Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   What will I lose with an after market head unit? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/what-will-i-lose-with-an-after-market-head-unit-63201.html)

jd31 07-23-2013 11:41 AM

What will I lose with an after market head unit?

I'm doing a complete audio overhaul and have decided it would be worthwhile to replace the head unit for sound fidelity reasons. My question is, what will I lose by going with an after market HU? I'll be buying a higher-end Kenwood, Apline, or Pioneer so it should be equipped with the latest features. I will also buy the adapters for steering wheel control, back up camera, voice commands/phone calls, etc.

Other than u connect (which I believe is a wash because I'll get the new features of the HU), am I losing any functionality?

chicagojeeper 07-23-2013 02:50 PM

You will lose the hands free controls and will have to place new microphone somewhere as there is no mirror adapter available that I'm aware of if your Jeep came equipped with that option. That's about it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jd31 07-23-2013 04:51 PM

Re: What will I lose with an after market head unit?

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't realize that about the microphone, thought there was an adapter. And I don't use the hands free controls today so I shouldn't miss it much. Appreciate the reply!

StaticFX 07-24-2013 08:18 AM

Which radio are you replacing??

What about climate controls, seat/wheel heat etc

kkreit01 07-24-2013 09:13 AM

Climate controls are separate.

Assuming you have the 430 or 730, you will also lose harddrive. I'd also like better sound, but for me, it isn't worth it to replace the OE HU. It would just be too costly, and the OE unit is too integrated. Don't get me wrong though, I despise the Alpine system. With a processor/summing device, amp, sub and speakers, you can achieve decent sound. It's also not easy though. You'd also need all those with an aftermarket deck as well (except for processor).

jd31 07-24-2013 10:36 AM

Sorry I should have added that I have a 430N HU currently.

My preference initially was to use the current HU but after reading someone's experience about the audio being 'night and day' with an aftermarket HU, I've been thinking about replacing the HU too. I'm planning a relatively higher end install and I figured I might as well do it right. The other option is, I could try it with the factory HU first to see how it sounds. If sub par then I could upgrade the HU; the only thing I'd be out is the cost of the lc6i and whatever I paid for them to install it.

Here's the system I'm planning:
Speakers:
- Rainbow Germanium 6.5" components up front
- Ditch the center dash speaker
- Lessor 6.5" coaxials in the rear (no tweet in the upper pillar)
Amp:
- either a JL HD600/4 and HD750/1 or...
- one JL HD900/5
Sup:
- custom built fiberglass enclosure with 12" Image Dynamics IDQ (or IDMAX if they can fit it). It'll be in the same spot as the factory 8".

If I could forgo the aftermarket head unit that would save me ~$1,650.

StaticFX 07-24-2013 10:49 AM

aahhh ok. I was thinking you had one of the new 2014 units. Yeah.. go for it! :)

I had the 430N RHB - and loved the sound.

jd31 07-24-2013 10:56 AM

Man my forum etiquette is horrible :). I keep forgetting vital pieces of information. I have 2013 Overland with the 430N head unit.

ChicagoJeeper, your comment about how integrated the HU is, is that in regards to the 2014 or any WK2 model?

chicagojeeper 07-24-2013 10:59 AM

I would believe it would apply to the 2014 as well. I can't speak from experience because mine is a "12". I'm sure pac audio will come up with something to integrate and retain oem functionality, but I'm not aware of any at this time.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

StaticFX 07-24-2013 11:25 AM

the 2014's have the climate controls integrated... not sure how that would work :)

eibyer 07-24-2013 12:32 PM

jd31, would love to see a pic of the custom fiber enclosure when it's done. Is it cheaper than a stealthbox?

jd31 07-24-2013 03:56 PM

I'll definitely post pictures when I'm done. As for cost, it's slightly more expensive than the stealth box (MSRP + install).

A local JL dealer quoted me $650 for the stealthbox plus install. The custom fiber enclosure will run ~$900 total which includes the custom enclosure, a 12" IDQ, and install. Plus the custom box will be made specifically with the sub's space requirements in mind. I've used Image Dynamics subs in the past (IDMAX) and like how they sound. Very SQ focused that is cable of good output.