Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Coolant disappears.. Misfire cyl 1, 2 and 3 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/coolant-disappears-misfire-cyl-1-2-and-3-a-63471.html)

AudreyHell 07-29-2013 04:06 PM

Coolant disappears.. Misfire cyl 1, 2 and 3

Hi,

I had a misfire code in cyl 3, then replaced a spark plug. It was fine for a bit and now Im getting codes for 1, 2 and 3..
I figured it was the coil pack so I went to the junkyard and got one and put it in.. Then she wouldnt even start!!
I put the old one back in. She starts now but still misfires...
THEN SUDDENLY all of my coolant is just disappearing!! Shes smoking white (slightly grey) smoke out of the tail pipe...
Anyone know whats going on?

AudreyHell 07-29-2013 04:08 PM

2001 jeep cherokee.. Sorry i forgot :/

Frango100 07-29-2013 04:47 PM

Re: Coolant disappears.. Misfire cyl 1, 2 and 3

Seems to be a failed head gasket or a cracked head. Its clearly burning off the coolant in at least one cylinder, but probably in all 3 cylinders 1, 2 and 3.

AudreyHell 07-29-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 866669)
Seems to be a failed head gasket or a cracked head. Its clearly burning off the coolant in at least one cylinder, but probably in all 3 cylinders 1, 2 and 3.

Sorry, im not really familiar with using message boards.. My friend came over and we did the test where the chemicals turns yellow if its the gead gasket. I do think it is, but im curious about this;
-since I had to temporarily replace my coolant with water, would the chemical react differently?
-if water has a lower boiling point, would it be more likely to bubble up that way?

Frango100 07-29-2013 10:57 PM

Sorry, but i'm not familiar with the chemical test stuff.
But if you don't have any external coolant leak and you see white smoke coming from the exhaust ( with engine at operating temperature), then you can be sure that the coolant is entering the combustion chamber and be burned of (or in fact it just becomes steam). There will be a sweet smell to the exhaust gasses as well, due to the coolant.

2005JGC 07-30-2013 12:26 AM

the "block tester" will still work with just water, BUT the problem is that if you have lost alot of coolant and added a lot of water, sometimes it can take some run time for the chemical to do its job.

Smoke out of the tail pipe CAN be normal, if your not driving it a lot or not running it for very long, moisture will accumulate in the exhaust and burn off normally as the jeep warms up. It can be pretty excessive at times too.

How is the misfire, is it like a dead miss like at least 1 cylinder isn't contributing at all> One thing to look at on the 4.7l is the rocker arms, and fortunately for you bank 1 is the drivers side. Rip the valve cover off and verify your rockers are all where they need to be. Again ONLY if you have a dead miss. If this is a problem it can throw the adaptives so far out on 1 bank that most or all of the cylinders start missing on that bank.

Head gasket is a VERY real possibility and not an uncommon one.

AudreyHell 07-30-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 866832)
Sorry, but i'm not familiar with the chemical test stuff.
But if you don't have any external coolant leak and you see white smoke coming from the exhaust ( with engine at operating temperature), then you can be sure that the coolant is entering the combustion chamber and be burned of (or in fact it just becomes steam). There will be a sweet smell to the exhaust gasses as well, due to the coolant.

Thank you Frank. Sucks. Im trying to figure out what I need to do with her

AudreyHell 07-30-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 866853)
the "block tester" will still work with just water, BUT the problem is that if you have lost alot of coolant and added a lot of water, sometimes it can take some run time for the chemical to do its job.

Smoke out of the tail pipe CAN be normal, if your not driving it a lot or not running it for very long, moisture will accumulate in the exhaust and burn off normally as the jeep warms up. It can be pretty excessive at times too.

How is the misfire, is it like a dead miss like at least 1 cylinder isn't contributing at all> One thing to look at on the 4.7l is the rocker arms, and fortunately for you bank 1 is the drivers side. Rip the valve cover off and verify your rockers are all where they need to be. Again ONLY if you have a dead miss. If this is a problem it can throw the adaptives so far out on 1 bank that most or all of the cylinders start missing on that bank.

Head gasket is a VERY real possibility and not an uncommon one.

Yeah. Its def the head gasket. It only look like 45 seconds for the test fluid to turn yellow and it bubbled up like crazy.
I just needed to double check with outside sources..
I bought her for $1200... So far its up to $5000, pretty much gutting her out, but that includes sale price, registration, etc. ive pulled some maneuvers.
*If I need to replace the head gasket.. Should there be much more to look out for? (Known common issues).. Cuz im pretty broke now

Frango100 07-30-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 866853)
> One thing to look at on the 4.7l is the rocker arms, and fortunately for you bank 1 is the drivers side. Rip the valve cover off and verify your rockers are all where they need to be.

Is it not the 4.0 we are talking about:confused:

AudreyHell 07-30-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 866881)

Is it not the 4.0 we are talking about:confused:

Frank, the chemical test confirmed the head gasket is blown.. First i had misfires in cyl 1, 2 and 3. Replaced the coil pack and unfortunately it was a bad one. Coolant is disappearing. Shes burning coolant instead of fuel. Smoke comes out of the tail pipe. I think shes worth saving though :)

lstowell 07-30-2013 05:03 PM

One problem with replacing coolant with pure water is that the boiling point is lower.

If you DO have a head gasket or cracked head or anything else where coolant is getting into the cylinders, that can drive heat out of the engine and into the coolant which heats it faster.

The bigger worry would be that if you get very much coolant or water in a cylinder, the engine will destroy itself. Water doesn't compress, and as the piston comes up, it will either bend the connecting rod, damage the cylinder head, make the hole bigger, or all of the above.

I'd think you should see bubbles in the radiator if you take the cap off when cold and start the engine.

AudreyHell 07-30-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 867214)
One problem with replacing coolant with pure water is that the boiling point is lower.

If you DO have a head gasket or cracked head or anything else where coolant is getting into the cylinders, that can drive heat out of the engine and into the coolant which heats it faster.

The bigger worry would be that if you get very much coolant or water in a cylinder, the engine will destroy itself. Water doesn't compress, and as the piston comes up, it will either bend the connecting rod, damage the cylinder head, make the hole bigger, or all of the above.

I'd think you should see bubbles in the radiator if you take the cap off when cold and start the engine.

We took the cap off when cold and starter her up, but that was after we had already sucked some coolant/water out because it smelled awful.
Im a cook so i know water boils at 212 and the coolant btl said 265, but i only started her up for a second for the block test and after like 45 seconds, crazy bubbles and clearly yellow...
I talk to my fav shop, theyre hookin me up. Got her towed there.. Theyre short handed atm but i told them to take their time since theyre a small shop doing me a favor :)