the middle of the harbor (have pic). NO this wasn’t as if I was driving on a shoreline road. The pic shows me in the middle of the bay.
--Randomly the check marks disappear. Randomly they reappear. You can watch this happen.
--AC doesn't come on when vehicle is remotely started.
I can confirm that in 93 degree temps my ac didn't cool my car in remote start with it set in auto. Whether it is on in low I can't confirm. I can confirm when shut off vehicle it is in auto at 74, I start in remote after an hour or so, enter car through the driver’s door and it doesn’t feel like it is attempting to cool after about 5 minutes, the seats seem to be blowing on low but I don't feel like the main ac was on (compared to my other vehicle with this feature). I can also confirm that after starting the vehicle the AC controls (and light) are still off. I must push the auto button to get it to turn back on, then it works as one would think it should in auto.

--Radio settings don't change for occupant one or two-- then again sometimes it changes just cause!
--Xm service sometimes takes 30 seconds or more to load.. Even when sitting in a walmart parking lot. Whiles it's loading the reverse camera doesn't activate.
--The collision warning and adaptive cruise randomly say they are active or inactive.. Sometimes they don't do anything.
-- Gotten two vehicle needs service 911 messages; first for update, second for phone (have pic of phone message)
Right at a month and 1000k miles ownership,
I've had the uconnect module replaced and the latest 4gig update as of 12 July with no significant changes. I have a star case and a uconnect case with them. Dealer has it until they can return it to me fixed.

silvermax04 07-14-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 858021)
I didn't see one specific thread identifying the most common issues people are having with their 2014 Grand Cherokee, so I thought I'd start this thread for all the current owners to help categorize them all. Please give a short description of the issues/complaints you are having with YOUR 2014 Grand Cherokee...not what you've read on the internet...and if the issue has been corrected or not. Here are mine:

1) Defective Airbag Sensor - The warning light lit up when I first took delivery on my new Grand Cherokee...sensor was replaced under warranty and all has been fine since.

2) Rough Shifting Transmission - Much Better after a battery reset, but every now and then in bumper to bumper traffic I'll get a hard shift going into one of the lower gears. Since it varies depending on what mode you're in, I believe this to be a software issue.

3) Thumping in Back Going over Bumps (trailer pkg.) - I've read that it may be the self-leveling shocks...but I've looked under the rear of the vehicle to see if anything is loose, tried tightening down spare tire and better securing the Styrofoam jack/tire iron setup...along with putting weight on the rear cover itself hoping it would quite things down...no luck so far.

4) Outside Temperature Display Incorrect - I've heard there's a fix coming, but as it stands now, I don't even bother looking at it.

5) Vibration at Highway Speeds (20" Wheels) - Between 60 and 70 mph I get a slight vibration in the seat and steering wheel...in my opinion it's the tires. I've made an appointment at the dealership to address this.

6) 8.4A Issues - From day one I've had assorted issues with my 8.4A like settings not being saved, and static pops when listening to FM, but I have to say that over time things have improved...possibly from UConnect updates since I've not brought my Jeep back to the dealership yet.

Summit 5.7L mid march build date
-Rough shifting 1-3 trans fixed so far by battery cable rest
-Noisy,shaky Fortera tires not a mechanical Jeep issue just a cheap low quality tire that will be replaced in time.
-AC not currently turning on with remote start though it now seems sporadic.

Nothing that major for me I like my Jeep a lot. Worst in my opinion is their choice to use low quality tires takes away from what other wise is a good vehicle.

ba_jeepfan 07-14-2013 01:44 PM

2014 Limited Jeep GC, 4x4, 20 inch tires, deep cherry V8 8.4 Nav, Tech, Lux packages

I have only had my jeep a few days, and have been in the break in period finally at 300 miles and can start driving normal speeds. So far I have only noticed a few small things and plan on taking back to dealership to hopefully get them addressed.

I noticed the weather stripping was done poorly around all my window some are crimped others folded, and loose etc...

The garage door opener controls do not work, and this may be user error but I don't think so as husband has never had issues before w/ other vehicles & followed the manual instructions.

same as everyone so this is a known issue that hopefully will get resolved but AC does not come on when remotely started.

I noticed that after my husband as been in jeep and paired his phone, it does not recognize my phone and switch over. Does anyone know is this a problem, or are you suppose to repair phone every time?

Also something very unimportant but when you spend that much on a brand new vehicle you expect everything to work as advertised so I'll mention it the cup holders do not illuminate w/ the rest of illuminated items in cab.

So overall I feel good about my purchase so far nothing too big that shouldn't be a easy fix. However, as I said being so new, and hearing most issues seem to appear after 1000 miles have been reached, I am keeping jeep in prayers & fingers crossed these will be only problems we have. Will keep you posted...

fumblefingers1 07-14-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

6) 8.4A Issues - From day one I've had assorted issues with my 8.4A NAV could be improved upon as well (maybe just an update is needed)

I thought the NAV was 8.4AN. It is listed on the build sheet as RA4 for tha 8.4AN and RA3 for the 8.4A. If I am wrong is the 8.4A dealer upgradeable for NAV as the 8.4AN has a MSRP of 400 more?

GCLimited 07-15-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumblefingers1 (Post 858133)

I thought the NAV was 8.4AN. It is listed on the build sheet as RA4 for tha 8.4AN and RA3 for the 8.4A. If I am wrong is the 8.4A dealer upgradeable for NAV as the 8.4AN has a MSRP of 400 more?

You can add NAV to the lesser 8.4A (RA3), it costs an outrageous $595 and does not include some features like live traffic and 3D display. Believe me...if I had known this earlier on I would have opted for the RA4, which was an extra $395.

I fortunately did not pay a single penny for my NAV upgrade...a compensation gift from Chrysler for my air bag sensor issues when first taking delivery of my 2014 GC Limited.

dtrvm 07-15-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

NAV could be improved upon as well (maybe just an update is needed), there's been a couple of instances where it tells you to exit at turnoffs that don't exist, tells you to turn off the main road...just to put you back on it later, and to this day it still lists my house on the wrong side of the street.

Good thread to start.

I have owned a number of gps units and your desires will not be met.

wrong side of the street is common - just be happy it got you there

exits that do not exist, incorrect turns, telling you to turn on to the exit ramp of an interstate highway, etc, etc. are just the current state of the art for gps units.

Iceman4123ca 07-15-2013 10:03 AM

Don't want to hijack your thread but I was going to start a similar one to discuss what to have the dealer check when picking up your vehicle. I'm trying to create a list as I will be driving home to Michigan from Koons in VA and don't want any surprises.