Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Video/Navigation/Alarms (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f165/)
-   -   Harman Upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f165/harman-upgrade-62985.html)

rtcockrill 07-18-2013 11:47 AM

Harman Upgrade

Just to be clear that the upgrade to HK system is an upgrade of nothing more than the speakers, number of speakers, and amplification, correct? There's no other differences between the standard Alpine SRT stereo?

Baalic 07-18-2013 12:20 PM

Re: Harman Upgrade

Sounds about right, I Never really even noticed the Summit's had the Kardon systems when I drove around in one of those..... I'm sure the interior trim pieces will be differant as well though, something to consider.

rtcockrill 07-18-2013 12:26 PM

But as far as audio performance, the only difference are the physical locations, speakers, subs, and amps. I understand that the trim would different, but nothing that is substantial? I'm trying to decide if it's worth 2k to upgrade 9 speakers and subs...

Scottina06 07-18-2013 12:38 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - SRT Harman Kardon premium audio system

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/audio/harman_speakers_02.jpg

Scottina06 07-18-2013 12:41 PM

its worth it...the alpine is a joke compared to this system

rtcockrill 07-18-2013 12:44 PM

Scott, you don't think that for 2k replacing the Alpine speakers and adding some more bottom end umph could rival it?

johnpassantino1 07-18-2013 12:49 PM

This has to be one of the dumbest threads on here. Just get the upgraded stereo, no one orders the truck without it. Sorry to be mean but you would spend more than $2k replacing the other components to get an equivalent system.

You also say "so the only difference is.." and then proceed to list the entire system. Doesn't make sense. Get the HK is sounds great.

rtcockrill 07-18-2013 12:54 PM

I appreciate and respect you opinion, but I don't think that this is a dumb thread. I've read where a lot of people were unimpressed with the HK system and I am just trying to make certain the extra 2K is worth it. All I'm trying to do is get opinions as to other options. When I was asking abotu the difference, I wanted to make sure that there was no difference with the headunit between the two systems.

Carbon6 07-18-2013 02:19 PM

I hope you understand that its not TRULY a 19 speakers system. If you look at the diagram it states "19 speakers in 14 locations".

1- 10in sub
2- 160mm woofer (rear doors)
2- 6x9 woofers (front doors)
4- 25mm tweeters (all doors)
5- 90mm 2way-mids (cargo speakers, front doors, center channel- "10 speakers total")

From everything I have read, the head units are the same in the SRTs regardless of speakers option.

Scottina06 07-18-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtcockrill (Post 860524)
Scott, you don't think that for 2k replacing the Alpine speakers and adding some more bottom end umph could rival it?

oh...you def. could. Im no audio guy at all...but I think it would be a nightmare right now to integrate a new audio system with the uconnect 8.4an and have everything work properly....ie. steering controls etc etc. Then ripping apart this work of art interior? No thanks! For me...to have the clean install of the awesome oem system is worth the extra money. Now if your into the big sub boxes etc. and enjoy this kinda thing...by all means go for it. The HK system is more than enough for me. It rocks...thumps and is crisp and clear. I went to have my tires roadforce balanced and the tech said it was the best oem system he had ever heard.

BobsWK2 07-18-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 860617)
oh...you def. could. Im no audio guy at all...but I think it would be a nightmare right now to integrate a new audio system with the uconnect 8.4an and have everything work properly....ie. steering controls etc etc. Then ripping apart this work of art interior? No thanks! For me...to have the clean install of the awesome oem system is worth the extra money. Now if your into the big sub boxes etc. and enjoy this kinda thing...by all means go for it. The HK system is more than enough for me. It rocks...thumps and is crisp and clear. I went to have my tires roadforce balanced and the tech said it was the best oem system he had ever heard.

I had to have my steering wheel recentered at a tire store with a Hunter alignment rack and the tech asked me what kind of money I put into the audio system. When I told him it was a stock system that comes on the Summit (same as SRT), he also said it was THE best audio he's ever heard in any vehicle.

Red Suns 07-18-2013 11:52 PM

The HK audio upgrade was a must have when I ordered my SRT from the factory. If you are on the fence and iffy over a $2k option of suspect value, I highly recommend you take the time and listen for yourself. This has been discussed in other threads many of times. If you like music and music quality, this option is for you.