Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   MiFi connected to UConnect Access?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/mifi-connected-to-uconnect-access-62909.html)

Skijackz 07-16-2013 02:36 PM

MiFi connected to UConnect Access??

I looked up the prices to renew UConnect and found them to be seriously expensive. I have a ATT MiFi device. Will I be able to connect the MiFi to UConnect and get all of the benefits using Yelp, traffic, etc instead of having to pay for both?

jorgetx 07-18-2013 02:27 PM

Re: MiFi connected to UConnect Access??

I would also like to know the answer to this if anyone has any insight.

Thanks!

Born2golf 07-18-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skijackz (Post 859338)
I looked up the prices to renew UConnect and found them to be seriously expensive. I have a ATT MiFi device. Will I be able to connect the MiFi to UConnect and get all of the benefits using Yelp, traffic, etc instead of having to pay for both?

While on a call with uconnect support on a different issue, i asked this question and was told it will not work. However I would not be surprised if future versions of the uconnect software change that. I think there will be a outcry next year when all the 1 year trial start expiring. Alternatively I think sometime in the future we will see custom ROMs developed for this platform just like the cell phones today. Expanding the capabilities of the device beyond what the manufacturer wants to support.

I also asked about changing the carrier chip. I would prefer to make the car use Verizon wireless. Then it would be able to partake in my share everything plan.

StaticFX 07-19-2013 07:39 AM

Unless the sierra card has the ability to connect to wifi (which im guessing it cant - and is not designed for that) this will never happen. The uconnect is essentially a cell phone. What you are proposing would be like you having to connect you cell to someone elses cell anytime you wanted it to work. While that is possible, it was not designed that way. Just my opinion of course :) who knows?

As far as the carrier, im going to guess also that even if it did use verizon.. it wouldnt share your plan. Its not a normal phone.... it calls Uconnect. and gets some simple data.
Any heavy data usage will still use your phone. Like when pandora, iheart etc come.. you will be using your own data plan for them to work.

Born2golf 07-19-2013 09:44 AM

I am going to disagree with you. The 8.4RAN has the ability to act as a WiFi hotspot so it certainly has WiFi abilities, which are currently configured as an access point. However that is a software function which could be rewritten to act as an endpoint instead (theoretically). Just as most smart phones can are normally endpoints but can also operate as hotspots.

As for the carrier, the discussion is moot because the carrier is fixed and cannot be changed. But from a technological perspective you are confusing the traffic with the network. The network is generic 3g data connection to sprint. (Which as previously stated can be used as a hot spot to allow your WiFi devices to go anywhere on the inter webs). However the traffic is currently limited to Uconnect traffic or yelp. But again that is a function of software.

Here is an example. Currently the mars rover is crawling around the surface of mars to look for water and other life indicators. Because that is what its software is programmed to do. But it could just as easily be programmed to take your trash to the curb. Same hardware, different software.

I have actively been applying ROM images to phones and gaming consoles for years, which effectively changes its core features. The uconnect is not all that different. The hardware is capable, it is just a matter of what they want do with it. And that will be limited by safety and license agreements. And if uconnect fails to add features to its promising platform, I think someone else will do it via the hacker community. Just my humble opinion.

StaticFX 07-19-2013 09:52 AM

I know what you are saying... I just think the hardware has to be able to receive wifi signals for it to work. My $$ says it wont - why add extra hardware for something that would never get used (unless it just comes included in the sierra hw already...hmmm). That would completely defeat the purpose of having/creating Uconnect access. $$$ :) lol

"jailbreak" style.. i could see some cool mods happening - it is QNX.

tomk 07-21-2013 05:03 AM

If the RA3/4 can be an access point ('hotspot'), then it has all the hardware it needs to be a wifi client as well. As someone notes above, it's just software at that point.

What *I* would like to be able to do is USB tether the uconnect to my Droid like I can do with my laptop. I don't think that works, but I haven't actually tried it. (I do not want to pair my phone, so I also have not tried the bluetooth "access")

StaticFX 07-22-2013 07:59 AM

ok.. heres another question.

Why do you even want to do this? (use you phone for the connection)

Uconnect is:

Roadside assistance/uconnect help - wont work since you arent paying for it
Wifi hotspot - you can already do this from most phones - and doesnt cost an extra $10/day
Yelp - available on most smart phones (and works faster)
Iheart radio, pandora, Slacker - etc - Will be using you current data plan anyway - I havent tried it yet, but i but using the usb or bt connection will work to let you listen anyway.

So... why use your phone to connect the uconnect to get the same stuff thats already on your phone? and the MAIN reason for the uconnect access - the ASSIST button wouldnt work anyway since its part of the paid service (even if you could connect this way... no way will Uconnect give you any of this for free lol)
Know what i mean?

jacko15 07-22-2013 08:24 AM

After my free trial of OnStar ran out in my Buick I never renewed, and never missed it. I'm sure I'll get arguments about how great and important some of the features are, but I never used them. I have a feeling Uconnect Assist will be the same. I also only listen to one station on SiriusXM, so that will also go. The only paid service I really like with Uconnect is Travel Link and Nav Traffic. If I'm able to subscribe to those a la carte, I will. At some point you have to decide how many, and how large the revenue streams out of your wallet are growing, and which ones are really necessary to you.

geox19 07-22-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2golf (Post 860838)
While on a call with uconnect support on a different issue, i asked this question and was told it will not work. However I would not be surprised if future versions of the uconnect software change that. I think there will be a outcry next year when all the 1 year trial start expiring. Alternatively I think sometime in the future we will see custom ROMs developed for this platform just like the cell phones today. Expanding the capabilities of the device beyond what the manufacturer wants to support.

I also asked about changing the carrier chip. I would prefer to make the car use Verizon wireless. Then it would be able to partake in my share everything plan.

The AR5550 will work with verizon you would just have to take the proper steps to hook it up. Unless you leased your jeep you can do whatever you want with in reason warranty might not hold up but hey they would never know. Would it work with Uconnect not sure of that haven't tried that yet. To tell you the truth it would be very easy for someone or another company to setup their own uconnect like service it would work just like those find my phone sites.

StaticFX 07-22-2013 12:38 PM

still not sure why it would matter who the carrier is? you pay per month for the service.. not the carrier (thats included in the price). Just because its on Verizon - the service would not be free or included in your plan.

geox19 07-22-2013 12:46 PM

Yeah if your going to pay for the Uconnect it really wouldn't matter who your provider is. Now if you wanted to use another say uconnect like service that company wouldn't have to provide cell service so they could make the price much cheaper if you were on your own cell plan.