Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What do you guys think? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/what-do-you-guys-think-63193.html)

Chunderboy 07-23-2013 08:18 AM

What do you guys think?

So, I am starting to look around for tire/wheel combo's that I think will represent the WK2 in a positive light and I came across these on the forum. Does anyone know about the fitment of these and how they look on a Jeep? Also, I am a little confused about what an "offset" is? I want to limit the amount that they stick out over the wheel wells but want an aggressive look (also going to put the front level kit on there too).

So, interested in opinions: want a black rim, aggressive tire that doesn't stick out too far from the fender and an fill the wheel well without rubbing.

So, any and all ideas are appreciated.

Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial Tire on 51 Series Steel Wheel Qty 4 for 2013 Jeep® Vehicles with 5x5 Bolt Pattern - Quadratec

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-7036-7983

let me also say that I don't really plan on doing any real off roading, just mostly for aesthetics and to make my friends with their nancy RX350 and X3 cry a little. (even without the leather seats which will be installed soon too, they loved the rig)

Chunderboy 07-25-2013 09:31 AM

Re: What do you guys think?

No help from the brothers?

bill_de 07-25-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 863222)
So, I am starting to look around for tire/wheel combo's that I think will represent the WK2 in a positive light and I came across these on the forum. Does anyone know about the fitment of these and how they look on a Jeep? Also, I am a little confused about what an "offset" is? I want to limit the amount that they stick out over the wheel wells but want an aggressive look (also going to put the front level kit on there too).

So, interested in opinions: want a black rim, aggressive tire that doesn't stick out too far from the fender and an fill the wheel well without rubbing.

So, any and all ideas are appreciated.

Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial Tire on 51 Series Steel Wheel Qty 4 for 2013 Jeep® Vehicles with 5x5 Bolt Pattern - Quadratec

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-7036-7983

let me also say that I don't really plan on doing any real off roading, just mostly for aesthetics and to make my friends with their nancy RX350 and X3 cry a little. (even without the leather seats which will be installed soon too, they loved the rig)

I think it is silly to put tires like that on a vehicle that is staying on road. They will not ride as well and will be noisy. And, while it may make you feel aggressive, few others will be impressed.

If you want an aggressive image, get a tattoo (or real) scar from your left eye to your chin, and start picking fights with bikers. :slapfight:

When you ask twice for opinions you are going to get some you may not like. :lol:

Whatever you decide, enjoy your Jeep. :thumbsup:

---

Chunderboy 07-25-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 864467)
I think it is silly to put tires like that on a vehicle that is staying on road. They will not ride as well and will be noisy. And, while it may make you feel aggressive, few others will be impressed.

If you want an aggressive image, get a tattoo (or real) scar from your left eye to your chin, and start picking fights with bikers. :slapfight:

When you ask twice for opinions you are going to get some you may not like. :lol:

Whatever you decide, enjoy your Jeep. :thumbsup:

---

LOL. I concede your point and as for the "asking twice for an opinion"...true. I wasn't so much interested in the tire as I am in the wheel. I like the solid look and would put grapplers on it or something, but certainly not those meaty offroad tires. Slightly misleading on my end to include them in my post, but want something a little more aggressive.

Man, I bet you'd be a hoot to get a drink with. :ot:

Radknight 08-02-2013 08:44 PM

Looks great. A lot of guys are ditching the silver or chrome for blacked out rims. Gives the darker colored GC's a Darth Vader look and if you paint the brake caliper, it looks pretty sick as you're cruising down the highway and only see the brake caliper because the wheels are obscured.

I don't know if you are looking at getting this particular rim. They 'look' rock solid but seem a bit too 'inexpensive' even if you don't plan to take it off road. I've had my experience with cheap rims after hitting something hard on the road but ended up changing all the rims out for something tougher and more expensve because, at the time, it was cheaper to replace the rim than fix it and also because I couldn't find the manufacturer anywhere to TRY to replace it.

Off the subject but one of my pet peaves is when dealerships try to whack cheap aftermarket tire/rim combos on a new ride FOR THE SAKE OF LOOKS that end up being worse than stock and the no-name tires don't last or perform as good as the OEM. They should know better. I'm sure lots of guys fall for it because they haven't done their research but the dealership ends up making huge profit off of it.

Chunderboy 08-05-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radknight (Post 869031)
Looks great. A lot of guys are ditching the silver or chrome for blacked out rims. Gives the darker colored GC's a Darth Vader look and if you paint the brake caliper, it looks pretty sick as you're cruising down the highway and only see the brake caliper because the wheels are obscured.

