Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   2002 limited alarm lockout? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/2002-limited-alarm-lockout-62906.html)

ebrodnick 07-16-2013 01:06 PM

2002 limited alarm lockout?

Hey all,

After spending the weekend replacing both cylinder heads due to a dropped valve seat.

Anyway, everything went smooth for the most part. After hooking up the battery and hitting the unlock button on my key fob the alarm went off. I'm sure I did not hit the panic button. After getting the alarm to shut off I went to try and start the car... And nothing at all. No starter engaging but can hear clicking in the PCM. Disconnected battery again, reconnected, still same thing. I've tried using key in driver door unlocking/locking but to no avail.

I'm assuming it has to do with the alarm preventing the car from starting/ engaging starter. The engine light also flashes a few times when the key is turned but no code can be pulled.

Appreciate in advance.

Frango100 07-16-2013 10:36 PM

Re: 2002 limited alarm lockout?

Welcome to the garage.
The alarm system will not prevent the engine from cranking. There are in fact two separate theft prevention systems, the car alarm system and the sentry key imobilizer system. The alarm system will only sound a horn when someone breaks into your jeep and the imobilizer system will stop the engine after a few seconds after it didnīt get a valid key signal. But non of the two will prevent the engine from cranking.
The clicking you hear is most probably the starter relay in the power distribution center. If the starter solenoid will not engage, could have to do with a forgotten ground strap or alike. Did you check all electrical connections which where removed to be fastened and connected again?

Frango100 07-16-2013 10:57 PM

Just checking the wiring schematic, i see that fuse 8 in the PDC is for the starter solenoid, but is also used for the alarm system. Have a look if its not blown.

ebrodnick 07-16-2013 11:28 PM

Alright I will give fuse 8 a check to see if it's blown. As far as ground wires go I'm almost positive everything went back to its initial spot. How many ground wires are there on the wj and do you know the locations so that I could check them as well.

Thanks for your reply

Jeep on.

ebrodnick 07-17-2013 04:37 PM

Is there any particular sensor(s) that will prevent the engine from cranking if unplugged?

hoffmanestates 07-17-2013 05:17 PM

Starter engauging?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Frango100 07-17-2013 05:38 PM

No sensors involved in the starter circuit. Did you check if the clicking you hear is from the starter relay in the PDC? Did you swap this relay with an other in the PDC?
Do you measure 12 V at the starter motor when trying to start?
There are several ground wires, but most of them are on the lower end, which you probably didn't remove.

ebrodnick 07-18-2013 10:14 AM

Problem solved. Unbolted starter and the plug was loose. DOH! thanks for your replies.

00laredo 08-18-2013 09:08 PM

Ok kinda had the same thing but changed the PCM. Now when I try to start it it turns over but won't start. Dealership says I need a new key programmed or a code put in. Is there any way around this? I hate paying dealerships

Frango100 08-18-2013 09:25 PM

When putting a new PCM in the jeep, the vehicle VIN and milage must be programmed into it. To do so a DRBIII scanner is needed. You could look around for an other place then the stealer for that.
I'm not aware of programming a key in this case, because the key programming is done in the SKIM (sentry key imobilizer module)
Also the SKIM secret key will be send to the new PCM with the help of the DRBIII. Without this secret key, the engine can start, but will shut down after 3 seconds.

00laredo 08-18-2013 09:31 PM

The place I ordered the new PCM from programmed the info in already. I have a key with line through it on the dash now.

Frango100 08-18-2013 09:41 PM

So they probably programmed the VIN and milage, but the secret SKIM code can only be send from the SKIM itself. Without this code the PCM doesn't see the ok signal from the SKIM (that a proper key is used) and the engine will not start (or starts, but shuts down in 3 seconds).