Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Moving to FL, do i really need 4wd ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/moving-to-fl-do-i-really-need-4wd-63297.html)

mrmotoguzzi00 07-25-2013 03:37 PM

Moving to FL, do i really need 4wd ?

doing my pros/cons....

currently have a 06 wk 4wd hemi, toying with the idea of selling and getting a similar jeep in 2wd...

guessing a little better gas mpg ? maybe 2-3 mpg ?
less stuff to break ;)
quicker ?

get it lower easier ? (Mental Note - go check some more forums for slammed wk's..)

how rare are they ? seems like all of them in new england are 4wd... have never seen a 2wd version around here..

studio1930 07-25-2013 03:43 PM

Re: Moving to FL, do i really need 4wd ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00 (Post 864634)
doing my pros/cons....

currently have a 06 wk 4wd hemi, toying with the idea of selling and getting a similar jeep in 2wd...

guessing a little better gas mpg ? maybe 2-3 mpg ?
less stuff to break ;)
quicker ?

get it lower easier ? (Mental Note - go check some more forums for slammed wk's..)

how rare are they ? seems like all of them in new england are 4wd... have never seen a 2wd version around here..

It is a Jeep. It should be 4x4 (although I guess you could get a 2wd :rolleyes:)

What about sand? What about water (flash floods)? What about if you move again to an area with snow? What about vacations in areas with snow? What about if you ditch it on the highway and need to get out? What about resale value?

Lots of reason to get 4x4. You already mentioned some of the reason not to get 4x4 (add insurance cost as well).

LTrainGC 07-25-2013 03:55 PM

Where in Florida are you looking to move? I grew up in Florida (Tampa/St. Pete area) and went to UCF over in Orlando and never really had a need for 4WD, but it was nice to know I had it just in case when I had my WK.

You're probably rarely going to need to have 4WD, but its like they say: it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Chrali 07-25-2013 04:25 PM

Really ..... For a 2mpg gain you want to lose a vehicle you know and have spent cash on maintaining. Doesn't sound sensible to me!

SRTgirl 07-25-2013 04:32 PM

Well since you asked. I'm in very very south Florida and have a 4x4. Could not possibly be happier. Went without for a few years and now I'm back to driving the beach the glades the offroad groups etc etc. Not to mention trudging through the regularly flooded roads this time of year! :thumbsup:

Dealer lots down here are loaded with 4x2 Jeeps. My local dealers when I was looking had over 100 GC's and 0 of them were 4x4. I drove 2+ hours to get one I wanted. If you want a 4x4 bring it with you, LOL! :)

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-25-2013 07:04 PM

keep the 4x4 I go to florida every other month. its fun having on the beach, im sick of seeing dimwits with 4x2 suvs getting stuck in sand because they didn't know their suv was only 4x2

mrmotoguzzi00 07-25-2013 08:08 PM

thanks for all the replies guys and girls ;) you make some good points, and your right i know this wk and would have to the roll the dice again if i bought another one... yup 2mpg isn't a good enough reason to change if that's all there is...

will definitely keep it at least till i get down here, and if there are that few 4x4 wk's, are they selling at a good price ? hhhmmm :)

bobharly 08-08-2013 12:01 AM

Here are two thoughts:

2wd = traction control. Only 4x4 can fully disable the traction control. Search for ESCAPE's lowered 4x4. It's one of the coolest rides I've seen on this website.

I have a 2wd with a hemi, 2008. I get 11 mpg around town, 16 to 17 hwy. 19.5 on a road trip. That should answer your mpg numbers.

NoRice 08-09-2013 06:15 PM

2-3 mpg isn't worth it. I live in Pittsburgh and if any of you are familiar with Pittsburgh you know we get a lot of snow in the winter and have a sh*t ton of hills which makes having a Jeep so much better. However, if I was moving to Florida I would trade my Jeep in for the vehicle I had before the Jeep. A Dodge Charger! I miss my midnight blue charger every day. Damn snow and hills!

justinmiller930 08-18-2013 08:22 PM

What if you happen to travel back to PA to visit family or friends? Especially around Christmas time?! You'll definitely need four wheel drive. I have been contemplating trading my Wk in on something with better fuel economy as well? But I'm too afraid I'd miss my Jeep!

NoRice 08-18-2013 08:35 PM

I refuse to drive somewhere that's more than 4 hours away so I would just fly and either have them pick me up or rent a car.

jeremyc653 09-04-2013 04:59 PM

I live in tampa / st pete fl. There are plenty of places down here to use 4x4 dropping boats in water or 4 wheeler trails. there is also a lot of mud pits around.