Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   where to get power from? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/where-to-get-power-from-62999.html)

jeep5.7 07-18-2013 07:42 PM

where to get power from?

I want to add some led ambient light inside the footwells im my 2014,where can I connect to get some power from when I turn on my lights,its a lease so I don't want to tear up the interior to bad

jeep5.7 07-19-2013 04:52 PM

Re: where to get power from?

can anyone help me

2012 Summit 07-19-2013 05:16 PM

Here's a write-up from another member:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/here-...ide-42530.html

Here's a search showing many relevant posts with various options:

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

jeep5.7 07-20-2013 05:17 PM

thank you,im thinking of tapping in the wire from the chip led from the footwell

RageOfFury 07-20-2013 09:20 PM

The 2014 GC uses a whole new electrical architecture. I'd be very, very careful about taping into lines.

A multimeter is a must have!

jeep5.7 07-21-2013 07:01 AM

oh wow ok,i might just tap into running light wires then,think that would be safer?

jeep5.7 07-22-2013 03:24 PM

can anyone else help with the new electrical system,i really want ambient lighting but don't want to screw anything up,i want to use led strip lighting like I had in my 08

JWS360 07-22-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep5.7 (Post 862832)
can anyone else help with the new electrical system,i really want ambient lighting but don't want to screw anything up,i want to use led strip lighting like I had in my 08

Isn't there an old fashioned fuse box somewhere? What about one of those "add a fuse/tap-able" things, like this:

Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

Seems to me a switched fuse (on/off with ignition--or better yet with headlights) should be fine.

jeep5.7 07-22-2013 08:14 PM

oh wow great idea,stupid question but is it safe and would I just pick a certain fuse and replace it,anyone better than another

JWS360 07-22-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep5.7 (Post 863013)
oh wow great idea,stupid question but is it safe and would I just pick a certain fuse and replace it,anyone better than another

Some fuses are switched, i.e go on/off with the ignition. Others are always on. Most (?) of the time, certain lighting, garage door or what we used to call cigarette outlets are switched. I'd pick something relatively unimportant and use a meter to test the circuit. Stay far, far away from airbags, brakes, ECU or other important lines. If you have 12v with the ignition all the way on and off when the key is off then you're set. Note that you must test both sides of the fuse as I'm not sure which is the input side. Sometimes one can "tap into" a cigarette lighter or similar wire once the plug its attached to is tested with a meter. I like not destructive and easily reversed methods myself. Of course, you'll need a good ground, too.

I hear the '14 has a different electrical system, but cannot confirm this. Always best to work slow and, if uncertain, contact a good stereo/accessory installer.

jdchamp31 07-22-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWS360 (Post 863033)
Some fuses are switched, i.e go on/off with the ignition. Others are always on. Most (?) of the time, certain lighting, garage door or what we used to call cigarette outlets are switched. I'd pick something relatively unimportant and use a meter to test the circuit. Stay far, far away from airbags, brakes, ECU or other important lines. If you have 12v with the ignition all the way on and off when the key is off then you're set. Note that you must test both sides of the fuse as I'm not sure which is the input side. Sometimes one can "tap into" a cigarette lighter or similar wire once the plug its attached to is tested with a meter. I like not destructive and easily reversed methods myself. Of course, you'll need a good ground, too.

I hear the '14 has a different electrical system, but cannot confirm this. Always best to work slow and, if uncertain, contact a good stereo/accessory installer.

The 14 runs on the new PowerNet architecture which handles PCM, ECU, and other electrical components. The standard stuff runs on 12 volts like any other vehicle and should not interfere with you putting a hot clip on the cig outlet wire. Check it with a multimeter but you should be fine. Be advised that the cig outlet under the radio is powered with the vehicle while the cig outlet inside the center console is always on. You can check on the cover f the cig outlet. If it has a key, it's on with ignition. If it has a battery, it's always on. Good luck!

jeep5.7 07-23-2013 03:18 PM

thanks guys,so if im understanding correctly all I have to do is replace the fuse,hook up a on and off switch,and run through the firewall?