Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Curious Logic to Automatic Door Locks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/curious-logic-to-automatic-door-locks-63129.html)

glassmtn 07-21-2013 05:26 PM

Curious Logic to Automatic Door Locks

I have a 2013 GC Limited with the V6 engine. I absolutely love it. I am curious about the logic for the automatic door locks. What I mean by that is I would like to know exactly what combination of factors triggers the auto door locking mechanism. It doesn't seem to be any single item such as speed, distance, or time as the door locks trigger with no pattern I can discern. Can any one explain exactly what combination of factors trigger the door locks?

thanks,
eric.

2012 Summit 07-21-2013 05:48 PM

Re: Curious Logic to Automatic Door Locks

From the 2012 owners manual. Your luck may vary.

Automatic Door Locks — If Equipped

When enabled, the door locks will lock automatically
when the vehicle’s speed exceeds 15 mph (24 km/h). The
auto door lock feature can be enabled or disabled by your
authorized dealer per written request of the customer.
Please see your authorized dealer for service.

mceb 07-21-2013 05:48 PM

I thought it was reaching a certain speed.

glassmtn 07-21-2013 06:32 PM

Thanks for the response. I am pretty sure that I have exceeded 15mph without triggering the door locking mechanism. Perhaps I am mistaken. I will start paying more attention to my speed and the locks. Thanks again.

eric.

Tony407 07-21-2013 06:46 PM

Mine almost always locks at 15 mph. There has been at least once or twice where they did not lock at that speed after I backed out of my driveway and then started down the road. After the first stop sign I came to, they locked once I sped back up and crossed the speed threshold.

Tony

jacko15 07-21-2013 07:40 PM

This is one thing I never really cared for with either Jeep I own. I like the GM settings where you can select the doors to lock when the car is shifted out of park, and unlock when you shift into park.

ChrisOC 07-21-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 862361)
This is one thing I never really cared for with either Jeep I own. I like the GM settings where you can select the doors to lock when the car is shifted out of park, and unlock when you shift into park.

I like the way mine work. Just my two cents. Also it always works at 15 mph, well I have never noticed them not to work.

willjeep 07-21-2013 10:12 PM

The auto door locks on my 2005 always worked, not sure of the speed. More than a few times when i had short sleeves on, my arm out the window it pinched my arm good. What a pita, hated that.

carbontax 07-21-2013 10:35 PM

I got this option enabled from the dealer. I have 2013 Laredo. However once enabled there is no option in EVIC to turn auto door locks ON/OFF. I read that this is a option on Overland EVIC to turn Auto Door Lock option ON/OFF.

I live in area with lot of road rage therefore this feature is very useful when people get out and kick your door panels.

glassmtn 07-21-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

I got this option enabled from the dealer. I have 2013 Laredo. However once enabled there is no option in EVIC to turn auto door locks ON/OFF. I read that this is a option on Overland EVIC to turn Auto Door Lock option ON/OFF.
I believe on my 2013 Limited, I can enable or disable the auto locks through the EVIC. I like the function, but I was just curious when the locks triggered. I will pay strict attention to my speed until I can clarify when my locks engage.

eric.

ChrisOC 07-22-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbontax (Post 862461)

I live in area with lot of road rage therefore this feature is very useful when people get out and kick your door panels.

Just curious but where do u live where there is a lot of road rage.

BobsWK2 07-22-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 862361)

Not me, I prefer the Chrysler and other manufacturers that do it this way.