Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/difference-between-sport-mode-on-the-dial-and-sport-on-the-shifter-62904.html)

Chris02stNg 07-16-2013 12:11 PM

Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
Hi guys - I was hoping someone could explain what the difference is between using 'sport mode' from the rotary dial on the console, to 'sport mode' initiated from the shifter? Or IS there any difference? I can't seem to find any reference to them doing different things in the manual or anything.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

bill_de 07-16-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
No difference. Through the '13 model year it was on the dial. In '14 they added an option on the select terrain, so had to move the "S" mode to the shifter.


---

JeepGCOverland 07-16-2013 12:25 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 859250)
No difference. Through the '13 model year it was on the dial. In '14 they added an option on the select terrain, so had to move the "S" mode to the shifter.


---

He has the SRT so sport mode is still on the dial in addition to the shifter.

bill_de 07-16-2013 12:36 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland (Post 859256)
He has the SRT so sport mode is still on the dial in addition to the shifter.

Thanks, I missed that ... my bad. :o


---

JeepGCOverland 07-16-2013 12:49 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 859261)
Thanks, I missed that ... my bad. :o


---

I had typed up the same response as you and was about to submit the post when I realized the OP has an SRT. :lol:

Chris02stNg 07-16-2013 01:04 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
yes sorry guys - should have specified that!

JeepGCOverland 07-16-2013 01:09 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
No apology needed! Sorry we couldn't answer your question. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the SRT can answer it soon! :thumbsup:

Scottina06 07-16-2013 01:18 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
according to my buddies at SRT...there is no difference. I really cant tell any difference.

bill_de 07-16-2013 02:06 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris02stNg (Post 859274)
yes sorry guys - should have specified that!

Actually it is specified right under you user name. Totally my carelessness. :p


---

Wheelman 07-16-2013 03:38 PM

Re: Difference between sport mode on the dial and 'sport' on the shifter?
 
The sport setting on the shifter firms and speeds up the shifts. The gears hold longer and shift at higher rpm. The suspension will remain in the auto "soft setting"

Turning the rotary dial to "sport" will do the same shifting changes, as well as firm up the suspension for a sportier ride.

The purpose of the shifter selection into sport is if you want faster more aggressive shifts, hold gears longer, shifter later in the rpm range, but still have the comfy soft ride.

14StormTrooper 07-16-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelman (Post 859386)
The sport setting on the shifter firms and speeds up the shifts. The gears hold longer and shift at higher rpm. The suspension will remain in the auto "soft setting" Turning the rotary dial to "sport" will do the same shifting changes, as well as firm up the suspension for a sportier ride. The purpose of the shifter selection into sport is if you want faster more aggressive shifts, hold gears longer, shifter later in the rpm range, but still have the comfy soft ride.


I agree completely with this statement. I have experienced the same. With out the dial turned to sport you don't get the suspension part of the sport mode.

Chris02stNg 07-16-2013 06:51 PM

Interesting... thanks for everyone's responses. I guess it makes sense, it just wasn't inherently obvious to me and wasn't clear at all in the manual.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community