Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Need Advice - Side Steps or Not (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/need-advice-side-steps-or-not-63327.html)

JeepProspect 07-26-2013 09:07 AM

Need Advice - Side Steps or Not

I am not planning to lease the dream Jeep until early next year, and by that time, there will most likely be a 4 or 5 month back order. I have been reading this forum getting ideas, advice, research, and knowledge, as I am new to off-roading. I intend to get rock rails on lease, or shortly thereafter. My wife is 4'11.5" and has arthritis in the knees. She has difficulty getting in and out of most SUV's and trucks. We currently have a Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (2 wheel drive on 4 wheel frame and suspension) and she must use the side step to get in and out. My question is should I get side steps with the rock rails? I will have the ORAII package with QL. I do not know just how low Jeep will go and if she will need them or not. Any insight to this will be helpful.

berk483 07-26-2013 10:00 AM

Re: Need Advice - Side Steps or Not

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepProspect (Post 864968)
My question is should I get side steps with the rock rails? I will have the ORAII package with QL. I do not know just how low Jeep will go and if she will need them or not. Any insight to this will be helpful.

If I am reading that correctly, you cannot put side steps and rock rails on at the same time. It's one or the other as they use some of the same attachment points. Rock rails alone may not give her enough purchase to comfortably get in as they don't stick out very far. Many say the same with the side steps, at least the mopar ones, because there really isnt a wide area to put your foot on. However I like them as I think they look good on it and I have gotten used to the space provided.

I would have your wife go with you to a dealership and try getting in and out of one with QL that way you will know what you need to get.

There are other aftermarket options that may offer a wider foot area to make it easier for her. Run a search and you will see some of the other options.

Hope that helps.

Jim_in_PA 07-26-2013 10:51 AM

My 83 yo mom, with knee replacements is able to get into the front seat of my Summit without too much issue with the QL in park mode. I don't think a step would help her much because of the way she has to swing her legs in. She's also very short...I don't know the exact height, but I expect it's under 5' with "shrinkage due to her age"... :o

I believe that Berk' is correct...you'd have to choose between rock rails and side steps as they mount at the same points, AFAIK.

mceb 07-26-2013 08:05 PM

My wife is 4'10" and the QL in park mode is a big help. So far we aren't thinking of adding side steps

BobsWK2 07-26-2013 08:30 PM

I think those running boards usually get in the way. They came standard on a 2007 Lexus GX470 I used to have and I never used them. And even when I did take my 80 year old mother in it, since she didn't have much strength in her knees, the running boards were of no use to her. I could see maybe young kids could use them, but thats about all they are good for.

n2fire 07-27-2013 11:35 AM

I agree I think the running boards get in the way. If you had it lifted then they might be helpful but I just have to step over them which makes it akward.

ernestd 07-27-2013 01:12 PM

Yes.