Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Push button start/remote (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/push-button-start-remote-63043.html)

Gman 07-19-2013 04:38 PM

Push button start/remote

I am wondering if anyone has issues with their key fob batteries going "dead" every 5-6 months or so.
I have a 2011 GC Laredo x with the push button start system. Ever since I had this Jeep (love it) i have to replace the batteries in my key fob about twice a year. I have tried everything: not keeping key fob in my pockets, not using key fob to lock or open or remote start the car. However the battery just dies on me. I have tried different types, but it makes no difference.
Anyone else has issues with this, any suggestions?

Thanks

G.

AAAA 07-20-2013 11:14 AM

Re: Push button start/remote

No. Mine lasted over 2 years. Have both your fob's batteries died that quickly? Oh, definitely do not try battery type other than the one specified.

Gman 07-20-2013 04:07 PM

Thanks AAAA. Yes, both of the fobs batteries go dead around the same time. The other one is hardly used (my wife has it, once a while she drives the Jeep). I have replaced the original battery now with the same type from Panasonic, Duracell and a no name one, no difference, all I get is about 6 months. Some one told me that my key fobs might be to close to the car and they "talk" to each other. Thus the dead battery. I don't really believe that. So I am clueless as to what is going on.

jerryw1000 07-20-2013 08:37 PM

When I first got my '11 I had several instances of "No FOB Detected". Just for grins I put a new Duracell in it and I bent the contacts just a little to have more pressure on the battery and all of my problems stopped. Now I try to remember to put in a new battery once a year or so just to be safe but I've never had a dead FOB battery.

When we picked up our '14 we were staying in a campground at a nearby lake. As soon as we parked it next to our '11, neither of them would unlock with the FOBs. We had to get the key out of the FOBs to unlock the doors on both. Once you got in the vehicles the push button Start would work okay. Just could not unlock the doors with the FOB, neither by touching the door handle nor by pushing the unlock button on the FOB. I thought the two systems were interfering with each other. But, we could drive both vehicles up to the local service station and park them side by side and everything worked fine. When we would go back to the campground, neither would work. Two days later, the motorhome across the street from us pulled out and everything started working on both vehicles. Never had a problem again. I think the folks in the motorhome had a wireless router or cellular amplifier that was interfering with the sensors.

AAAA 07-21-2013 12:15 PM

My key and wife's (she has driven the Jeep only once) hang on a key/mail holder in our laundry room off the garage. I would imagine they are 15 feet from my Jeep.

Gman 07-23-2013 03:04 PM

Thanks

Gman 07-23-2013 03:09 PM

Thanks guys for tips and your observations. If my Jeep is parked in the garage the key fob is about 10' away, if out on driveway then about 25' or so. I personally do not believe that the fob and the car "talk" unless you are right next to the Jeep or inside of it.
Anyhow, next battery will be from dealer, see if they last any longer.