Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Sunroof seal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/sunroof-seal-63172.html)

vnbWK2 07-22-2013 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can you guys do me a favor and check your sunroof seal? I was just rechecking my sunroof re-alignment on my 2014 Limited that my dealership did for me last week and as I was just looking at the seal around the sunroof (regular sunroof) while it was in the VENT position I noticed a cut in the seal on the passenger side. Not sure if this was there before. It's either normal where the factory had to size/cut the seal to length or whoever worked on my Jeep at the dealership accidentally cut it. I'm hoping it's normal. Here is a pic. Mine happens to be on the passenger side almost in the middle. Please post yours. Thanks.

2014GC 07-22-2013 07:48 PM

Re: Sunroof seal

I checked mine as I had an adjustment done. The seal on mine is one piece. The seal has to be one piece to seal properly.

vnbWK2 07-22-2013 08:33 PM

Well that's just f'n great! Another call to the dealership. WTF! Thanks for checking yours. I can't imagine how/why this happened.

Scottina06 07-22-2013 09:23 PM

that wasn't cut at the dealer. That's a perfect cut all the way through. I don't think this jeep is gonna satisfy you bro IMHO.....LOL. That took some effort to find that....Im 6'6" and I couldn't have found that without an 8 ft ladder or standing on the seat with the roof open....LOL

vnbWK2 07-22-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 863050)
that wasn't cut at the dealer. That's a perfect cut all the way through. I don't think this jeep is gonna satisfy you bro IMHO.....LOL. That took some effort to find that....Im 6'6" and I couldn't have found that without an 8 ft ladder or standing on the seat with the roof open....LOL

I thought the same thing. It's such a straight cut I thought how could the dealer have done this? You think they tried removing/reinstalling the seal as part of the realignment they did or it came like this straight from the factory? Like i said, I don't know if the cut was there prior to when I had my dealer realign the sunroof last week. This is my first vehicle I've had with a sunroof so I guess I'm just concerned with water passing this cut. So if you're sayng the dealer didn't do this then who? I can't imagine that the cut is supposed to be there.

vnbWK2 07-23-2013 05:04 AM

Can anyone else check yours really good to see if you have a split/cut in the seal? I'm now thinking it was like this from delivery but I never noticed it.

AAAA 07-23-2013 09:01 AM

R-E-L-A-X, mine is the same. Passenger side, forward of middle. 36,000 miles in all weather and no leaks.

jp467 07-23-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnbWK2 (Post 863019)
Well that's just f'n great! Another call to the dealership. WTF! Thanks for checking yours. I can't imagine how/why this happened.

That's look's like a perfect cut so I'm thinking its normal. If it's not leaking I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to start having problems have them start tearing things apart.

acilate 07-23-2013 09:48 PM

if you do go to the dealer, check it out on a couple other GCs on the lot.

ernestd 07-24-2013 02:27 PM

My sunroof seal is solid all around.

berk483 07-26-2013 07:53 AM

First, that does look like a factory cut in the seal...it's too perfect.

Second, have we all forgotten that these sunroofs will never have a perfect seal and that is why they ALL have drains in the corners. So that little bit of water that does make it past that tiny cut can safely drain down an A-pillar or wherever they route the drain tube. Now if you had a sunroof that wasn't closing all the way and was allowing a larger volume of water through that the drains could not handle then you would have a problem.

IMHO I would leave it be and try to not involve the dealer.

I'm almost positive that I have a cut like that in mine and I know Ive seen something just like that in the last car I had with a sunroof.

vnbWK2 07-26-2013 08:21 AM

I have decided not to involve the dealer and just leave it as is since I do agree it was there already. I guess I was overly concerned since I've never had a sunroof before. Thanks for all your comments.