Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   I see what people mean by a misaligned hatch..... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/i-see-what-people-mean-by-a-misaligned-hatch-63040.html)

JWS360 07-19-2013 03:43 PM

I see what people mean by a misaligned hatch.....

So, I was at another dealer today for a test drive & looked at the rear hatch.

Sure enough, the gaps around the rear taillight area was not uniform, not were the lenses on the hatch flush with those on the vehicle body. On the left side the outer body lens stood proud about 1/8", while they were close to flush on the right. On the right, however, they did not match up as well on the hop horizontal edges!

I recall reading threads on this. Is this a common problem? If so, is it something the dealer can remedy? It is indeed unfortunate that such quality issues slipped by. Saw the same thing on a few others as well. Makes me nervous.

BobsWK2 07-19-2013 07:13 PM

Re: I see what people mean by a misaligned hatch.....

It's a common problem on the 2014's. That's all I'll say.

tony4311 07-19-2013 07:15 PM

I was hoping they'd have this sorted out by the time they built mine but nope. Built on the 11th, picked up yesterday and it's off. I'm not sweating it really though as I got the lifetime warranty. The gap on the left side isn't huge, in fact it's what I'd expect to see between body panels when they move and are quite heavy. The passenger side however is VERY close. Enough that if it was a manual closing door I'd be more concerned about it. As it stands now I'll just have the dealership note it in the computer next time I'm there so it's on record in case anything comes from it. I'd imagine there will be a service bulletin about it some day.

hemi15 07-19-2013 07:52 PM

Mine had the problem, it was rubbing to the right side, dealer fixed it.

Aiyer 07-19-2013 09:19 PM

Perhaps it is cheaper to fix it as a warranty issue (I mean, how many owners actually notice this to take it to the dealer?) than readjust the tools/robots, etc at the assembly line. Adjusting at factory could mean production stop or some downtime which could cost more to CJF. It is not a safety issue, so why bother is what they are thinking.

That's my thought. Luckily for me, the rear hatch on mine seems fine.

Cheers,
-S

vnbWK2 07-19-2013 09:31 PM

Anyone have pics to show the misalignment? Mine is slightly off but not bad At all.Guess I would like to compare.

GCL2014 07-20-2013 09:00 AM

Mine is shifted slightly to the left. I don't have a pic to post, but if you look at the Jeep from the back, it is easy to spot. Will tell dealer to fix when I bring it in next week.

BobsWK2 07-20-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 861442)
Perhaps it is cheaper to fix it as a warranty issue (I mean, how many owners actually notice this to take it to the dealer?) than readjust the tools/robots, etc at the assembly line. Adjusting at factory could mean production stop or some downtime which could cost more to CJF. It is not a safety issue, so why bother is what they are thinking.

That's my thought. Luckily for me, the rear hatch on mine seems fine.

Cheers,
-S

IF and its only an if, this is the attitude Chrysler takes about poor quality control, then it won't be long before they are begging for a bailout again. And next time they won't be so lucky.

JWS360 07-21-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 861892)
IF and its only an if, this is the attitude Chrysler takes about poor quality control, then it won't be long before they are begging for a bailout again. And next time they won't be so lucky.

Yup, exactly. Happened to be at an event in the area this weekend & saw 2 2014 JGC's in the parking lot. Both had completely misaligned rear hatches. On both the right hatch taillight was within 2mm of rubbing the adjoining body mounted taillight, while the left gap was WAY wider. Neither was all that well aligned in the horizontal plane.

Most interestingly, I happened to walk by as the owner of one was walking by & asked him how he liked it. Much to my surprise he told me that he likes this one, which was recently given him as a replacement for a far more troubled one bought 4 months ago or so. Made me wonder. In any event, I later saw another 2014 in a supermarket lot & observed the same poor fitting.

This is basic quality control and we aren't in 1969. All the other players have stepped up their games. The Jeep has great engineering and enormous potential. Basic fit & finish should not be an issue.

Scottina06 07-21-2013 02:12 PM

Hmmmm....just looked at 20+ wk2's at freedom dodge jeep in lexington ky and NONE had a misaligned hatch.

JWS360 07-21-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 862202)
Hmmmm....just looked at 20+ wk2's at freedom dodge jeep in lexington ky and NONE had a misaligned hatch.

That would indeed be good if they have remedied the problem. I saw it on at least 3 or 4 at a local dealer. Perhaps these were earlier production units. Fixing a problem shows someone cares.

tony4311 07-21-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWS360 (Post 862318)
That would indeed be good if they have remedied the problem. I saw it on at least 3 or 4 at a local dealer. Perhaps these were earlier production units. Fixing a problem shows someone cares.

Mine was just built on the 11th of this month and has the issue...