Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/need-advice-on-mountain-road-driving-62833.html)

Jeep4Ron 07-14-2013 07:56 PM

Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
I have a 2014 Overland with the V6 and ORAII that I need to drive up a very steep mountain road. The road is paved the entire way, but has some of the steepest switch-backs I have ever seen. I have driven the road before in my old 2001 Grand Cherokee but it had a V8 engine.

My question is, should I use 4-wheel low when going up and down this road or is that bad for the drive train or axles going up a steep, paved road with extremely sharp turns? You can see the top of the road if you cut and paste these coordinates into Google Earth:

39 12 17.62 N 121 49 11.53 W

At one point, the road gains 250' elevation in just over 750' horizontal. With no guard rails and a 1,000'+ fall into the valley, you don't get to make two mistakes on a road like this! :eek:

ChrisOC 07-14-2013 08:09 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
Idk man, but that is a great bumper sticker.

SLLJG 07-14-2013 08:17 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
What about putting the transmission in Sport mode and using the paddle shifters to keep the transmission in the lowest gears?

Jeep4Ron 07-14-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOC (Post 858260)
Idk man, but that is a great bumper sticker.

I was hoping someone would notice! :D Cafe Press sells them:
Anti Carbon Credits Bumper Stickers | Car Stickers, Decals, & More

hemi15 07-14-2013 08:35 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
I would agree with SLLJC put in sport mode and use paddle shifters if needed. If you need on one steep place you can put into low but going up all the way at low gear with those sharp turns does not seem to be a good option.

By the way the road seems to be a fun to drive road but little scary since it is in the middle of no where.
What is at the top? looks like there are two high towers which you can access with a lift.

greenwayer 07-14-2013 08:56 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
Dont put it into 4wd Lo. That gear is just for a very short time and in places where there is no traction, in other words a last ditch effort. If you put 4 lo on paved road like that you can VERY easily lose control or burn your engine out. Turns in 4lo also tend to make some pretty bad noises from the drive train. I would keep it in regular 4wd and put it into 1st or 2nd gear depending on how high the revs are. You can shift into 2nd half way up the hill. Your wk2's v6 makes more power, like 50 hp more, than your old wjs v8 btw. I have driven up some scary roads in the mountains and I know how you feel man. Good Luck!

jacko15 07-14-2013 09:14 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
I started getting vertigo looking at the Google Earth views of that place. Awesome! Please post some pictures if you survive! All kidding aside, SLLJG has the right idea. Control is the name of the game. 4wd Lo is for traction problems. You shouldn't have to deal with those on a paved road. Speed is what you want to control, especially on the way back down.

bill_de 07-14-2013 09:41 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 858288)
Dont put it into 4wd Lo. That gear is just for a very short time and in places where there is no traction, in other words a last ditch effort. If you put 4 lo on paved road like that you can VERY easily lose control or burn your engine out. Turns in 4lo also tend to make some pretty bad noises from the drive train. I would keep it in regular 4wd and put it into 1st or 2nd gear depending on how high the revs are. You can shift into 2nd half way up the hill. Your wk2's v6 makes more power, like 50 hp more, than your old wjs v8 btw. I have driven up some scary roads in the mountains and I know how you feel man. Good Luck!

+1 Never use 4 wheel low on paved roads. There is probably a warning about it in the Owner's Manual

As far as which gear to use, you'll have to decide that as you go. I don't know the road, but if you see an old VW Beetle passing you, you probably over thought this trip. :)


---

Tony407 07-14-2013 10:07 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
I drive from Portland to San Diego once a year or so and I've driven past that turnoff many, many times. I'll have to check it out!!! I've driven the other way, highway 20 west of Williams towards Ft. Bragg, but never to the east.

I agree with others. Don't use low unless you're on a low traction surface.

Tony

Aiyer 07-14-2013 10:13 PM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
You will be fine. It is a paved road so no need for 4-lo. Just drive slow and don't get mesmerized by the view while driving. If you want to enjoy the view, stop the Jeep first. :)

And post pictures please!!

Cheers,
-A

Jeep4Ron 07-15-2013 02:11 AM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 858327)
I drive from Portland to San Diego once a year or so and I've driven past that turnoff many, many times. I'll have to check it out!!! I've driven the other way, highway 20 west of Williams towards Ft. Bragg, but never to the east.

I agree with others. Don't use low unless you're on a low traction surface.

Tony

You can see the Sutter Buttes very easily from HWY 5 almost anywhere between Red Bluff and Sacramento, but unfortunately, the road is private and very securely locked. I go up there since there is a communications site at the top and I am the Chief Engineer of two of the FM stations with transmitters there. It's definitely a "white knuckle" drive!

For a fun off-road drive, try Shasta Bally west of Redding, which is open to the public during the summer months. You gain 5,000' of elevation in just 7 miles of 'washboard' dirt/rock road and end up a com site 6,200' AMSL. That would be a good candidate for the "Rock" setting!

Tony407 07-15-2013 03:00 AM

Re: Need Advice on Mountain Road Driving
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep4Ron (Post 858382)
but unfortunately, the road is private and very securely locked. I go up there since there is a communications site at the top and I am the Chief Engineer of two of the FM stations with transmitters there. It's definitely a "white knuckle" drive!

You sir, are a TEASE!!! :motx:

Tony


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community