Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 JGC Transmission Survey (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-jgc-transmission-survey-63250.html)

Willx 07-24-2013 08:51 AM

2014 JGC Transmission Survey

I have decided to post a little poll to get an idea of how everyone feels about the new 8 speed transmissions. I have tried to give enough options to allow people to give input and so that we can see the experiences between a V6 and V8 Transmission.

I would appreciate it if people wait until they have at minimum 750 Miles on their Jeep before voting, only so that we are getting a good idea once the transmission has learned your driving habits.

Thanks!

kingbaida 07-24-2013 09:33 AM

Excellent initiative !!! I'm in !!!

jacko15 07-24-2013 09:42 AM

Re: 2014 JGC Transmission Survey

Will, I think the poll is a great idea. I certainly don't want to diminish the grief people with problematic transmissions are having, but I hope this poll puts things in perspective. I know Chevy's poll on owner's satisfaction seemed to show that most owners are happy. I also know results from a poll on this forum might be skewed, but with the fact so many people come here to complain, the skew will probably be negative. None the less, I hope we can get a general feel for how participants think the transmission works. It is disconcerting to read posts by those with problems that believe all the Jeeps with the 8 speed are junk. But I'm sure not all are perfect just because I'm not having problems. Can't wait to see results with a large input sample.

Willx 07-24-2013 09:47 AM

Jacko,

I am surprised how fast the votes are already rolling in, but yes I expect a slight negative skew as people often arrive here because of their issues. I liked Chevy's idea and it certainly gives perspective regardless of the skew.

jacko15 07-24-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 863818)
Jacko,
I am surprised how fast the votes are already rolling in

Definitely a hot button issue!

Willx 07-24-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 863825)
Definitely a hot button issue!

Yes sir, So far similar results to Chevyboy's Survey (more positive than I had expected from other threads) :)

Specx 07-24-2013 01:55 PM

I voted for V8 - I'm happy, but I'm sort of in-between I'm Happy and Mostly pleased. I've gotten use to Eco and don't fight it anymore, but I still love Sport mode when the roads are open. My only complaint is if I drive aggressive in sport mode and then suddenly brake, the transmission will jerk slightly trying to shift down and keep up. It's gotten much better from when I first experienced it and I try not to go from a sudden acceleration to sudden stop if the situation allows.

Willx 07-24-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 863979)
I voted for V8 - I'm happy, but I'm sort of in-between I'm Happy and Mostly pleased. I've gotten use to Eco and don't fight it anymore, but I still love Sport mode when the roads are open. My only complaint is if I drive aggressive in sport mode and then suddenly brake, the transmission will jerk slightly trying to shift down and keep up. It's gotten much better from when I first experienced it and I try not to go from a sudden acceleration to sudden stop if the situation allows.

This I know is on purpose, if you accelerate heavy then immediately brake the faster downshift is to give you better drag because clearly you are trying to stop fairly quickly.

Mikessrt 07-24-2013 02:55 PM

I'm Happy with the way it shifts, however I think it shifts a little early. I know it shift that early for a number of reason, but I would like for it to tach out a little more..

Willx 07-24-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikessrt (Post 864042)
I'm Happy with the way it shifts, however I think it shifts a little early. I know it shift that early for a number of reason, but I would like for it to tach out a little more..

Have you tried running with ECO turned off? A lot of people like the shift delayed a little and I know this does this, that is why I noted it as an option in the survey.

Willx 07-24-2013 04:14 PM

More votes please...

Mikessrt 07-24-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 864046)
Have you tried running with ECO turned off? A lot of people like the shift delayed a little and I know this does this, that is why I noted it as an option in the survey.

Yes, I have driven it in both modes.. I actually did a trip to South Carolina this past week. No Issues at all... I guess I'm being picky. Mileage was better then expected as well.. 20.1 in eco.. 18.4 with it off. :thumbsup: