Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Upper Dash Phone and Glasses Storage Solutions? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/upper-dash-phone-and-glasses-storage-solutions-63457.html)

Mark090852 07-29-2013 10:21 AM

Upper Dash Phone and Glasses Storage Solutions?

Does anybody have any ideas about a way to store our phone or glasses on the center area of the upper dash on our 2014 WK2s? There is a lot of wasted space in that center area. Many of my previous vehicles had a little storage area there that was perfect for glasses and a phone, etc. I know there is storage in the center console and also under the hard buttons in the center console area, but I am used to storing things up on the dash and find myself frequently exiting the GC and leaving my phone and glasses behind. I've seen sticky pads and jelly pads that purportedly will work, but was thinking more along the lines of a relatively flat ABS plastic tray that would attach with Velcro. Anybody have any ideas?

bill_de 07-29-2013 11:10 AM

Re: Upper Dash Phone and Glasses Storage Solutions?

There's eyeglass storage in the roof console. Although it sounds like you are saying, out of sight out of mind.

---

Mark090852 07-29-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 866480)
There's eyeglass storage in the roof console. Although it sounds like you are saying, out of sight out of mind.

---

Right, out of sight, out of mind. I'm used to glancing at the upper dash area and grabbing whatever is in the tray there, when I exit the vehicle. I'll eventually learn to check the existing storage areas, but I was hoping somebody had tried another option.

AAAA 07-29-2013 11:21 AM

I have that on my Subaru and had it on my company car, but I can understand why we don't have it: in a crash items on the tray become projectiles at head height.

Herb4372 07-29-2013 11:21 AM

Doesn't help but FYI. I read an article several months back about dashboard storage trays. That manufacturers were eliminating them because in the event if a hard stop the items would fly out. Imagine an iPhone in a 30+ mph collision...

Mark090852 07-29-2013 12:01 PM

AAAA and Herb, good points. I never looked at it that way. Probably best that I not pursue it. Thanks for the "heads up". No pun intended. lol

Tony407 07-29-2013 04:04 PM

Hard mount/charger for my Samsung Epic by Proclipusa.

Tony

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps6450a725.jpg

mceb 07-29-2013 06:21 PM

Yea storage is tough to come by in the '14. Agree ProClip is a great solution but wasn't crazy about the mount locations for the JCG (over vent or horizontally along center console on passenger side) so I skipped that for now.

I've been sticking my wallet and phone in the cup holder or inside center console (iPhone 5 fits nicely).

Sunglasses I've been using the compartment in roof console.

nachojeep 07-29-2013 07:14 PM

The inside door handle is a good storage spot for wallet/phone. Took some getting used to.

The center tray below screen works well also especially if you decide to plug your phone into the USB.

mswlogo 08-27-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 866650)
Hard mount/charger for my Samsung Epic by Proclipusa.

Tony

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps6450a725.jpg

Can you provide a link to the Base Unit of that ProClip. I don't see it listed for Grand Cherokee 2014.

I'm not so keen about the Over the Vent Mount or the Console Mount.

The one for the 2002 GC was perfect.

Tony407 08-28-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 883664)
Can you provide a link to the Base Unit of that ProClip. I don't see it listed for Grand Cherokee 2014.

I'm not so keen about the Over the Vent Mount or the Console Mount.

The one for the 2002 GC was perfect.

The base isn't made by ProClip. It's made by ProFit International.

Amazon.com: Pro.Fit International UL-242BG UltiMount V2 Universal Vehicle Mount: Car Electronics

Tony

Matty470 08-31-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb4372 (Post 866489)
Doesn't help but FYI. I read an article several months back about dashboard storage trays. That manufacturers were eliminating them because in the event if a hard stop the items would fly out. Imagine an iPhone in a 30+ mph collision...

If your items are stored on a tray on top of the dash in front of you, wouldn't they fly forward and hit the windscreen in a sudden stop or accident.:confused:
They won't hit you at all....