Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   First oil change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/first-oil-change-63037.html)

Jetcop20 07-19-2013 03:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK. Dealer says wait till 6k miles to do 1st oil change.,, well I'm figuring NOT. Just back from a nice trip out west,high speed driving,construction zone trolling etc Sooo w/2875 on the clock I order everything online Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40w 3 cases Amazon K&N HP 2010. I pick up the oil filter wrench at local part store $5.95 for the factory filter ( may use Mopar one next time). Filter wrench makes it easy to take off Magilla Gorilla tighten filter. Used a 4.5gal. Oil tray(no splashing/spilling potential)

center=42.051577,-87.814348&zoom=14&markers=42.051577,-87.814348&size=400x300&sensor=true[/IMG]

Original filter oil ring was stuck to block(make sure you check). Oiled up new filter ring and added some oil to filter. Checked and tighten everything,added exactly 7qts of oil ( checked at 6qts ( fired it up and checked for leaks ZIP) all the way to 7qts. Dip stick registered at 3/4 in safe zone exactly as from factory I'll check again and decide if it needs a few more ounces (I added a couple ounces when new to bring it up to top of safety zone mark. No oil consumption to date.....) I feel better now having changed oil and filter. My 09 SRT Challenger with 12,500 miles has never been back to dealer. Just my oil changes (as it should be)

Red Suns 07-20-2013 04:46 PM

Re: First oil change

Hah, you went the same route as I did, Amazon, Pennzoil and K&N. I just cannot see 6000 miles on 0W-40 with the sheer amount of heat and compression these 392 Hemi engines put out.

And I can attest to what others have said, that factory oil filter was on there TIGHT and so was the drain plug! Be sure to also look for the oil filter gasket too as Jetcop stated as mine was stuck on the block too.

RAC88 07-20-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Suns (Post 861801)
Hah, you went the same route as I did, Amazon, Pennzoil and K&N. I just cannot see 6000 miles on 0W-40 with the sheer amount of heat and compression these 392 Hemi engines put out.

And I can attest to what others have said, that factory oil filter was on there TIGHT and so was the drain plug! Be sure to also look for the oil filter gasket too as Jetcop stated as mine was stuck on the block too.

What was your total cost out of curiosity?

Red Suns 07-20-2013 06:11 PM

Approx $82 give or take, shipped to my door and after tax (WA state).

mrmaker 07-21-2013 08:10 AM

Penzoil have pulled out of the Australian market for some reason, i am going to ask my mechanic if can source some, but i doubt i will have any luck. What other oils do you guys in the US recommended/suggest?
Thanks

Schleprock 07-21-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Suns (Post 861801)
I just cannot see 6000 miles on 0W-40 with the sheer amount of heat and compression these 392 Hemi engines put out.

I agree, you can probably do 7500 to 8000.

Red Suns 07-21-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaker (Post 862072)
Penzoil have pulled out of the Australian market for some reason, i am going to ask my mechanic if can source some, but i doubt i will have any luck. What other oils do you guys in the US recommended/suggest?
Thanks

I would recommend either Mobile 1 or Royal Purple.

I've read MANY threads and posts on Pennzoil Ultra vs Mobil 1 vs Royal Purple on various Challenger SRT and oil discussion forums. I've read the Blackstone Lab oil quality/findings reports. A lot of negligible animosity and opinion against Royal Purple IMO but the bottom line is that all three are great oils.

I've also been intrigued by the "Hemi tick" threads in perceived correlation to different engine oil brands and/or weights. So I have been keeping an eye open on this particular subject to see if the "increased moly" in the relatively new formulation of Pennzoil's 0W-40 may have been an unpublished attempt to address that issue.

Just for kicks have you asked/tried to price/order a 5 gal unit of Pennzoil 0W-40 Ultra from the Chrysler dealership? I'm not very familiar with trade laws so I apologize in advance if that was a silly question.

Red Suns 07-21-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 862103)
I agree, you can probably do 7500 to 8000.

Sorry if I may have not been clear in my earlier post, but I intended to convey was that I felt 6000 miles was a bit optimistic in terms if oil longevity. ;)

I've also read the many many posts and pissing contests on Amsoil and the super long oil change intervals and other related topics of that sort.

I like a few others look at oil change intervals like cheap preventative maintenance. It's not necessarily a required thing to do, but if it makes you feel better and you can afford it, I say just do it for peace of mind.

Artofnoize 07-21-2013 12:22 PM

I'm sure you probably can wait that long with the Ultra, but to me changing the oil and filter on a regular basis is still cheap maintenance. Bottom line is it's your vehicle, you maintain it like you want. Just my opinion...

Schleprock 07-21-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Suns (Post 862122)
Sorry if I may have not been clear in my earlier post, but I intended to convey was that I felt 6000 miles was a bit optimistic in terms if oil longevity. ;)

I've also read the many many posts and pissing contests on Amsoil and the super long oil change intervals and other related topics of that sort.

I like a few others look at oil change intervals like cheap preventative maintenance. It's not necessarily a required thing to do, but if it makes you feel better and you can afford it, I say just do it for peace of mind.

I know what you were conveying, and I was stating the opposite on purpose.

If you use synthetic, and change it less than 6,000 miles, or even 7,000, you are wasting your money on synthetic. Just use regular oil and cut your oil cost in half if you are going to change it less.

I've been around high HP cars for a while, many V8, and seen countless Blackstone Lab analyses on forums that show oil protection is still completely safe at these levels. This is even with turbo'd and SC'd vehicles. The one thing nice about Blackstone is that they keep your info historically, compare your analyses, and even give great feedback and jovial candor in their hand typed write up they do for each analyses. I know of instances with LS2's where they were even able to provide input on potential engine troubles currently occurring that were not known, or on the horizon.

geox19 07-21-2013 03:06 PM

I'll be doing my first oil change in a another 2k miles I want to install the drain valve I picked up at the same time. How should I go about jacking her up since she has the QL I'm not sure it's safe to just put it in offroad 2 lvl and crawl under there? I ask this because I've noticed at times when I have the Jeep parked and off the QL is still working and lowering itself or some crap.

Also when you put oil in the filter is that part of the 7 quarts or extra?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

gcgms 07-23-2013 12:08 AM

i'm another sucker who changes oil to soon but as r/suns & a/noise if it makes you feel good do it, it really is cheap security in my mind some of my first clunkers bought 10th hand had sludge yuk!

Now i just need to trade up from a WJ to a SRT!