Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Rear wiper issues.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/rear-wiper-issues-63472.html)

AudreyHell 07-29-2013 04:08 PM

Rear wiper issues..
 
My rear wiper isnt working. Fluid comes out, but no wiper movement..
I replaced the motor, so that wasnt the issue.
Is the switch a dual functioning switch?

2001 jeep cherokee

Frango100 07-30-2013 02:40 AM

Re: Rear wiper issues..
 
There seems to be a different fuse for the wiper motor then for the washer. Did you check the fuse first?

AudreyHell 07-30-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 866883)
There seems to be a different fuse for the wiper motor then for the washer. Did you check the fuse first?

Yes. Put in a new circuit breaker and replaced dead fuses, but i will def double check :)

lstowell 07-30-2013 05:13 PM

Re: Rear wiper issues..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyHell (Post 867084)
Yes. Put in a new circuit breaker and replaced dead fuses, but i will def double check :)

If you can get at the motor wiring, pick up an inexpensive Radio Shack voltmeter or similar. I usually take a couple of the missus ordinary needles and carefully probe the wiring [so as not to nick up the insulation]

Typical auto circuit has the battery + voltage going to the destination at all times, usually thru a fuse or breaker, and just applies a ground to turn it on.

Caution, the ZJ GC did this, don't have a wiring for the Cherokee....

If you can probe and get +12 on one side of the motor, the fuses/breaker would seem to be OK. If not, pick up a wiring diagram and back track.

If 12v is present on one side, you can use a jumper wire to ground the other side of the motor to see if the motor itself is toast.

PS: J. C. Whitney has those short rear wiper blades. The Silblade brand lasts for years and years, and comes in colors.

AudreyHell 07-30-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 867219)
If you can get at the motor wiring, pick up an inexpensive Radio Shack voltmeter or similar. I usually take a couple of the missus ordinary needles and carefully probe the wiring [so as not to nick up the insulation]

Typical auto circuit has the battery + voltage going to the destination at all times, usually thru a fuse or breaker, and just applies a ground to turn it on.

Caution, the ZJ GC did this, don't have a wiring for the Cherokee....

If you can probe and get +12 on one side of the motor, the fuses/breaker would seem to be OK. If not, pick up a wiring diagram and back track.

If 12v is present on one side, you can use a jumper wire to ground the other side of the motor to see if the motor itself is toast.

PS: J. C. Whitney has those short rear wiper blades. The Silblade brand lasts for years and years, and comes in colors.

You mean a test light? Im confused. I jumped the wires up front where the switches are with a 1/2 safety pin.. It didnt well determine anything..
Shes in the shop now for something else, but im def not a mechanic..
If youre willing.. Explain in layman terms, ill def try again:)

Frango100 07-31-2013 02:23 AM

Re: Rear wiper issues..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyHell (Post 867378)
You mean a test light? Im confused. I jumped the wires up front where the switches are with a 1/2 safety pin.. It didnt well determine anything..
Shes in the shop now for something else, but im def not a mechanic..
If youre willing.. Explain in layman terms, ill def try again:)

He just means to use a simple multi meter. You could check for voltage and you could also check the ground wire for continuity (the last with the multi meter in Ohms (resistance) position)

lstowell 07-31-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Rear wiper issues..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyHell (Post 867378)
You mean a test light? Im confused. I jumped the wires up front where the switches are with a 1/2 safety pin.. It didnt well determine anything..
Shes in the shop now for something else, but im def not a mechanic..
If youre willing.. Explain in layman terms, ill def try again:)

No, I meant if you could get to the wires going to the motor in the rear.

You could use a test light to see if either side has voltage. Dunno if the test light would allow enough current to intentionally ground the low side lead to see if the motor turns. A radio shack meter is pretty cheap, and you can check for shorts, etc. with power off. The cheaper ones won't have detachable probes, but they are very small, and you can literally stick a needle in the wire itself and then touch the meter [or test light] probe.

This assumes you can get into the wiring in the first place or if it is as much a pain on the cherokee as it is on the grand.

Hopefully it is just a blown fuse, but having a blown engine on the 4.0 [unless it had a gazillion miles on it] tends to make me suspect that the prior owner may not have deserved to own a Jeep. I used to run that 4.0 to redline in places that make Death Valley seem like a cake walk in Nevada and it was still in excellent condition when traded at near 170K [near because the speedo died]

lstowell 07-31-2013 02:42 PM

Re: Rear wiper issues..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyHell (Post 866653)
My rear wiper isnt working. Fluid comes out, but no wiper movement..
I replaced the motor, so that wasnt the issue.
Is the switch a dual functioning switch?

2001 jeep cherokee

See if this link helps....

how do you test rear wiper assembly? (Also - which fuse? 1999 XJ) - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

AudreyHell 07-31-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 867696)
No, I meant if you could get to the wires going to the motor in the rear.

You could use a test light to see if either side has voltage. Dunno if the test light would allow enough current to intentionally ground the low side lead to see if the motor turns. A radio shack meter is pretty cheap, and you can check for shorts, etc. with power off. The cheaper ones won't have detachable probes, but they are very small, and you can literally stick a needle in the wire itself and then touch the meter [or test light] probe.

This assumes you can get into the wiring in the first place or if it is as much a pain on the cherokee as it is on the grand.

Hopefully it is just a blown fuse, but having a blown engine on the 4.0 [unless it had a gazillion miles on it] tends to make me suspect that the prior owner may not have deserved to own a Jeep. I used to run that 4.0 to redline in places that make Death Valley seem like a cake walk in Nevada and it was still in excellent condition when traded at near 170K [near because the speedo died]

Yeah, i can check the wires. The door is still off from when i replaced the motor..
The front panel where the switch is, is still off too.. Ill check those wires too

AudreyHell 07-31-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 867701)

Thanks!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community