Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Max Steel or Crystal Granite (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/max-steel-or-crystal-granite-63338.html)

JoeyD 07-26-2013 12:35 PM

Max Steel or Crystal Granite
 
Greetings,

I actually have a '14 Durango on order but should have another week or so to change options before any changes are final. At this point, I'm pretty much final on everything but the color.

I could go with Black or White (I currently have black on order in fact). However, I'm now leaning toward either Max Steel or Crystal Granite.

I went to a dealer today and saw some GCs on the lot in those colors (not many durangos around....) They were pretty dirty (pollen dust) and it was pretty much direct sunlight. From my perspective in the direct sun, the Max Steel is a dark grey with a blue hue to it, while the crystal granite is a lighter gray with a brown hue.

I'm curious...for those that have GC in either of these colors, how would you say it looks it different light? (overcast, night, etc.) After living with your color in various lighting conditions...are you or are you not happy with your choice?

JeepGCOverland 07-26-2013 01:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Granite! I have a Granite Overland and was at one point going to order Maximum Steel, but I went to the dealer one night to look at colors and the Maximum Steel looked almost black. The Granite can give off a SLIGHT brownish hue in very intense sunlight, but otherwise is just grey. It darkens as the light fades, but never gets so dark it looks black. I attached some photos of my Granite Overland in various lighting conditions. Hopefully they help you get a feel for how the Granite paint acts in different lighting conditions.

MTC595 07-26-2013 02:03 PM

Re: Max Steel or Crystal Granite
 
I went with Max Steel and it is awesome.

Of course, it depends on whether you like blue or brown. The Max Steel looks grey in direct sunlight, but more blue steel in overcast situations.

Granite is a really nice color, but I didn't like the tan / brown tint to it as much.

Since both are metallic, they really pop in direct sunlight and I think look better than just plain black (the color of my last car.).

Mike

JoeyD 07-26-2013 02:17 PM

Re: Max Steel or Crystal Granite
 
Just the kind of replies that I was looking for. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I was in fact surprised that the Granite had that brown hue to it. (Not that it was bad...I was just surprised.) Every pic I have seen of this color (including yours, JeepGCOverland) looks purely gray.

I will have to take another look at the granite in something other than direct sunlight.

I may be leading toward Granite since the trim level of the Durango is Citadel and it has all that "chrome." The lighter color should diminish the "pop" of the chrome which is IMO a good thing.

They are both nice colors (so is the brilliant black...)

Youngneg 07-26-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland (Post 865119)
Granite! I have a Granite Overland and was at one point going to order Maximum Steel, but I went to the dealer one night to look at colors and the Maximum Steel looked almost black. The Granite can give off a SLIGHT brownish hue in very intense sunlight, but otherwise is just grey. It darkens as the light fades, but never gets so dark it looks black. I attached some photos of my Granite Overland in various lighting conditions. Hopefully they help you get a feel for how the Granite paint acts in different lighting conditions.

JoeyD,I agree with this statement.... Max steel was a close 2nd... But it is A tad to dark

bill_de 07-26-2013 03:34 PM

Re: Max Steel or Crystal Granite
 
The Max Steel is pretty bland on a cloudy day. When we had a week of no sun I thought to myself, why did I pick this color, but then the sun came out. :D

That said, if my last 2 vehicles weren't white, I'd have a Bright White sitting in my garage.


---

JeepGCOverland 07-26-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 865166)
The Max Steel is pretty bland on a cloudy day. When we had a week of no sun I thought to myself, why did I pick this color, but then the sun came out. :D

That said, if my last 2 vehicles weren't white, I'd have a Bright White sitting in my garage.

---

I agree that Maximum Steel is awesome in the sun. To be honest, I probably like Maximum Steel better than Granite when both are in direct sunlight. However, I like Granite better than Maximum Steel all other times, and all other times are most of the time, so I went with Granite.

JoeyD 07-26-2013 07:10 PM

Re: Max Steel or Crystal Granite
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 865166)
That said, if my last 2 vehicles weren't white, I'd have a Bright White sitting in my garage.

I was considering white, but in the end I think the flatness turned me off. If Dodge offered a pearlized white I may have gone with that.

Right now I'm leaning toward staying with the brilliant black or going with the Granite. My other car is a dark blue metallic, so I think I want something different in the garage. The Max Steel did look sweet in the sun though, and I think would go better with the tan interior than the granite.

Lol...this may all be for nothing anyway, the Durango order just went to Pre-release status, so I 'm not sure if I can still make changes to it even if I wanted to.. :)

JeepGCOverland 07-26-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyD (Post 865241)

I was considering white, but in the end I think the flatness turned me off. If Dodge offered a pearlized white I may have gone with that.

Right now I'm leaning toward staying with the brilliant black or going with the Granite. My other car is a dark blue metallic, so I think I want something different in the garage. The Max Steel did look sweet in the sun though, and I think would go better with the tan interior than the granite.

Lol...this may all be for nothing anyway, the Durango order just went to Pre-release status, so I 'm not sure if I can still make changes to it even if I wanted to.. :)

You'll be happy with whatever you get, trust me. :thumbsup: I have the beige interior on my Granite Overland, and it is a good combination. I don't think the Granite/Beige combo is any better of worse than the Maximum Steel/Beige combo, if that helps.

JustinS 07-26-2013 08:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This was my dilemma when placing my order for a GC Limited a little while ago. In the end i thought the max steel looks a bit bland & dark in overcast conditions, and can have a slight purple hue in sunlight. Then I saw Granite in the sun and that copper/liquid bronze effect won me over. :thumbsup:
The first pic is of max steel with that purple hue, the others are Granite.

Tony407 07-26-2013 08:33 PM

Re: Max Steel or Crystal Granite
 
Crystal Granite without a doubt.

Tony

HemiFan 07-26-2013 10:00 PM

Re: Max Steel or Crystal Granite
 
I prefer the granite of the two.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community