Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Stuck on vacation.. 2014 summit

8K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  jacko15 
#1 ·
i guess it could be worse..

just drove 3000 miles to hood river OR from lousy-ana for a vacation from the rancid heat, in my brand spanking new 2014 summit.. Which I had been waiting to arrive for 1.5 years, literally(had to wait for the 8spd)

should have known i had a lemon when i picked it up from the dealership and the radio started acting haywire(not responding to 50% of commands.. still happens all the time.. have to pull over/turn off/ let sit for 5 minutes to reset.. but that's a whole other issue for which I have had the dealer look at with no resolve as of yet)

so yesterday, front end air suspension went out completely.. "service air suspension immediately" comes on.. can hear front tires hitting the wheel wells at even the slightest bump

called Chrysler this morning they told me to take it 20 miles away to the C. H. Urness Motor Company in The Dalles.. when i got there, they informed me that they were too swamped to even run diagnostics and it wouldn't be until friday that they could look at it.. of course, there was 3 guys in front of the garage, chilling like they were paid by the state.. in the same spot when i went in and left 30min later when i left.. Then they proceeded to send me along my merry way.. no loaner?! no "hey, that's not safe to drive, let us look at that real quick"..wtf?? my response.. "where's the nearest RR dealership?" if i'm gonna have a junker it might as well get me laid..

now, i guess i'm just gonna have to drive it till friday, when they can see me.. sucks that the house i rented is on a long steep rocky driveway.. sucks that I'm wasting my vacation dealing with this.. sure it's about to get a lot worse..

was about to post then went out to take some pics.. just noticed that the left axle looks like it's at a different angle in the boot than the right axel also looks a lot more extended.. jeep is not on a level surface so may be the issue.. or, could the axle be broken? I did hit a pothole yesterday but it was only about 10" in diameter.. seemed to jolt vehicle a bit more than expected but not much

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
doesn't seem to be working.. removed the 40 and the 10 fuse and also tried with removing the relay.. is there a specific reset process? i can hear what seems to be the compressor kicking on by the front passenger side but no lift..

#9 ·
any idea what kind of down time I'm looking at for repairs? as stated.. here on vacation till next wednesday then supposed to drive 3000 miles back home

#12 ·
any idea what kind of down time I'm looking at for repairs? as stated.. here on vacation till next wednesday then supposed to drive 3000 miles back home
If its a leak they will have to locate the leak and then order parts. Finding a leak is usually using soap bubbles and just going over the system. Whats going to take the time is getting the parts so I think if it goes in Friday you will be hard pressed to have it back Wednesday. I had a 2011 Overland and it had a bad compressor from the factory and it took a week to get the part and then just a day to install and then the dealer needs to have class 5 nitrogen to refill the system. A lot depends on the dealer is this a large dealer with someone with a lot of knowledge and experience with the air suspensions?

#11 ·
no one offered!!! Service Manager sent me along my merry way.. even went back inside to express my disbelief

told him i just drove 25 miles to get there on it

said they were too booked.. couldn't even run diagnostics until friday.. he wouldn't even come outside to look at it..
disgusted!!!

#16 ·
did that first.. said there would be an additional charge to tow it to portland because of the range so that's when I opted to limp it over the The Dalles..
I'm guessing that loaners are a thing of the past.. when I mentioned at the dealership i swear i got a chuckle

chrystler has assigned me a case number and said a represenative should contact me tomorrow.. said that since I paid EXTRA for the 7yr extended warranty, I could get and pay for a rental and I would be able to be reimbursed, I'm assuming through the third party that my warranty is probably through..

I guess I just expected/hoped for a little more with just dropping 50k+ on a vehicle..

#23 ·
Did you call Gresham and let them know you are coming, and what your situation is like. If necessary they may be able to reschedule something to make room for you. No service department like surprises. Even if customer service set it up, I would speak to the service manager today.

----

#25 ·
think it's ok to make the 60 mile drive? what additional damage, if any, could occur?
i can't drive 55.. do i have ta try? don't tell me to keep it under 35!!!

#30 ·
think it's ok to make the 60 mile drive? what additional damage, if any, could occur?
i can't drive 55.. do i have ta try? don't tell me to keep it under 35!!!

