Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Get rid of trail marks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/get-rid-of-trail-marks-62884.html)

greenwayer 07-16-2013 01:19 AM

Get rid of trail marks

1 Attachment(s)
After taking my jeep off roading I have tons of tree scratches all over the body, all are flat, and I need some tips on getting them out. I used meguiars ultimate 105 cutting compound with my 10 inch random orbital, followed by 205 ultimate polishing compound. I got most of the scratches out but there are some persistent ones. Any tips? I know they are marks of valor but they are so bad my Jeep just looks ugly. I am attaching a pic of the scratches before I did any work. Keep in mind the whole body looked like this.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-16-2013 01:39 AM

Re: Get rid of trail marks

some of those look pretty bad, you might just be sol on many of them

greenwayer 07-16-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 859026)
some of those look pretty bad, you might just be sol on many of them

Was really hoping that wasnt the case. I noticed my orbital is leaving a swirly residue, how do I get rid of that?

dippinsoldier92 07-26-2013 09:30 AM

What I used to get the swirls out of my paint is 3M perfect-it ultrafine machine polish, and a orbital buffer set at about 600 rpm on a foam pad. When I do it I just buff everything in sight, paint, trim, lights, and just wipe it off whenever I get done, no need to wait for it to dry. It does wonders with swirls and the lighter scratches and scuffs, but the bigger scuffs it'll hide but you can still see me if you look at the paint right.

NoRice 08-15-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 859023)
After taking my jeep off roading I have tons of tree scratches all over the body, all are flat, and I need some tips on getting them out. I used meguiars ultimate 105 cutting compound with my 10 inch random orbital, followed by 205 ultimate polishing compound. I got most of the scratches out but there are some persistent ones. Any tips? I know they are marks of valor but they are so bad my Jeep just looks ugly. I am attaching a pic of the scratches before I did any work. Keep in mind the whole body looked like this.

No such thing as marks of valor. I'm real big into working out and people who get stretchmarks from bodybuilding always say the same thing. "Stretch marks are battle scars, be proud". Yea right lol. I would just stop off roading and take the Jeep to a bodyshop for a new paint job. Might be pricey but worth it.

studio1930 08-15-2013 11:31 AM

You have to use the proper pad with the proper compound or polish. What type/color of pad did you use? I use Menzerna FG400 with an orange pad (yellow for really bad stuff) to get out RIDS and swirls.

Scottina06 08-15-2013 11:34 AM

can we see some after pics?