Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Are our jeeps crossovers? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/are-our-jeeps-crossovers-63093.html)

greenwayer 07-20-2013 09:33 PM

Are our jeeps crossovers?

Today someone referred to my wk as a crossover, and I was sort of offended. I have always thought it to be a truck, or an suv at the least. Isn't a cross over something between a van and an suv like the bmw x6? What do you guys think?

zeprider25 07-21-2013 01:10 AM

Re: Are our jeeps crossovers?

a crossover is a small suv on a car/sedan frame. What car shares the same frame as a grand cherokee?

My wife's patriot is a crossover. Shares it's frame with a mitsubishi lancer and dodge caliber.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-21-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeprider25 (Post 862005)
a crossover is a small suv on a car/sedan frame. What car shares the same frame as a grand cherokee?

My wife's patriot is a crossover. Shares it's frame with a mitsubishi lancer and dodge caliber.

^this.... crossovers are made to drive like a car

GenevaSRT8 07-21-2013 01:40 AM

I would add that crossovers are never fitted with a transfer box. If it has low-range gears, it is a truck or SUV, not a crossover.

AbleRiot 07-21-2013 05:55 AM

My understanding is that crossovers also have "sedan-based" platforms. So, JGC is not BUT the new MY14 Jeep Cherokee IS a crossover. And I agree with the transfercase and low gears.

bill_de 07-21-2013 06:03 AM

To some, once you take it off a frame and switch to unibody it is no longer a truck. I see plenty of references to Jeeps as cars. After all, it has wussy, computer controlled 4 wheel drive. :)

I just call it a Jeep. I don't understand being offended by what somebody calls my vehicle. :confused:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
---

greenwayer 07-21-2013 11:47 AM

The internet seems to define a crossover as a vehicle that sits like a truck but has a unibody frame. Crossover is such a tacky term, it always reminds me of ugly vehicles like the x6 and the new Cherokee.

Scottina06 07-21-2013 12:13 PM

the Grand Cherokee has ALWAYS been built on a unibody frame....did anyone consider the zj, wj as a crossover. Crossover is a new term for the chevys, fords and gay ass Korean cars......

geox19 07-21-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 862140)
the Grand Cherokee has ALWAYS been built on a unibody frame....did anyone consider the zj, wj as a crossover. Crossover is a new term for the chevys, fords and gay ass Korean cars......

The gay ass Korean cars part made me lol not just that they are Korean but gay as well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bill_de 07-21-2013 12:45 PM

A real SUV has a flipper glass! :p

---

Scottina06 07-21-2013 01:29 PM

LOL....I don't get the whole flipper glass thing. I had an 06 and 13 with the flipper and an 11 and 14 without. never missed it. Kinda 80's imho...especially with the power liftgate that I just need to hit a button.....LOL

bill_de 07-21-2013 01:37 PM

For one thing, lumber that is too long to go inside now has to go on the roof. With the flipper glass it could go in on an angle and wouldn't even have to be tied down. The "U" in utility.

Same thing out on the beach. Without any special rod racks, you can stick a long fishing rod in through the flipper when you want to run down the beach a bit. The "S" in sport.

The Jeep does still fulfil the requirements of "V" as it is a vehicle. :D

---