Well you suspension is down so you have no springs that's what the air bags take the place of. I would have to think the ride is pretty bad now. Do you feel every little crack in the road? I would probably get a tow as to not risk causing any damage.

#26 ·
That front tire looks close to being tucked under the fender is the any suspension left? I don't think I would chance hitting a bump with the wheels turned and end up ripping up the fender or having an accident. Chrysler won't even give you a loaner so do you have confidence in them if you do more damage from driving it that they will cover it?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

#27 ·
Speed limit on the 84 is 65 for most of the way to gresham. It's a pretty crappy freeway with quite a few expansion joints. It's going to be a rough ride looking at your suspension. Sucks about the lame dealer in the dalles! Good luck in gresham. They should be a pretty decent size dealership. I bought mine over on the west side of Portland.

#29 ·
First off, I'm sorry to hear about this. What an inconvenience. I don't think I would drive it there. Seems like a liability and you could do more damage. Do u have AAA, if so, maybe see if you could talk your way into a free tow or if they could work with you for a cheaper rate. If that doesn't work, I would tow it anyways or maybe rent a uhaul with a car trailer and just do it myself.

Keep us updated and try to not let this ruin your vacation.

#34 ·
Man that sucks driving like that you could have a blow out on the highway be careful. It looks like jeep still has it bad service Even if you paid 50 plus for a jeep.

#35 · (Edited)
This reminds me of the problems GM had with the air suspension in the GMC RVs but at least it used compressed air so you had options.

I have had AAA Century plus with 100 mile towing for years, is only about $100/year.

ps my "lifetime warrenty" from Chrysler says "Expires on 2095-04-29 or 999999 miles ... Rental Car Allowance $35.00 per day for a maximum of $175.00" - beyond that would need corporate approval.

Also "The Plan will pay up to $1,000 for lodging, meals, and emergency transportation such as taxi,
bus, or airline for you and your family if (1) your vehicle is inoperable due to a failure covered under this Plan or under
the factory warranty, and (2) you are more than 100 miles from the address of record.
"

pps To see if you have a Chrysler warrenty, go here and login with your name and VIN.

YMMV

#36 ·
not gonna sweat it.. it seems that there is some sort of emergency back up shock spiring.. it's supper low but still feels like it bounces a little.. not gonna let it ruin my vacation.. just got back from a river session loaded down with 2 paddle boards, 100lbs of kiteboarding gear, 100lbs dog and 1??lbs girlfriend.. 2 tears in a bucket.. F' it..

Reactions: JoeyD
#37 · (Edited)
Chrysler's Max Care warranty also states: Towing Coverage $100 Roadside Assist, call 800-521-2779

Good luck pchamp, glad to hear you're still enjoying your vacation!

#41 ·
i guess it could be worse..

was about to post then went out to take some pics.. just noticed that the left axle looks like it's at a different angle in the boot than the right axel also looks a lot more extended.. jeep is not on a level surface so may be the issue.. or, could the axle be broken? I did hit a pothole yesterday but it was only about 10" in diameter.. seemed to jolt vehicle a bit more than expected but not much
Wouldn't worry about the axels, one is shorter than the other, therefore the angles will be different.

#45 ·
so.. an update on failed air suspension system..

finally got summit back yesterday.. have to say, Barb and Ken at Gresham jeep are the real deal!! they were super attentive to getting me back on the road.. the dealership in the Dalles can suck it!!

first, they replaced the command module.. that didn't work so then they inflated the system but the right front wouldn't work?hold(not sure) so they ordered/replaced the right front shock and I'm back on the road

#46 ·
so.. an update on failed air suspension system..

finally got summit back yesterday.. have to say, Barb and Ken at Gresham jeep are the real deal!! they were super attentive to getting me back on the road.. the dealership in the Dalles can suck it!!

first, they replaced the command module.. that didn't work so then they inflated the system but the right front wouldn't work?hold(not sure) so they ordered/replaced the right front shock and I'm back on the road
It's nice to hear there are some good service departments around. Hopefully nothing like this will happen again.

Didn't you say you hit a bad pot hole. If so, was that the right side?

---

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.