Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Leather Seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/leather-seats-62892.html)

Chunderboy 07-16-2013 08:46 AM

Leather Seats

Ok, so here is the thing. I have E group package and want to get the leather seats. I know my dealer here in Manhattan charges roughly 1200 for the install, but is it worth it to go through them? Should I venture out to a different upholstery place around here for it do be done if it saves me some scratch (benefit vs. detriment)?

Just wondering what to do bc with a baby and a dog, leather is much easier to clean up. So, do I go through the stealership, or find a reputable place for cheaper?

Ideas people.....

Andoskyy 07-16-2013 09:01 AM

Re: Leather Seats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 859112)
Ok, so here is the thing. I have E group package and want to get the leather seats. I know my dealer here in Manhattan charges roughly 1200 for the install, but is it worth it to go through them? Should I venture out to a different upholstery place around here for it do be done if it saves me some scratch (benefit vs. detriment)?

Just wondering what to do bc with a baby and a dog, leather is much easier to clean up. So, do I go through the stealership, or find a reputable place for cheaper?

Ideas people.....

http://www.katzkin.com/

probably one of the highest rated after market leather places out there....besides going to a custom upholstery shop....which will cost 3x what Katskinz does.

If wear and tear is your biggest concern, I'd look for Leatherette. Extremely durable, just as easy to clean, and cheaper.

Jim_in_PA 07-16-2013 09:02 AM

Folks speak very favorably about the Katsan (SP ?) leather. Your number seems in the ballpark, but there are different versions of leather and design options available.

Chunderboy 07-16-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 859119)
KATSkinz.com: The Leading Cats Site on the Net

probably one of the highest rated after market leather places out there....besides going to a custom upholstery shop....which will cost 3x what Katskinz does.

If wear and tear is your biggest concern, I'd look for Leatherette. Extremely durable, just as easy to clean, and cheaper.

But what about feel/finish? How does it compare to leather? That could be considered a stupid question, but for someone that doesn't know, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Chunderboy 07-16-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 859120)
Folks speak very favorably about the Katsan (SP ?) leather. Your number seems in the ballpark, but there are different versions of leather and design options available.

Yup, they do. I am just looking for "plain vanilla" leather to make it look nice. Just curious, does the dealer use them or their own proprietary brand?

jacko15 07-16-2013 09:23 AM

Try this link, it works... Car Leather Upholstery | Custom Auto Leather Interiors by Katzkin

Andoskyy 07-16-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 859124)
But what about feel/finish? How does it compare to leather? That could be considered a stupid question, but for someone that doesn't know, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not a stupid question. It feels very similar. I bet you've sat in vehicles with leatherette many times thinking it was leather.

Any base model BMW, especially the 3 series, has leatherette. The VW Touareg has leatherette in the base model as well. The Prius only uses leatherette because it's more humane/eco-friendly

The fact that 3 people already recommended Katzkin means that'd be a good place to start! :thumbsup:

Chunderboy 07-16-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 859147)
Not a stupid question. It feels very similar. I bet you've sat in vehicles with leatherette many times thinking it was leather.

Any base model BMW, especially the 3 series, has leatherette. The VW Touareg has leatherette in the base model as well. The Prius only uses leatherette because it's more humane/eco-friendly

The fact that 3 people already recommended Katzkin means that'd be a good place to start! :thumbsup:

Yup, thinking the same thing. Now, to find a place that can do it on the cheap... :)

Andoskyy 07-16-2013 10:19 AM

DIY shouldnt be a problem. check these out:

Drag' N' Wagon interior [S5 Ep.13-1] - YouTube FF to 2:00
Drag' N' Wagon Interior [S5 Ep.13-2] - YouTube

Chunderboy 07-16-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 859164)

Thanks bro. as far as DIY, i wonder if any issues would arise bc of the airbags in the seats.

Willx 07-16-2013 10:29 AM

Even the Dealers use Katskin a lot. They usually have a Mopar book of Katskins stuff. On the fake stuff.... it is more durable and looks great. My Mercedes ML320 was Artico (False) leather, along with about 80% of the Mercedes on the road!

Chunderboy 07-16-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 859173)
Even the Dealers use Katskin a lot. They usually have a Mopar book of Katskins stuff. On the fake stuff.... it is more durable and looks great. My Mercedes ML320 was Artico (False) leather, along with about 80% of the Mercedes on the road!

And as far as the feel of it?