I don't know if you are looking at getting this particular rim. They 'look' rock solid but seem a bit too 'inexpensive' even if you don't plan to take it off road. I've had my experience with cheap rims after hitting something hard on the road but ended up changing all the rims out for something tougher and more expensve because, at the time, it was cheaper to replace the rim than fix it and also because I couldn't find the manufacturer anywhere to TRY to replace it.

Off the subject but one of my pet peaves is when dealerships try to whack cheap aftermarket tire/rim combos on a new ride FOR THE SAKE OF LOOKS that end up being worse than stock and the no-name tires don't last or perform as good as the OEM. They should know better. I'm sure lots of guys fall for it because they haven't done their research but the dealership ends up making huge profit off of it.

Def agree on a bunch of your points, but when it comes to the solidness of these rims, they are damn good. Read a bunch of reviews and a few guys on here have them and offroad with them too (youtube search wk2 and you'll see Big50). Just gotta pony up for the tires and spacers and we're all good!

Radknight 08-05-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 869965)
Def agree on a bunch of your points, but when it comes to the solidness of these rims, they are damn good. Read a bunch of reviews and a few guys on here have them and offroad with them too (youtube search wk2 and you'll see Big50). Just gotta pony up for the tires and spacers and we're all good!

If that's the case, cool. Great price (compared to Aussie prices). Hard not to pass that up.:thumbsup: I replaced my no-name cheapies with American Racing Silver Outlaws back in the early '90's. Can't believe how cheap they are now. They seemed to cost me a fortune back then. I don't know If I'd recommend them now as they aren't slotted for brake cooling and you have to take the rim off to see the brake & rotor condition. They looked awesome on a fully blacked out 4Runner though.

GCLimited 08-06-2013 07:52 AM

Don't forget to purchase a tacky Tap Out cap and T-shirt to go with those wheels...

http://www.mmafightwear.net/uploads/...1213021168.jpg

:D

Chunderboy 08-06-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 870531)
Don't forget to purchase a tacky Tap Out cap and T-shirt to go with those wheels...

http://www.mmafightwear.net/uploads/...1213021168.jpg

:D

Not really following you. So, in your eyes tacky trendy outerwear is similar to black steel wheels, or at the very least the same person who would buy black wheels would wear affliction gear?

You strike me as the kind of person that would wear a compression sleeve to go to the gym. But hey, thanks for your input.

jd31 08-06-2013 11:02 AM

Which year and model is your Jeep? Just curious.

Most people will probably be against the aggressive look of the rims and tires since the WK2 leans towards a luxury SUV, especially the limited and higher models. For example, you probably wouldn't see these rims on an Audi Q5/7.

I think the Altitude look is a nice 'in between'. It's rugged looking but keeps with the integrity of the WK2 look. There are a lot of variations of the Altitude look that you could play with, but if I modify my WK2, it'll probably be more in line with this type of appearance (blacked out 20" wheels).

That aside, from what I recall Pro Comp wheels are solid. I almost purchased a set for my 4Runner (offroad), and from the reading I did no complaints from users.

Chunderboy 08-06-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd31 (Post 870627)
Which year and model is your Jeep? Just curious.

Most people will probably be against the aggressive look of the rims and tires since the WK2 leans towards a luxury SUV, especially the limited and higher models. For example, you probably wouldn't see these rims on an Audi Q5/7.

I think the Altitude look is a nice 'in between'. It's rugged looking but keeps with the integrity of the WK2 look. There are a lot of variations of the Altitude look that you could play with, but if I modify my WK2, it'll probably be more in line with this type of appearance (blacked out 20" wheels).

That aside, from what I recall Pro Comp wheels are solid. I almost purchased a set for my 4Runner (offroad), and from the reading I did no complaints from users.

I have the 2013 E group laredo. Did the nav upgrade and will also do the ATC, leather and tint. The 7036 pro comp wheels just look right to me, but as for the rubber, I would lean more towards a pair of BFG's for a little more rugged look without sacrificing ride quality. Also, i should preface this by saying its purely for looks and don't really intend on taking her off roading.

GCLimited 08-06-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 870563)

Not really following you. So, in your eyes tacky trendy outerwear is similar to black steel wheels, or at the very least the same person who would buy black wheels would wear affliction gear?

You strike me as the kind of person that would wear a compression sleeve to go to the gym. But hey, thanks for your input.

Relax Sparky...it was a joke (hence the smilie face). Word of advice...don't ask for opinions if you get butt hurt so easy.

:rolleyes:

I thought "Tacky" was a fitting theme here after reading your original statement:

"let me also say that I don't really plan on doing any real off roading, just mostly for aesthetics and to make my friends with their nancy RX350 and X3 cry a little."

Kinda like all the posers who wear Tap Out gear.