Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Possible to tighten jeep wk steering? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/possible-to-tighten-jeep-wk-steering-62977.html)

greenwayer 07-18-2013 01:33 AM

Possible to tighten jeep wk steering?

Is it possible to tighten the jeep wk's steering? The steering wheel feels like it has a little bit of slack and it feels pretty loose overall. Maybe I am just used to my bmw's tight steering wheel, but is it possible to adjust the steering wheel "tightness" on the wk? A while back I read it was possible to do it on my zj but I dont know about my wk.

dmsfun 07-20-2013 09:01 AM

Re: Possible to tighten jeep wk steering?

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance... Mine has great steering feedback with no sloppy feel. Since yours is an 05 WK, there are likely a lot of worn components that need replacement which will tighten up the steering. Sway bar mount bushings and end links are usually shot before 40k, tie rods and the steering rack may also need replacement. OEM Coil springs and shocks are shot by 60-70k. Tires also make a big difference.

greenwayer 07-20-2013 09:44 PM

I will probably change the sway bars soon to switch to srt sway bars, but how can I tell if the steering rack needs replacement? My tires are almost brand new.

dmsfun 07-22-2013 10:27 AM

If you are still on the original suspension, and have high mileage (over 60-70k) replacing end links and sway bar frame bushings will make a big difference in steering response. Note; 2005 WK uses a 30 mm front sway bar, while 2006 and up uses a 33 mm for better steering response and less understeer. Likewise if shocks are the originals, they are worn out, as are the coil springs and isolators, which degrades steering feel. The SRT bars are a nice handling upgrade; they also give a harsher ride and are less off road friendly, so if ride quality / off roading is more important, just get the bushings and links, shocks, springs, isolators.

greenwayer 07-22-2013 11:35 AM

My shocks feel ok while driving, they stabilize without too much bouncing. I know what worn shocks feel on my 98 and these are no where close to that.

ChrisWk 08-30-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 862645)
If you are still on the original suspension, and have high mileage (over 60-70k) replacing end links and sway bar frame bushings will make a big difference in steering response. Note; 2005 WK uses a 30 mm front sway bar, while 2006 and up uses a 33 mm for better steering response and less understeer. Likewise if shocks are the originals, they are worn out, as are the coil springs and isolators, which degrades steering feel. The SRT bars are a nice handling upgrade; they also give a harsher ride and are less off road friendly, so if ride quality / off roading is more important, just get the bushings and links, shocks, springs, isolators.

Question if the 05 uses a 30 mm front sway bar will a 33mm fit a 05 ?

greenwayer 08-30-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 885202)
Question if the 05 uses a 30 mm front sway bar will a 33mm fit a 05 ?

Yes, but then why not just get an srt8 front sway bar?

brentwoodkris 09-04-2013 08:36 AM

OEM Coils are toast by 70k? I have 110k+ on mine and my coils are doing fine...I don't think I've ever replaced them in any vehicle I've owned actually...I DO need to get around to those stupid end links though...yet another project...

greenwayer 09-04-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 887422)
OEM Coils are toast by 70k? I have 110k+ on mine and my coils are doing fine...I don't think I've ever replaced them in any vehicle I've owned actually...I DO need to get around to those stupid end links though...yet another project...

I agree with you on this. I dont think there is really a reason to replace the coils if the vehicle isnt sagging and all the clearences are to spec. I have 190k on my '98 and its on factory coils. I do however need to replace my spring isolaters, as they are creaking pretty badly.

greenwayer 09-04-2013 11:29 PM

Can I adjust the steering rack yoke as mentioned here?
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/final...unk-47810.html

AUTO-FX 09-07-2013 02:45 PM

No.
Do the bushings; also check your ball joints. Jack the front up , grab the wheel and give it a good wiggle top to bottom. You'll know if the ball joints are sloppy right away.

Strongjeff 09-09-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUTO-FX (Post 889538)
No.
Do the bushings; also check your ball joints. Jack the front up , grab the wheel and give it a good wiggle top to bottom. You'll know if the ball joints are sloppy right away.

+1 on this, especially if you keep the stock setup