Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   please help no overdrive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/please-help-no-overdrive-63523.html)

twitcheyshane 07-30-2013 10:32 PM

please help no overdrive

1999 keep grand cherokeeI bought it knowing it would need a new motor soon well after a week or two of driving the motor finally went out so I replaced the motor.....well Asher replacing the motor I have no over drive well let me rephrase that I do have it but I have to wait about 10 minutes after driving then while going down the road I have to put it in neutral then cut the vehicle off while cruising then cut it back on then put it in drive then it overdrive will start working....I've already adjusted the kickdown cable a thousand times and there its no check engine light on all other gears shift smooth...motor is a 4.0 automatic

Frango100 07-31-2013 04:53 AM

Re: please help no overdrive

Did you check for any fault code set? Ignition switch off/on three times and leave in on at third time. Odometer will show Done when all ok, or any fault code.
Are you sure its only missing overdrive, or is it stuck in limp mode. Does it feel sluggish when starting to drive? Did you check the fluid level?

twitcheyshane 07-31-2013 10:37 AM

there are no codes and the jeep runs perfect its just the overdrive that is not working, as far as the codes i havent done that what is the process of doing that....like i said in the post i can cut the jeep off going down the road and start it back and then it starts engaging in overdrive

Frango100 07-31-2013 11:37 AM

I saw a complaint before like this and finally the transmission was just in limp mode and didn, t switch gears at all. The torque converter was doing a heavy job, but it was still driveable. So you are completely sure it changes gears from first to third?
Switching ignition off on could reset the limp mode.
When you switch the OD button on the shifter, does the OD off light on the instrument panel com on and when pressed again goes off?

twitcheyshane 07-31-2013 01:01 PM

Yes the overdrive light comes on when I turn it of and goes of when I turn it back on......and yea it shifts as smooth as a babies butt first through third....like I said when I get it to work you couldn't ask for a better transmission

Frango100 07-31-2013 07:07 PM

Presuming that no work has been done on the transmission itself, we could rule out a problem in the transmission. Overdrive is switched by a signal from the PCM, which activates the overdrive solenoid on the valve body.
I would start checking the connectors on the PCM and see if no pins are damaged or pushed in. Also the same for the connector on the transmission.
Several inputs to the PCM are used for the switching into 4th gear. The coolant sensor is one of them. Is the coolant temperature indication normal?
Regarding getting the fault codes you have to do the key dance: ignition switch OFF/On three times and leave in ON at the third time. The odometer will show DONE when all ok, or a fault code(s).

twitcheyshane 07-31-2013 07:19 PM

The temperature reads good always around 210.....

Frango100 07-31-2013 07:41 PM

Is the jeep nearby, so that you can do the key dance?

twitcheyshane 07-31-2013 08:36 PM

No codes when I did the key dance

twitcheyshane 08-01-2013 04:35 PM

Did figure something out when my overdrive works...I have no first gear coming from a stop it stats in second

Frango100 08-01-2013 10:19 PM

Are you sure that the gear shift cable is properly adjusted? Is the cable mounted in the exact same way as it was before and not passing in a different way?