Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Bostom amp wiring question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/bostom-amp-wiring-question-63526.html)

suzieque 07-30-2013 11:19 PM

Bostom amp wiring question

I need a switched power source for a relay and the nearest source is likely my Boston amp.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the 2 plugs that are going into the Boston amp in the cargo area? I figure there has to be a switch power source in one of those wires. :confused:

dr.lee.baugh 07-31-2013 07:35 AM

This may help:

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/...tail/a_id/5773

brentwoodkris 07-31-2013 08:32 AM

Re: Bostom amp wiring question

Scroll down on this link for the amplifier pinouts: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Audio system pinouts

suzieque 07-31-2013 11:25 AM

thanks guys that does help!

It's interesting that the power to the Boston Amp is "constant", explains another device that is draining some power from the battery.

brentwoodkris 07-31-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 867607)
thanks guys that does help!

It's interesting that the power to the Boston Amp is "constant", explains another device that is draining some power from the battery.

I could be wrong, but the way parts of the CANBUS system were explained to me was that the CANBUS wires on that amp act like the accessory/remote wire, where the amp only turns on and draws power when the CANBUS headunit is turned on...

At least I don't really have any power drains from my battery...

suzieque 07-31-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 867628)
I could be wrong, but the way parts of the CANBUS system were explained to me was that the CANBUS wires on that amp act like the accessory/remote wire, where the amp only turns on and draws power when the CANBUS headunit is turned on...

At least I don't really have any power drains from my battery...

I put a multimeter on the plug with the key off and I saw +12V.

brentwoodkris 07-31-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 867679)
I put a multimeter on the plug with the key off and I saw +12V.

Was that an input or output? If it's an input, it could be just like I said, where a remote switch from CANBUS needs to be tripped before it actually starts "drawing" power. Else, it's just a hot lead, which is true for all amplifier power cables.

dr.lee.baugh 07-31-2013 03:04 PM

Glad it helped.

x2 on the above. The amp should not be drawing power (but the wires will still be hot) until it gets a message from the CANBUS system to turn on.

This is precisely why when replacing the head unit and retaining the factory amp you need a wiring harness that can interface with the CANBUS to turn the amp on when the hu powers up.

brentwoodkris 07-31-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 867715)
Glad it helped.

x2 on the above. The amp should not be drawing power (but the wires will still be hot) until it gets a message from the CANBUS system to turn on.

This is precisely why when replacing the head unit and retaining the factory amp you need a wiring harness that can interface with the CANBUS to turn the amp on when the hu powers up.

Glad someone could verify my meaningless conjecture.

suzieque 07-31-2013 04:20 PM

thanks guys, its all good now.

in addition to the Boston Amp, there are a number of other wiring harnesses in the back of the WK. I unplugged each harness and probed around until I found a wire that provided +12v when the key was on. Not sure what the wire is actually powering, but its pink with a yellow stripe, I tapped into it and it works for my relay, so I'm happy. :)

brentwoodkris 07-31-2013 04:24 PM

Hmm, wiring harness on the left side of the vehicle near the Amp and fuel tank with switched power...probably the fuel pump :)