Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Trail Rated Summit

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hayseed_wk2 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all,

So my Summit is D1, estimated for delivery on August 14 (playing "Where's My Jeep" with MOTS and VOTS is maddening!). I picked the Summit because I travel A LOT with my job (geology), and 90% of the travel is on-road so I wanted the creature comforts and tech.

However 10% of the travel is off-road, and can get rough. I dig the Quadra-Drive and the adjustable suspension, but I want to protect the vehicle as much as I can.

What are the qualifications for a Trail Rated rig? Is it just that the Summit is missing 18" wheels and skid plates? Those would be easy enough to order in and have installed when I take delivery. I certainly wouldn't object having a Trail Rated badge on the side too :)

Beyond that, any thoughts on rock rails that would protect the body and not significantly reduced ground clearance? Any other aftermarket additions you would recommend? I'm just trying to smartly get the best of both worlds, on and off road.

#3 · (Edited)
You would be 1% wrong (which is still wrong). Any 4x4 Jeep can probably handle most modest trails, but that doesn't make it "trail rated". There are 5 catagories that make a Jeep trail rated.

18" wheels, skid plates (and possible recovery hooks) are needed to be trail rated in the eyes of Jeep. I would suggest adding the skid plates and you could consider the 18" wheels depending on how much you think you will need them. The recovery hooks can be mounted on a Summit but you will need to cut the grill area which usually doesn't look very nice.

Explore Jeep Capabilities | Trail Rated | Jeep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.