Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

And so it continues...

60K views 473 replies 65 participants last post by  jp467 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying, if you are happy with your Jeep, that is awesome! I am not trying to bring down happy people, so stop reading, get out there, enjoy your jeep :D

Now, about my Jeep:
In other threads, I posted about my 2014 JGC limited I bought in April. I won't rehash all that happened, but lets leave it at: 4 trips to the shop, over 45 days being repaired, and Chrysler finally recently got me out of that vehicle.

So I got a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Picked it up a week ago. Put about 500 miles on it already. Damn impressive vehicle.

Driving to work today: about a mile away from my house, and I start hearing a faint horn... then I realize it is my jeep. Then the rear windshield wipers start going, on their own. The horn gets louder, and I lose power steering. I pulled over. The check engine light came on, and an oil pressure low warning came on. Then a service air suspension warning came on. Then it cycled through a few more service messages, quickly. All while my horn is blasting. In a residential neighborhood.

I turned the car off. The car restarted. Horn still going. Wipers still going. Hit the button again. Car seems like it is off. Get out.... horn starts blairing, car starts up. WTF?

This older women comes running out of her house, thinking I am in trouble cause I am laying on the horn so much. I can't get the damn thing to stop.

The horn then got quieter... still going, but now more intermittent and nowhere near as loud. Every time the noise starts, the back wiper starts going, but it is stuttering, not going smoothly.

This went on for about an hour as I waited for the tow truck. After about 40 minutes, I get the car to shut off and actually remain off. My poor neighbors.

I have a short 30 second clip of it acting up... it's on my iphone though, so I have to fiddle around to figure out how to post that video here, if anyone is interested. The Service manager was in disbelief when i showed him.

I am in a dodge journey now, and the dealer has my new jeep. I kinda feel like a fool for going back to jeep, after all the issues I had over the last three months.

See less See more
#5 ·
No Incentive. The basically said they would move it along quickly and buy back the limited if I agreed to stick with a Chrysler product. I did not want to deal with lawyers, and the length of time it would take to clear it all up, so I agreed. I just wanted it over with.

I did not get any breaks on the overland, I just negotiated with the dealer like I would have on any new car. I am part of the affiliate program, so I got that discount, but it was unrelated to my troubles.

#6 · (Edited)
Wow that seriously sucks ass. Sorry to hear about the BS you been going through. If I went through all the same stuff you went through with your first vehicle and now your second I would be turning that shit in and moving on to another manufacturer not like you can't find a nice vehicle in your price range. Are you stuck with Chrysler now Paper work wise some sort of fine print?

#11 ·
Quick update:

Talked to Chrysler customer care, and they seemed very sympathetic... they said they would call the dealer, and try to get to the bottom of this.

Then I got a call from the dealer... I have a cracked sunroof drain, which was emptying the water right into the computer.

They say it will take a few days to get the new drain. I need to call them back though, cause I can't imagine the computer is fine and dandy after that...

#20 ·
I think the main computer is located right under the driver's seat, but there are so many CPU-operated devices in the car, it could be somewhere else. If it is the one under the driver's seat, I can't imagine how the sunroof drain would be rigged to go anywhere near it! Maybe it just leaked down on the driver's seat before you got the vehicle and you haven't had it sitting out in the rain since then. I also wouldn't doubt the ground problem that was mentioned before. That has apparently hit quite a few of the new Jeeps.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...7,000 miles and zero problems on my 2014 Overland...but then again it hasn't rained much here in Northern California since I got it in April!

#23 ·
yes -- drain over the computer - similar to building data centers in basements - under water pipes overhead - and subject to flooding.. Interesting -- I couldn't help but chuckle at your possessed jeep. I wonder - given the track record of Chrysler - how these cars will hold up over time... :) maybe 2 or 3 years and done?

#25 ·
I was wondering the same thing how long they will hold up but then I realized that the SUV with a good reputation for quality I just sold didn't have a problem until it's warranty was up and those problems weren't cheap to fix so pick your poison I guess it's just the luck of the draw

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

#27 · (Edited)
I hope their right about the computer being okay. I would hate to see you go through more crap and weirdness. Who's saying the computer will be fine Chrysler or the dealer? I'd give Chrysler a call if you haven't already. Make sure to block your phone number Chrysler may already have you on the do not answer call list :)

#31 ·
Mine is a March build and i have had it since April and it has seen a lot of rain up here in the Northeast! It was parked and driven through some crazy downpours. At one point it rained almost non-stop for a good 3-4 days. We had a lot of rain this year. No water issues.

What are the chances you get two Jeeps with problems?! I Hope this was a one time thing and gets resolved.

#33 ·
I had purchased a 2010 patriot for my daughter. I did not want it but...It began to leak from the overhead console Drip then more especially when parked in NYC

Brought it back 8 times replaced gaskets drialns drails clogged you name it Different dealers tried and they all worked and ment well too

Long story short they never were able to fix it..car came off warentee and then had to get rid of it yes another jeep but no sunroof

Will an extended warentee cover a leaking sunroof if so be sure to protect yourself

I worked on lemmon law in NYS but because it was not mechanical a no go

I have a 2014 limited and want the tech pack but becaue of past sunroof prob had to stay away

#35 ·
Holy good mother of christ.... I just can't believe this... That video is just horrifying. Brings back REALLY bad memories of my first couple months with the Jeep... And here you are all over again with another vehicle you wonder if you can trust.

