Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   2014 Air Ride Rough at OR2 height (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/2014-air-ride-rough-at-or2-height-63518.html)

Baalic 07-30-2013 06:30 PM

2014 Air Ride Rough at OR2 height

Hey guys, I have noticed that sometimes, "though not always as I found when I couldn't re-create the issue at the dealership", while in OR2 height in my 2014 Overland the thing literally feels like I am riding on bricks. Every Little bump, shift in the road and you hear the shocks/suspension banging around as if I solid suspension. This was tested on city streets, obviously at a lower mph, and I would expect a little more firm, but literally it feels like I'm riding around on bricks....

I tried taking it to the dealer to re-create the issue, but then, it was just soft and the ride was great, as I would expect, the only time you heard the suspension maxing was when I decided since I couldn't recreate it normally I would start jumping curbs and aiming for pot holes....and then you could hear the same sound and feel that jolt but only in those circumstances......

Am I just over thinking this? Or is this an issue. I tried to test drive another Overland, the problem is when they know I'm not going to buy another one, they are hesitant to even give me the time of day, especially when they know I bought my current one at a different dealer that's 300 miles away.. so they didn't really want to put gas in it for me to test drive, I got a hint pretty well.....

Anyways, thoughts guys??

Alaska-HWY JK 07-30-2013 07:05 PM

Re: 2014 Air Ride Rough at OR2 height

There are threads regarding this. Its an air ride suspension when inflated to get lift it rides stiff. My wifes 2012 Overland is the same. We wheeled it on a bunch of trails and roads in Sedona a couple of springs ago. It rides like crap on OR2 mode. I'll only use it when going real slow in low range. If I don't need clearance Auto or OR1 at most.

Baalic 07-30-2013 07:34 PM

Mine has only been used on city streets for testing, some days it rides ok, obviously stiff, some days it's literally like I'm riding on solid axles...

Like today, it rode just fine, over normal roads, no issues or complaints, the day before yesterday, I could have sworn I was on a go-kart going over the roughest road possible, .....on my neighborhood street....

The only thing that made me question it was the inconsistency in the way it rides in OR2...

weck 07-30-2013 09:45 PM

How many miles do you have on the jeep and do you expose it to a lot of rough roads or no? The suspension needs to break in a little, it takes a couple three thousand miles for the new suspension stiction to loosen up.

Give it some time to break in.

Baalic 07-30-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weck (Post 867351)
How many miles do you have on the jeep and do you expose it to a lot of rough roads or no? The suspension needs to break in a little, it takes a couple three thousand miles for the new suspension stiction to loosen up.

Give it some time to break in.

Less then 900 miles, and it has yet to be wheeled at all. Straight mall crawler at the moment though eventually we will take it camping with us.

bill_de 07-30-2013 11:02 PM

Maybe there is a reason the owner's manual says that this position is for off road use only.

I don't see why air suspension needs to break in.

---

TheSiltSurfer 07-30-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 867379)
Maybe there is a reason the owner's manual says that this position is for off road use only.

---

Agreed. Also off-road2 mode is painful I realized this the first hour I had my Overland. If you want a smooth ride honestly should have gotten the Steal spring models. My last lifted 12 would have owned my current 14 Overland on the trails, just not on the streets in terms of smoothness. It's never going to change suck it up or pray they make that wicked Trailhawk and then trade up +)

nonopr01 07-31-2013 06:39 AM

I rather have this than the self leveling shock my 2012 had with the clunk problem another 38,000 people have.

weck 07-31-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

---

Well, you have the control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, as well as the seals of the shock absorbers (QL still has shocks in there somewhere, otherwise your wheels would be bouncing down the road), upper strut bearings, etc. etc.

All of these points of movement will get smoother as the parts break in.

Every new vehicle I have ever owned, cars and motos, the ride has gotten noticeably smoother a couple thousand miles in. I don't see why a JGC would be any different.

lstowell 07-31-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

---

The off road use only would apply to the fine old Jeep traditions of
"curbs are merely advisory"
"its a Jeep thing"

Huge potholes, curbs, etc. are pretty good stand ins for having to drive an hour to get to a trail.

It is a tad harsher in OR2 than OR1 it seems.

I'm so far [coming up on breaking 3K miles this weekend] surprised at how good auto mode works, but so far I haven't tried anything worse than Oh-My-God trail.
[not that trusting of the Latitudes, just sprung for winter tires, need to cool the budget before putting on better Michelins]

JoeD 07-31-2013 02:01 PM

If OR2 mode the down travel in the suspension is almost maxed out. It's more for slow moving situations.
If you read any of the 4 wheel rags they all comment on the clunking from the suspension hitting the droop stops.

Baalic 08-01-2013 12:17 PM

Sometimes inget the clunking sometimes not which is why I'm scratching my head.. I understand it will be stiffer, the times where its not clunking actually is a lot better ride then 90% of lifted trucks I've driven, its just when its in a solid state of clunking that annoys me... Anyone think temperature may play a role here in the difference?