Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Don't get your nuts mixed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/dont-get-your-nuts-mixed-63401.html)

BobT 07-28-2013 03:19 AM

Don't get your nuts mixed

2 Attachment(s)
Its not often that wheel nut sizes are an issue but Ive become aware of an issue that needs highlighting. I recently bought a camper trailer and specified hubs to suit the wheels of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I supplied the wheels and the wheel nuts. The studs are M14-1.5 (14mm diameter with 1.5 threads per mm). I bought a set of 10 wheel nuts. One of the nuts screwed on OK but began to bind after about four full turns. I assumed it had a damaged thread. I was about to force it on with a large wheel spanner but thought I had better check first. The other 9 nuts had an M stamped on them but this one didnt (see photo). In all other respects the nuts looked identical. It turns out that the rogue nut had an imperial thread despite coming out of the same part number box. Earlier Grands had imperial studs of a similar size, that is X 20 ( diameter with 20 threads per inch). Had I forced the nut or had some tyre jockey with a rattle gun forced it on I dont know what would have happened. At best it would have seized. At worst, the thread could have stripped, the stud snapped, the stud rotated in the hub or the nut might have gone on with the stud left severely deformed and ready to snap.

I bought a couple of bolts to compare threads (see the second photo). I defy anyone to pick the difference visually. The longer bolt is the imperial X 20 and the shorter the metric M14-1.5. There is no danger of putting a 14mm wheel nut on a stud. It simply wont go on. However, the nut will start onto a 14mm stud giving the impression it is the correct nut and therein lies the danger.

In my case, as usual Bobby at www.factorymoparparts.com was very helpful in replacing the rogue nut although his first attempt again yielded an imperial nut. At his second attempt he assured me it had the M stamped on it.

moosehead 07-28-2013 05:40 AM

Re: Don't get your nuts mixed

Nice catch and helpful post.

The left nut is hangin' a bit lower than the right one.

jacko15 07-28-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 865844)

I thought that was normal.:rolleyes:

BobT 07-29-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 865844)

:lol::lol::lol:

bill_de 07-29-2013 07:13 AM

See what happens when the rest of the world decides to go metric? ... never should have done it. :lol: :slapfight: :lol:

---