I guess you learn how to handle it because you have to, but I don't even know what I would do at this point. I think it's my greatest nightmare -- going through all this to get my vehicle bought back, and then to have something like this happen again.

Is your VIN in the 200K's? It's not another "early" build is it?

I think we'll be checking out a Terrain this weekend. Much as we want the Jeep, and much as I think we wouldn't have any issue with a new one, I don't think I could handle this. I really don't. Our Jeep has been reliable for a month now and just watching the video makes me remember how horrible it was having a vehicle you can't trust.

Jeez, I really hope that this is the only issue for you. But now you're on that eggshells thing again.

And Chrysler just calling the dealer kind of reinforces the notion that most of the power is in the dealer's hands.

You don't know how much I hope this gets fixed for you. No one should be in this club.

#37 ·
I think we'll be checking out a Terrain this weekend. Much as we want the Jeep, and much as I think we wouldn't have any issue with a new one, I don't think I could handle this. I really don't. Our Jeep has been reliable for a month now and just watching the video makes me remember how horrible it was having a vehicle you can't trust.

I hope you find something that works well for you. Have you checked out the 13 MDX's? they have a lot of incentives, to make room for the 14's...

As for me, I am not sure what to do now. If they give me back the Jeep without replacing anything other than the cracked drainage, then I am not going to trust it at all. Just doesn't seem right. Trying to call them now...

#41 ·
Talking about computers and rain and drain plugs made me reminisce about this incident long ago with the DIVAD "Sgt. York" Anti Aircraft vehicle.

In February 1982 the prototype was demonstrated for a group of US and British officers at Fort Bliss, along with members of Congress and other VIPs. When the computer was activated, it immediately started aiming the guns at the review stands, causing several minor injuries as members of the group jumped for cover. Technicians worked on the problem, and the system was restarted. This time it started shooting towards the target, but fired into the ground 300 m in front of the tank. In spite of several attempts to get it working properly, the vehicle never successfully engaged the sample targets. A Ford manager claimed that the problems were due to the vehicle being washed for the demonstration and fouling the electronics. In a report on the test, Easterbrook jokingly wondered if it ever rained in central Europe.
Nothing like a pair of 40mm auto cannons controlled by a remote ancestor of ED-209 swinging your way to get the blood pumping.

So, just some color commentary on the whole situation regarding water and computers in vehicles.

#43 ·
Talking about computers and rain and drain plugs made me reminisce about this incident long ago with the DIVAD "Sgt. York" Anti Aircraft vehicle.

Nothing like a pair of 40mm auto cannons controlled by a remote ancestor of ED-209 swinging your way to get the blood pumping.

So, just some color commentary on the whole situation regarding water and computers in vehicles.
Love it :) Note to self don't wash my Jeep so much.

#45 ·
So they replaced a drainage hose. Left the computer module alone. Told me they wanted to replace it, but Chrysler said no, it would be fine.

They test drove it for two miles, and the module shorted out.
They are now getting a new module and putting it in. Hopefully have it back to me early next week.

At least this time is had its issues while they still had it, rather than giving it back to me and letting me find the problems.

#46 ·
So they replaced a drainage hose. Left the computer module alone. Told me they wanted to replace it, but Chrysler said no, it would be fine.

They test drove it for two miles, and the module shorted out.
They are now getting a new module and putting it in. Hopefully have it back to me early next week.

At least this time is had its issues while they still had it, rather than giving it back to me and letting me find the problems.
At least they know what the problem is. It makes it a lot easier to get it fixed correctly. Hopefully they take care of you with an extended warranty or something. Is this a lease or a purchase?

#52 ·
FWIW, we now have your OPINION. The OP should drive every vehicle he's interested in to acquaint himself with each of them. Some people love Chevy's and hate Fords. Others, just the opposite. Some people hate Porsches and love Corvettes. Others, just the opposite. What you find terrible, the OP might find wonderful.

#54 ·
Concerns I have with the Terrain ( I have a 2013 equinox company vehicle) are mainly wind noise on the highway is terrible for the price and I am still seeing a lot of timing chains getting done in the 2.4s and 3.6s. Most are getting done under warranty but there are no exceptions when you roll past 100k so make sure you are aware.

They did a mid 2013 change in the radio hardware in the Equinox/Terrain and there are some Bluetooth phone book issues (if I sync my phone book, the phone stops working). There are also some random disconnects of USB audio with newer generation iPods) to date I have been told that GM spends more money on Bluetooth technology than anybody and that my problem is with my phone and or my iPod. Interesting how both worked in the other 2013 equinox I had earlier in the year!

Anyway, the timing chains are warranty, if you are not keeping the truck for 180k then it likely is not a big deal. The radio, you may want to test out with your stuff before buys though if it mattered to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.